Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

LOOSE LAY KARNDEAN - update from old thread

Page 1 of 9
Today 8.1.2013. Have found a colour I'm really keen on in Karndean LOOSELAY. I'm not keen on them just being placed on floor and would rather it be glued. Salesman says lifetime warranty, really tough and hard wearing, wont come unstuck but I'm just not convinced? Any potential for that happening? Bet that's not covered under warranty. Opinions or experiences would (again) be very much appreciated.
(I think this one is actually ok with the marri furniture and still let's them shine, whereas darker timber colours seem to diminish them)

First thread:
Hi all
Need your help please. Had vinyl planks in last home and although we initially loved the look, the feel and easy care of them, they scratched very easily and did not cope well at all with our 2 large dogs. Even just vacuuming would scratch them. I was sure we would go for tiles this time around but after reading a couple of very positive comments on another thread I thought I'd put it out there. Maybe we just had a bad batch?
Thinking of Karndean, Camaro or Kenbrook as an option.
Vinyl planks, yes or no?
We don't have ours yet so it is hard to comment. But we ordered samples from karndean and we've been far from gentle with them and they still look good, but perhaps order some and do some testing of your own to determine if you want to give them a second chance.

I hope they are as good as some of the reviews I've read. We picked them for the pact we felt they would be better then the wood laminate we could afford and we didn't want tiles due to them being too cold in winter. We also are going for a white kitchen so wanted the warmth wood flooring would provide.

Good luck!
Hi fmac. Thanks. We are also having a white kitchen and agree with you, they add warmth. Good idea, I will order some samples and scratch the bejesus out of them lol
We have vinyl planks in this house and love them. We will be using vinyl planks in the new house also. We don't want spend money on solid wood, hate the hollowness of laminate and I really dislike tiles/grout. So vinyl planks was an easy choice. Our current ones are Explona superplanks I think
We have a 3yr old and 1yr old so many toys including ride on toys and dragging furniture etc No scratches

You are talking proper vinyl planks yes? Not vinyl layer on piece wood (just clearing up due to confusion in another convo last week haha)
Thanks LeanneR. Have just googled the Expona Superplanks. I will add them to my list for ordering samples. Do you remember by any chance what colour you went for? I wonder whether colour choice would make a difference to not noticing scratching? We had a shiny dark cherry last time, so this time around I would probably opt for plank with more 'personality' like a Camaro Washed Oak. (same supplier as Expona but possibly not as tough?)
We went with Honey Oak which is actually a commercial grade one so has a thicker layer on top or something. Next house we like tarkett - soft brown oak I think colour is. Both from Carpet Court

Eta:
Some quick photos, sorry from iPhone. Here's the honey oak in different lights

This is sample piece of the tarkett one we got quotes for for the new house

Hi LeanneR, the honey oak looks amazingly like the aged cherry ones we had. Your new choice looks great too and has a bit more grey in it by the looks of it. I'm now certain we will go for the vinyl one more time. This time around it will be perfect??!!
However I am torn between Karndean for reputation and wear and Camaro for looks. I have 5 samples at home
and am more than confused.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input, I'm glad I asked. (Thanks to patty cake too)

PS! LeanneR do you use photo bucket to upload photos from your iPhone? I use an ipad and photobucket is always frozen on here. To upload photos I have to use my laptop. Such a pain, there must be an easier way?
SB: I have the photobucket app to upload pictures on the iPad but then log into the regular page to get the link to insert into the post. It is a bit of a pain but I rarely turn my laptop in these days so still quicker then starting that up
You shouldn't have to log in to the web photobucket to get the link. Can't you just open the photo in your album in the app and select the i in the bottom right and it pops up with the img to select which should copy automatically?

Hadn't worked out how to post pics to here via the app. I'll have to try!
It's not working for me. No i button and no photobucket without logging in and having to upload each picture from my laptop. Maybe different version of ipad? Or maybe simply just an IT ignoramus? Probably the latter. Thanks anyhow for trying to bring me into this century.
the joys of technology!

Yeah I use PB app on my phone I load photos then open photo and press 'I' like mentioned above. On computer I use the website and have no issues.
If your app isn't working delete it and download again. This fixed couple apps that kept freezing for me
I had a go last night with the app on the iPad and now I see how to do it! So much easier, might have to update my thread with the prestart selections

Just wish they would create an iPad specific app rather then using the iPhone one.

Would really value some opinions here please. Are the first 2 pics too grey to go with our marri furniture? Top pic is a Karndean Light Worn Oak and the 2nd a Kenbrock Norwegian wood vinyl plank against my entertainment unit.The third is our last home. I always thought the floor blended too much with our timber furniture, so this time I wanted it to have more of a contrast but still be warm. I dont normally have trouble choosing but this really has me stumped.
If I can't make a decision soon I might have to opt for tiles after all, which will hurt the budget for sure

Help?

VIA iPAD PHOTOBUCKET. yayyyy j
Based on pictures I like the first one as it is a little less grey and seems to be a little darker with a little more brown in it but not sure how different the two are in real life.

Though you've now got me thinking. In our rental the wood floor is quite light and yellow and is a nice contrast to our dark brown furniture, hope our floors won't be too close in colour with our furniture!
^^+1 - love the top one and Marri does have a slight greyness to it in some lights so I think it will complement beautifully. I LOVE marri. Keep walking past the marri dining tables in HN and places like that and drooling.
Oh and yay for iPad PB!
Also yay for the iPad thing! I smiled when I read that comment! Thanks SW for pointing out the little i made my long update much easier!
Ok yay, you both like the first one. I was slightly leaning that way myself.
Marri furniture was spur of the moment, a slightly mad one, just couldnt resist type of one, courtesy of homeloan. Never regretted it though. Most of it is now in storage, can't wait to get the dust of them when we move into our new home.
Related
26/03/2024
Help! Why are my hybrid floors coming loose?

General Discussion

A Sabco spin mop, minimal moisture, not very regularly. I was told these hybrids are water resistant 🤷‍♀️

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum