Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

House & Land Packages vs Separate

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Does anyone have a rough idea on the difference in cost to build a house and land package vs doing it separately? in Brisbane if that helps.
If the exact same thing was done just one as a package and one where we buy land and then build
I work for a company that will allow me to get doors and windows cheaper than normal, will either of these options above make a difference to whether I can organise my own doors and windows?
I have plenty of other questions that I will research but this is the one that is my starting point.
Thanks
Hi

We are building in Sydney, but from what similar sized house and land packages are going for as opposed to buying the land like we did then building seems to be about $40k extra.

Cheers
Sam
just do the sums. Find out the price of the lot and the price of the house. I have found there is no difference here in the west between a package and buying the land then finding a builder.
Ask all the builder's if they will allow owner supplied goods. Most won't. But there are some out there. Builder's insurance won't cover your items so you would need to get insurance. Door's especially seem to grow legs and disappear.
Not quite at the stage of ringing around builders, that will come in the near year.
If we were to buy land for lets say 250k, and then say a G J Gardiner house for 200k, what extras would there be? would the total 450k be it or would it jump up by another 50k?
depends on what you add in the way of upgrades - if you can be firm with yourselves it won't cost any more - ask if siteworks are included - they will add to cost.
The difference between a house and Land Package and buying separates is that H&L package usually include fixed site costs and estate guidelines cost but they are for specific lots/blocks only. But if you buy separate you can pick your choice of block but you would have to add site cost and covenant charges which may vary from one block to the other and you may not be able to get fixed costs.

Just keep in mind that your H&L package price is not your final price as there would be additional government charges and other unforeseen costs.

As far as providing your own materials, most large volume builders would not allow this for various reasons, however a small builder may be more accomidating. So check with your builder first.
My understanding here in the WEST if you liked a house and land package it would cost the same as if you bought that land seperately and put the same house on it.

My understanding are buidlers have a set price for each house and then the cost of extras. Our contract has our house at a set price, then their are allowances for the flooring depending on what you pick etc.

Be wary of the advertised price of house and land packages, I would be surprised if anyone has bought one and not paid extra somewhere (for upgrades, changes etc).

Even if it is advertised as turn key you may not want or be happy with the spec offered.
You are rarely comparing like for like when you compare house and land with buying the land separately.

A lot of packages are based on the cheaper blocks that may be small, have poor orientation, and/or on a busier road. ( also see http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=996)
Yip aware of the possible variation in price, and that not prime position etc, mainly trying to gauge whether it will cost similar to do the same thing ourselves kind of thing, ie if we found a decent house and land with decent fixtures etc and it would work out to be a fair bit cheaper doing it that way we would go for it, but if for similar/slightly more we can personalise it more then that would work best. We would be going for a higher end house and land if we were to do it not the cheapie ones.

For example, if we were to do this via a house and land vs buying similar sized block in same area and building same/similar house
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-thorneside-111334131
strawberry234
Yip aware of the possible variation in price, and that not prime position etc, mainly trying to gauge whether it will cost similar to do the same thing ourselves kind of thing, ie if we found a decent house and land with decent fixtures etc and it would work out to be a fair bit cheaper doing it that way we would go for it, but if for similar/slightly more we can personalise it more then that would work best. We would be going for a higher end house and land if we were to do it not the cheapie ones.

For example, if we were to do this via a house and land vs buying similar sized block in same area and building same/similar house
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-thorneside-111334131

I think a house and land package would generally be cheaper because of little things like taking out separate loans for the land and house, stamp duty.
I found a large difference between house & land and building alone.

I built a custom home but it was a lot nicer than the house that would be built in house & land. Although I did end up spending 30K more (I obviously didn't calculate this before the purchase).
Iris
I think a house and land package would generally be cheaper because of little things like taking out separate loans for the land and house, stamp duty.

Stamp duty is less when you buy the block separately as opposed to h&l package as far as we were told. From what i understood you pay stamp duty only on the block if you buy it on its own, but if you buy h&l package you pay it on the total price. Could be different for different states though. I think you are better buying your own block and then talking to builders to get the best house for your money. You can bargain in certain things that way and you know what you are getting for your money.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this form, just wanted to check if anyone has bought a house & land package before in the Gerogery Hill area. As we are about to sign in a contract with EB homes for an unregistered land in the Corella release. Has anyone gone through this process before? as we are about to put a 5% deposit for the package and me and my husband are a bit worried of the process? We are first time home builders and very nervous and existed at the same time

Thanks
Eve22
Eve22
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this form, just wanted to check if anyone has bought a house & land package before in the Gerogery Hill area. As we are about to sign in a contract with EB homes for an unregistered land in the Corella release.

There is another thread titled something like "Gregory hills roll call" plus another "who else is building with EB" that would probably have heaps of info you are after. Best of luck.
Thanks for your Help Robbie55
This post on this forum is too good. I like your discussion about House & Land Packages vs Separate.
Related
27/01/2024
Porte cochère - separate pedestrian gate/path?

Building A New House

Thank you so much for your response. I have drawn a pedestrian gate in - for curb appeal, let's see how much costs come in at. I think you're right - if we decide to…

14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

3/05/2024
Seeking Advice: House and Land Package on Subdivision Proper

General Discussion

I'm based in Adelaide and I'm considering purchasing a house and land package from Weeks Homes. I found a deal that looks good, but there's a complication: the land isn't…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum