Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things you forget - summary page 32

Page 1 of 62
Hello All,

We just went through our colour selection and I wondering if anyone had suggestions on things to look out for before contract. You know the little things that you forget. For instance, our sales consultant forgot to give us an electrical plan! We tried to review the plan and add in lights in areas where the standard lighting wouldn't be enough. But what about powerpoints?

I read someone talking about meters before. Should I be looking at the meter box? You don't know what you don't know. And we don't know what we may have overlooked. So anything that you later had to add or change?

Thanks!
Jewel
we forgot powerpoint in hallway.....very annoying when vacuuming....luckily I dont do it very often!
vanderlay
we forgot powerpoint in hallway.....very annoying when vacuuming....luckily I dont do it very often!

We did too - dammit.
jewel47
Hello All,

We just went through our colour selection and I wondering if anyone had suggestions on things to look out for before contract. You know the little things that you forget. For instance, our sales consultant forgot to give us an electrical plan! We tried to review the plan and add in lights in areas where the standard lighting wouldn't be enough. But what about powerpoints?

I read someone talking about meters before. Should I be looking at the meter box? You don't know what you don't know. And we don't know what we may have overlooked. So anything that you later had to add or change?

Thanks!
Jewel

Hi Jewel, long time no speak!!!!

We added the following to our place:

Upgraded facade.
You'll have to raise the ceilings to 2590 for the Chase estate minimum.
Brickwork above windows and doors (including garage door) instead of FC sheet/cladding infills.
We upgraded the skirting boards to 90mm and the architraves to 67mm.
We added double doors to 3 rooms to close them off if we needed to (Study/Living/Rumpus)
Added wall to Living room along hallway with the double doors
We upgraded the door furniture (internal)
Added a glass splashback
Added 40mm kitchen benchtops in Caesarstone and upgraded to level 2
Privacy locks to toilets/bathrooms
Cabinetry to laundry
Upgraded towel holders to double rail
Upgraded shower screens
Increased qty of heating ducts from 10 to 12
Upgrade toilet suites
Add downlights to all living areas
Installed 4 x Two way switches for lights
Surge protection to switch board
Additional garden tap
Soundproof batts to multiple rooms
Extend shelving in pantry
Slimline light switches instead of std profile
Added Brivis Ice air-con to 12 points

From your PM, I know your building the Cottesloe with H3nley, so we have plenty to chat about... I hope that this info helps...Will send you a PM soon.
We forgot or didnt think hard enough about outside power and lighting requirements.
I also forgot to put an electrical and water conduit under the driveway.
* 12volt electricity for garden lighting
* Water pipe for automatic watering system.
Door bell
Alarm
Ducted vac
important if building double storey as retrofitting can be difficult
a handy thing we got was a water tap provision in the fridge space, so if u get a fridge with a water thingy at the front u dont need to go thru the hassle of hooking up water supply, cos u'lll have a tap there!! hehe

also junction boxes at the front of the house for sensor lights or stuff like that....

good luck!!
If you are going to use a cordless phone, a powerpoint near your phone line is essential
Ok, I did miss quite a bit! Those are all excellent points. I am making a list now. I thought about the water tap in the fridge space and then I totally forgot about it. We are planning on upgrading our fridge and I forgot about the tap thing.

I have to have powerpoints in the hallway for vacuuming. How can we be expected to remember all of these things and worry about the big stuff like how we will pay the mortgage, lol.

Thanks everyone, I just love this forum!
Make sure you......arrrr...ummmmm.

That's right!
you have to........ hmmmm

be back soon!
check your site for the closest gas point, telephone point (if using Telstra in Sydney), and water point. Builder will use the "closest" path to connect to those things, which in some cases might not be what you want/expected. So make sure you clarify that with your builder.
I did not forget this, but was reluctant to have it included.
INSULATE YOUR HOT WATER PIPE!!
My builder said that it is only the one that run through the ceiling that will be insulated. i should have asked him to include those in the wall.

You dont ask, you wont get. this is my lesson.
We added extra heating ducts to our ensuite and bathroom.
We have it in the unit that we're currently renting and love it!
Hi VJ
Will it become useless as there are also exhausts in the ens and bathroom?
Quote:
Will it become useless as there are also exhausts in the ens and bathroom?

We only open the exhaust after having the shower.
Hi there all,

I must say, we can add realms of points, but taking into consideration the following points:
- your brand new home,
- you paying the mortgage,
- getting through the first winter,
-etc, etc, etc,

A MUST for all new homes is a Heater Point in the Bathroom!!

You'll thank me for it once you move in!
Quote:
INSULATE YOUR HOT WATER PIPE!!

Don't the pipes themselves have some insulation?
Quote:
A MUST for all new homes is a Heater Point in the Bathroom!!

We didn't forget this..
because we like having it in our rental unit now.
remember to ask to builder to widen the width of fridge space to >=1000mm as most of the Korean ( Sam*ung, LC...) side by side fridge are ~900mm wide
a post somewhere in this forum talked about what upgrade you have gave me a lot of upgrade idea , search and read it.
Fly screens and window locks.
Does the kitchen include a built in microwave spot?
Some power points on internal back walls. (so it ,makes it easier to put external sensor lights in)
Do any doors come with security locks, included??
Related
1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

5/06/2023
OB in SA: Do you need a permit? recommendations

Owner Builder Forum

Looking to start the journey of becoming an owner builder in SA. Feeling pretty (overly) confident on the building and construction details, but really struggling to find…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum