Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Which Garage Door?

Page 1 of 1
Our builder is offering a standard garage door including timber look, however we saw some really nice garage door at some of the display homes.

I know that they are going to be an expensive upgrade but can anyone give any feedback on them. I know some of them are made with makrolon inserts and some with real timber inserts. Been told that Makrolon can be cut with the knife which makes me a bit sceptical about it (but like the look of the door).

Below are some pictures of garage doors that we would like to consider. Can anyone provide an approximate upgrade cost and if these doors really worth the money or should we just go with standard generic garage door?

So does anyone have any opinion on these doors or perhaps some experience?
No idea on upgrade cost, but just my own personal opinion, I don't like the checker board pattern of the 1st and last pics. It stands out too much. I prefer doors that blend in with the facade like the 2nd pic.
d@n
No idea on upgrade cost, but just my own personal opinion, I don't like the checker board pattern of the 1st and last pics. It stands out too much. I prefer doors that blend in with the facade like the 2nd pic.

What about things like getting hot inside of the garage on hot summer day??? is that an issue? any other pros and cons for these kind of doors?
Thanks
Hi Aubingrovefan,

We recently had a timber garage door installed (Not like the ones above, just plain timber boards - untreated, as I oiled it to match our windows) and price-wise it was a little over twice the price of the fake timber aluminum doors (To have it treated/oiled would have added another grand on to it.)
AubinGroveFan
What about things like getting hot inside of the garage on hot summer day??? is that an issue? any other pros and cons for these kind of doors?
Thanks

Might be an issue if your place faces north, but who spends a lot of time in the garage?
If the garage faces north or west and has an internal door to the house, then all that hot air can come thru.
There was a post a few months go about a petrol can exploding in a hot garage - keep it somewhere cool.
Like d@n, I prefer the simple designs too - not the checkerboard.
Just on the aesthetics.... I still can't understand why people choose to make their garage stand out as a feature instead of their front entrance....???

For this reason I prefer plain doors. In the last pic the squares are a bit more in balance with the front door colour and stone feature tying the scheme together more. Still, a bit too busy for me.
+ 1 treeseachanger.

BUT OP it is YOUR house, ultimately it is only you who can decide if the upgrade cost is justifiable. If you love it then do it.
Related
26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum