Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Changing plan that have been submitted??

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I came across this site and thought someone may be able to help me.

I am buying a townhouse off the plan and all everything has been signed and submitted however the building hasn't started yet.

I want to change the single garage to another living area which would  really just involve changing the roller door to a window and putting down carpet. I would like this done at the time of building rather than later. Does anyone know if changes can be made at this late stage? And what it would involve?
Thanks 
Hi Rae,

There are a few factors with this issue

Factor 1 - Plans would already be approved by council, therefore chances of the developer agreeing would be close to zero, as they would to need to relaunch their application for approval.

Factor 2 - Certain estates have requirements such as, 3 bedroom homes must have minimum 2 off road carparking spaces. Being that yours is a town house, there would about zero front yard, so your 2 spaces would be garage and small driveway.

My suggestion to you would be simply to ask the builder (if not already supplied) to install an internal entry point between your hallway or lounge or meals and garage. Then after hand over (if not already gyprocked) get a plaster in to gyprock the internal lining of the garage, and then have a wall added. as below diagram will ensure that you have a storage space (being a townhouse you may not have room for a shed) and also another living space... perhaps a cinema room.

Good Luck
Thanks  1stbuild your reply is really helpful. 
It looks like it may have to wait till I get the keys. Fortunately I have the end townhouse so I have a little room to add a carport.
Would I be able to make other changes inside the property with the plans already submitted?
Could I move the kitchen cupboards around a little if the developer will allow it?

Thanks again for your time.
It might involve more than just removing the roller door and slapping down some carpet - first you need to check with your local council to see if they will allow it.

If they say it's ok then there are a few things you need to take into consideration - I dug up a not-too-bad guide on the process here:

http://garages.about.com/od/garageconve ... _Space.htm
Related
7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

1/09/2023
Moving a chandelier after it has been mounted

Lighting + Lighting Design

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding moving a chandelier after it has been mounted. The chandelier in question is quite large, measuring 4 meters…

13/05/2024
Builder that hasnt been paid final payment

General Discussion

Hey Buddy I am so sorry to hear. I have been going through something very similar. In our case a client owed us circa $200k for the final payment and moved in without…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum