Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

What normally happens on hand over day?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Just like to clarify what normally happens on hand over day, specially about all those last minutes issues that you pick up.

Does the builder write down all the items, and "promise" it will be fixed, and still consider that as "hand over completed" and continue to hand over the key, and ask for last payment at almost the same time?

Or do they fix the problem, ask you to return and double check, once you satisfied, then hand over the keys and ask for payment?

Sharing of your good/bad experiences and any other suggestions would be really appreciated as we are handing over soon!
I've wondered the same thing as my handover is coming up soon.

I was told by a friend the other day that she thinks that what usually happens is that once the builder is finished / all cleaned up / etc you are notified that the house has reached practical completion. The you agree to meet with your building supervisior (& I guess your own independent inspector if you so choose) to walkthrough the house. It's at this point you discuss any items that need fixing, then your builder has up to a week to have them fixed. Then you have the official handover then. (This is all heresay, so would love to have someone in the know confirm / deny my understanding).

What I'd also like to know is how payment is handled, and when you actually receive the keys. For instance, when are you invoiced by the builder for final payment? Is this made on the practical completion inspection date or handover date? If you bank needs to organise a valuation to be made, and if the general leadtime for payments is say 7 days.....Does this mean whilst your handover maybe set for a certain date, that you can't actually take posession of the property until the bank makes the final payment? If that's so, you could be locked out of your completed house for up to a week after the handover date????

Is that right or am I totally wrong? I've never built a house before so I don't know ... BUT I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO DO KNOW..... PLEASE HELP FOLKS....
I recently built with Eden Brae, a mid size building company here in Sydney (and I believe in Melbourne too)
We had our final inspection where everything that needed fixing was noted, in fact the foreman noted about 50 things and we noted about 10.
About a week later when we had an invoice for the final amount (we had a dozen or so post contract variations) we met with our customer service rep and another girl form the office, handed over the cheque, signed a few pieces of paper and we were handed the A4 envelope full of keys.

It was pretty uneventful and much quicker than I thought.

The week inbetween final inspection and handover many of the things that needed fixing were and there has not been a problem getting the other fixed after handover.
I had my handover this week.
Basically we had an initial meeting about 10 days ago, where a few minor issues were pointed out. A new date was set which was this Wedneday.

90% of the issues were fixed with a few things written down as post handover - ie fly screens go on tomorrow whereas all the appliances go on a day when I move in which is still around a month away as I am laying parquetry flooring on both floors.

Overall went smoothly. The supervisor also didn't have the key to the bi fold window with him, but I wasn't going to delay handover because of that. He should give that to me next time I see him.
blackmax
I was told by a friend the other day that she thinks that what usually happens is that once the builder is finished / all cleaned up / etc you are notified that the house has reached practical completion. The you agree to meet with your building supervisior (& I guess your own independent inspector if you so choose) to walkthrough the house. It's at this point you discuss any items that need fixing, then your builder has up to a week to have them fixed. Then you have the official handover then.

We have our handover in 2 weeks & our SS has told us exactly the same thing... Inspection with us which takes around 1 hr. Then they have a week to fix any issues, then official handover the following week.

Cheers,
Mike.
Related
18/02/2024
Electrical and plumbing plans post hand-over?

Building A New House

If there have been changes, variations, during construction then the drawings should be revised, the building permit amended and the current, as built drawings given to…

12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum