Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

What will a 300k budget for a house get us?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

Appreciate all your advice and ideas in advance.

Hubby and I are planning to build a home - never done this before so it's all new to us. Our max budget for *house only* is 300k and ideally that would cover driveway, fencing, landscaping etc - so a finished home if you will.

I'd love to be able to walk into a display home and say "yep, build me a replica" but I don't know if 300k is realistic. If it is, what should I be looking at in terms of size and finishings?

Cheers
$300k is enough for a nice single storey house that is about 300sqm in size that is pretty much complete with some luxury inclusions.

Otherwise $300k gets your a fairly basically finished 2 storey house that is about 350sqm in size.

This is all in Sydney.
depends on the size of the house and how "good" your landscaping is.....

also on block, slab type and sloping or not?
Apologies, should also mention it would be in the Southern Highlands of NSW.

We're looking at a completely level block if that helps?
Im assuming house only does not include land, i think for that price you will have lots of options available. Most display homes will give you a price for the basic and a price "as displayed".
Our base price was $145 i think and finished price was $304 which includes ac and carpet - we still need to add tiles, curtains, fence and garden.
I second adgn's answer.

We r building a 30sq single storey house with lots of luxury upgrades like 40mm Caesar stones throughout, 600x600 or 600x300 porcelain tiles in non-carpet areas, back to wall toilets, feature tiles in bathrooms etc and we are paying $260k.

We will have to do exposed aggregate driveway, 1meter path around the house, agi drains, basic landscaping, fencing that would probably set us back another $20k or more.

Then there is windows coverings, fly screen security screens etc, more lightings upgrades, that's probably another good $20k or so.

All up approx 300k.
mr.21
I second adgn's answer.

We r building a 30sq single storey house with lots of luxury upgrades like 40mm Caesar stones throughout, 600x600 or 600x300 porcelain tiles in non-carpet areas, back to wall toilets, feature tiles in bathrooms etc and we are paying $260k.

We will have to do exposed aggregate driveway, 1meter path around the house, agi drains, basic landscaping, fencing that would probably set us back another $20k or more.

Then there is windows coverings, fly screen security screens etc, more lightings upgrades, that's probably another good $20k or so.

All up approx 300k.

Who did you build with if you dont mind me asking?
Also i assume given this post was several years ago that you are living in the home now and wanted to see if you encountered and problems during and post building.

Thanks for your time and post
wow only 9 years ago $300k got you a nice home.... $300k in todays market probably wouldnt cove a 20sq single story single garage home let alone driveways, landscaping and fencing well not in Sydney anyway
CD12JD
wow only 9 years ago $300k got you a nice home.... $300k in todays market probably wouldnt cove a 20sq single story single garage home let alone driveways, landscaping and fencing well not in Sydney anyway

So who did you build with and how was the building experience?

Can you elaborate a little?
Related
6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum