Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

National Builders Group Sold?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All, I'm building in Shepparton with National Builders (Monteleone Brothers), I've been told today that Mega Homes has bought out National Builders Group, lock stock and barrell, anybody have any comments?
I have heard that as well but do not know specifics.
Worked with National Builders Group in early Sept 2011 to alter plans for Buckingham 360E Study to suit our needs. Paid $500 deposit which, in accordance with NBG's own paperwork, is fully refundable if build does not go ahead. Requested full refund on Sept 23rd. Have still received nothing and calls and letters go un-returned. My last 5 phone calls to the relevant staff member have ended up with the receptionist saying 'he has just stepped out'. I realise others stand to lose much more in terms of money (and with them all the best) and want to strongly advise any potential custmers of NBG to fully do their research first. I certainly would not recommend them.
I too have heard rumours that National Builders has been sold but I don't know of the details.

I have had many issues with both National Builders and my assigned builder. I signed my contract in Dec 2009 and my house is only at lock-up with no end in sight. Based on my experience I would not recommend them.
I was told only yesterday from an ex-employee of National Builders that Mega Homes have brought out National Builders. We to are building with NBG but luckily were handed over to our assigned builder just before this happened. Apparently all NBG staff were called into a meeting last Thursday and were told they were out of a job, they got of everyone apart from 5 or 6 sales staff. I was also told that all NBG display homes are currently for sale, and the sub contracted builders could buy the plans to these homes or even the display homes if they wanted to, but at a very high price, most builders turned this offer down apparently, funny that..
In my opinion National Builders were useless, their Customer service was appalling, the only thing they had going for them was nice big houses without all the bells and whistles that other companies have to suck you in, what you saw was what you got. We signed our contracts with them back in August 2010 and have only recently seen a slab go down, from day one we have had nothing but problems with them. They advertised that they will change plans to suit your needs they should have actually added a statement saying in doing this you will add another 12 months to you build cause no-one at NBG can get the plans right!

Anyway that’s my whinge for the day good riddance to them I say, I am sorry for anyone that lost money or had their dreams shattered by this company.
MM interesting - we finished our home with NBG a couple of years ago and assume all our warranty would be through the contracted builder not NBG so probably no effect to me. I had a fairly painfree expereience with NBG and extremely happy with our house. That said as we're about to do it all again for the in laws - we didn't even look at them this time.
Yes, it appears that "National Builders" will be going into administration,

We didn't build with them, but our neighbors also paid there 5% deposit and are now left without a house and they to have been trying to ring National Builders Epping and the National Builders South Melbourne head office but have had horrific ride of messages and receptionists, I think there was also another National Builders thread on here about a similar story.
NBG has been sold -not going into administration.
There is a house in our estate with frame and roof up just left to rot. Been like that for ages. Apparently it NBG. Feel sorry for the owners.
dazandstace
There is a house in our estate with frame and roof up just left to rot. Been like that for ages. Apparently it NBG. Feel sorry for the owners.

Perhaps it's an NBG house+land package they were building to sell later - a lot of the big names were doing this in new developments a while back, but most of them now wait for a contract to be signed before commencing on a house+land package build because I think quite a few of them got stung a little with "pre-built" house+land packages that they couldn't sell quickly/at the asking price due to the downturn in new house sales/construction and general lowering of property values we've had recently.
Also, remember that once building has commenced the contract is with a specified builder NOT NBG-something that many people seem unable to grasp. NBG was a co-op situation which started the initial process and then your contract is with a nominated builder-being part of the "co-op" allowed greater purchasing power and the builders paid a nominated fee to be part of said "co-op".

So if contracts had been signed prior to the buyout, then clients should not be affected as their build is already under the auspices of the builber concerned- NOT National Builders group.
My apologies as they are being sold, even though the contract is with the specified builder National Builders could at least do a better job looking into the builders credibility and maybe try to manage the build to ensure the houses get complete? I mean after all if there are more incomplete homes it will surely tarnish there name.
Valid point Zyme..but when we built with them we researched the builder concerned prior to commencing. We also went in with our eyes fully open, understanding that once NBG had completed their side of things it was us and the builder-just like any other build.

As long as the builder pays their fee to NBG, then NBG has had their contractual obligations met.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason some builds will always turn into less than satisfactory experiences for the clients. As in any industry, there are builders who are reliable and effecient...just as there are those who are not.

I would just ask all posters to abide by the Forum Terms of Use-to protect themselves as well as others.
Related
15/04/2024
Pro finish tiling group

Renovation + Home Improvement

The wallopers will just say it's a civil matter.

15/06/2023
WA Builders

Building A New House

Site works are just about to start on our build with Blueprint in Midvale. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=106894

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum