Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Second house on the same block, what to do?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I would like to build a second house on the same block of land as it is quite large. I have been doing my homework and making phone calls for the last week, but havent been given on a definate direction.
->I rang Porter Davis, they said i had to get a permit from the council myself "dual accupancy" as they dont do that sort of thing, then i can talk to them further about the design/plans etc.
->I rang the council, they said i had to get a drafter and talk to him first. Best thing to get is a local drafter!.
->i range the drafter, they say they can get me up to the building stage including getting me a few builders which i can pick.

and so on

I have a few question which need your wisdom.
1. Should i see a drafter first and talk to him about my plans to see what he suggest?
2. One of my friend told me i should go to an Architec? Is it too expensive?
3. My plan is to get a building permit first and perhaps get someone well known, like Porter Davis to build the house. Is that sound logical?
4. Some ppl said get a builder and he will do everything, from planning, permits, bulding etc. Is that a correct statement?
5. Is there any company out there that can do from A-Z?

Any help or ideas would be appriciate.
Quote:
1. Should i see a drafter first and talk to him about my plans to see what he suggest?
Yes, and be specific and realistic about your budget. If necessary I suggest you speak to your bank first to work out how much money you have available to spend on the ENTIRE development, not just the building works. Design the development to your budget, not the other way around!!

Quote:
2. One of my friend told me i should go to an Architec? Is it too expensive?
Can be very expensive and they do not always design to your budget but I suggest you talk to one or two first. If you know what you want and have a liimited budget and are not wanting to create a work of art then you would be better off with a basic drafter.

Quote:
3. My plan is to get a building permit first and perhaps get someone well known, like Porter Davis to build the house. Is that sound logical?
Not necessarily. Do PD do one off houses or do they do their standard designs? I would talk to the drafter first, tell them you are thinking of a standard design PD or other cookie cutter type house plan and let them incorporate that into the development plans.
There are issues of copyright etc on the house plans but I am sure that can be worked out as the drafter needs to know the shape and size of your proposed home in order to plot it on the block in order to draw the development/site plan for approval in the first instance.
Keep in mind, standard designs from volume builders are always cheaper to build so long as you don't change anything!

Quote:
4. Some ppl said get a builder and he will do everything, from planning, permits, bulding etc. Is that a correct statement?
Not all builders do design and construct and for a one off design etc it will cost you more money.

Quote:
5. Is there any company out there that can do from A-Z?
Heaps and they will describe themselves as builders and designers. You will need to call a few or try http://www.bangitup.com.au as the only ones that respond to you will be the ones that are interested

Hope that helps a little, good luck!
Thank you very much Builda. It helps me alot, now i know what to do (may be
). I will be seeing a draft man this afternoon. I am planning to build a single house around $140-$160K plus "extras" $20K aside just incase. I am assuming you are a builder, where about are you locating builda?, I am in Springvale, if you are interested in the job in that location, can you please PM me your details? i will contact you and we can have a little chat.
you may also wish to consider the GST and capital gains tax implications of this project before proceeding.

There's nothing worse than having a tax shock when it comes time to eventually sell.
My experience with local draftsmejn is that they have absolutely no idea of what things actually cost. Consequently we get all sorts of plans coming in via our office.

A lot of times, potential clients have spent thousands on plans that we then have to either re-draw or re-work to fit an unrealistic budget.

I've seen things like ensuites built on the boundary with a fixed window right on the boundary. Whilst this can be done it is costly and unworkable in most cases.

Get a builder invovled once yu have some preliminary plans and you'll be surprised how much this sort of input can assist the whole project.
Thank you for your advice Bigbadkev, it's so hard to build. I wish i can have a budget to buy a house + land package.
At the moment i am still looking for a draftmen. So far i have been speaking to three and able to find out about the cost involve.
Drafting:
1. Planning permit
2. Builing permit

Total charge up to a point i can build cost $7000 to $10000

Building:
Not much info yet but most builders are asking for $10 K per square metre
I hate to be the one to break this to you mate, but I see the cost of the blowing out.

First up: Your Council will need to be satisfied that sufficient works have been undertaken to service the second dwelling. This will require the input of a civil engineer = $$$

Second: Those civil works have to be done - and your cookie cutter builders won't do it.

Third: Make sure that the DA is for a subdivision, not just a duall occ, otherwise you'll only be able to sell the houses together. IF a subdivision is granted, you will have to get a licensed surveyor to prepare linen plans, DPs, etc. This will then have to be submitted to your state planning authority.

Fourth: Because the house is a one-off, not a cookie-cutter, expect the cost of construction to be closer to $1200-$1300 per sq. m (not square) for a basic house.

Finally: If you subdivide, you will have to pay Council contributions.

I did a subdivision last year, here's how the costs panned out for the owner:

1. Professional fees: Architectural, civil, structural, geotech: ~$50,000
2. Court fees (Went through L&E court): ~$15,000
3. Civil Works: $50,000
4. Excavation: $20,000
5. House (280m2 3-storey clad house): $520,000
6. Council Contributions: $35,000

Total: $690,000
Valued at: $790,000

So it was still worth it for him, but it did take 3 years in total
OMG, sound scary.
I am sort of backing out of building ATM. May be it is wiser just to get a house and land package. I went to Mc Laruen the other day, they are the real prefesionals. Telling us what problems we currently have and need to be corrected before building. It's sound too difficult and costing, therefore may be we'll just try to save more $ and get a house in a year time or something.
1. Problem 1: My block of land is odd, i have 7 neighbours. Will cost more $ if one of the neighbour objects.
2. Problem 2: Chimney needed to be cut off, drainage tubing need to be underground, windows needed to be 1.2 metre high.

and so on.

By the time i do the math...&^%$%^, may be i should get house and land package, as the capital gain will be better in a long run.

Thank you so much for all your advices, it helps me alot.
Junk3569, this type of developement is very common & yes if you're not experienced in the building industry or source the correct advice there is a good chance of getting burnt.
If you are serious about developing the site then the initial step is to get planning approval before doing anything else.
Speak to the Planning Department, check out what they require, what overlays &/or covenants are in place on your particular site & then find a building designer to prepare the submission.
If there is a similar dual occupancy development in the area drop in for a coffee & a chat & ask if you can have a copy of their submission.
Check at the planning dept's front desk to see if similar projects are on the go to give you an idea of what's required.
If you are looking at more than around $5000 for a firm to prepare a 'standard' dual occupancy application i'd be shortening my xmas card list.
Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum