Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Milano with McDonald Jones

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone...We are considering building the Milano 15 with McDonald Jones Homes & have been reading many post regarding piering of slab with MJH...can anyone explain why the correct amount of piering is not included in the original tender/ contract instead of being an extra @ later date sometimes double what was originally quoted...is this not why we have a contour survey & geo tec report...if we need a higher class slab is this quoted in the tender. I am also curious as to tile selection for the bathrooms...is this process done at a specific tile business or the colour selections centre. I am concerned about choice available. All help regarding the building process with MJH would be much appreciated.
Hi Isabellesfolly,

Soil test will indicate slab type. Piering is not included in the base price of the house and it's $80 per linear meter with MJH. They do put an approximate piering in the tender, given the soil report. Our plan showed where the piers are going to go. However, it is uncertain how deep until they are actually done, as depends on the stability of the soil. Sites that have a lot of fill when they are developed generally need deeper piers.

Regarding tile selection, I did mine in Bella Vista colour studio, so not a tilling place. I wasn't too happy with a choice of floor tiles as did not go with brown tones. Wall tiles were OK, but then again I was looking for white tiles only.

Hope this helps.
Hi Everyone
Well decision made we will be building with MDJ again!!! We built some 6 years ago before they had become such a large company and the process was very different for us as they allowed installation of our own designer kitchen from our selected company including applicances, glass splash,gas fire as showing in most display homes today also our own vanities and this was all done during the construction period as there was not the choice available at that time through MDH and no colour studio as there is today.
I have many questions and hope that I can get some answers on this thread regarding the building process today, we are paying our deposit to the sales consultant tomorrow so the "FUN" begins all over again.

We are considering building the Milano 15 near Maitland so will be doing all our colour selections etc; @ Thornton so would appreciate any help regarding what is standard in the kitchen department what choice is available for cupboards,drawers and stone benchtops as standard or upgrades & what brands are used & what we can upgrade to & any advice that will help us through this process. Also need input regarding brick selection as we are having difficulty with difference between some bricks which are a solid colour but others are painted or have a slurry over the top which apparently will show different colour if chipping occurs. We have decided not to bag or render our home this time just plain brick. Will do colourbond roof & gutter in Bushland, Surfmist or Evening Haze for facia with Pearl White for windows & stacker doors not sure about garage door colour yet...any suggestions would be welcome regarding brick type/colour to match in with the above colours scheme.

Now for the all important question...can anyone suggest an independant building inspector in the Maitland area that they have used for a steel frame home as we have decided to go this way for peace of mind..I have read on another thread that someone @ Morpeth who built with MDJ used an independant inspector and thought it was the best way to go...ALL HELP APPRECIATED & THANX IN ADVANCE
Hi Isabelle
We are looking at building the Milano 16 with MJD in Sydeny. A knock down rebuild. So I'll be very interested to keep up with your progress although I'm sorry I will have no insights to give you as we follow behind you in the process. Interested to know why you have decided not to render bricks this time. Did you have problems with the last house or just a style choice? Did your last house have a steel frame. This is what drew me to MJD.
KT
Hi KT
Nice choice for home design but I am bias!! We decided not to bag or render (both a different process) as we wanted to have something different to our neighbours who both bagged their homes and unforutatley for them they both chose the same colour for the exterior wall and look identical since they are both next to each other apart from their design. We elected to use a PGH brick which cost us an extra $2400 so we are different from the neighbours. Our last home did have a steel frame and we were more than happy with it that is why we elected to go with MDJH again even though we had issues with them as builders (better the devil you know). I have much insight to offer regarding building with MDJH but will add this in followup post.
I have also used my regular interior designer who has co-ordinated the total exterior colours scheme from roof to driveway to compliment the bricks. My designer has helped with selection of all cabinetry colours for kitchen/bathroom including stone benchtops,external/internal door handles all based around the colour scheme we selected for the internal wall /doors with consideration given to the colour of the large 600 tile that I have elected to use througout the home along with the carpet that were both outsource and will be laid after handover. This process has all be done before my attending the colour selections room and only took just under 3 hours.
My designer will also attend my colour appointment (MDJH are happy to allow this) and help with the selection of tapware,kitchen door hardware, tiles for the bathroom/ensuite/ laundry & kitchen splash (not using glass this time will explain in later post) and making sure that all of our previous selection completed through her studio are all available but this should not be a problem as I used all brochures from my colour selections pack and my designer has rooms full of samples from laminates to stone and everything in between. I must add that using an interior design consultant is not as expensive as one would think and worth every cent!!! this is the biggest investment you have and your personel interior designer takes time to know your style and what you are trying to create.
I will endevour to keep all updated with our building of the (Milano 15 Two) at Maitland.
Cheers Isabella
Hi Isabella
Thanks for all the great info. Very interested in the idea og getting help with design choices both inside and out. I know what I like when I see it but where to start is the hard thing.
We just spent a couple of days checking out a few mjh we hadn't seen yet. Good thing is we are now firm in our choice of the Milano. Just hope it can be placed on our block to make the most of the sun. We are knocking down our existing house and our block is triangular because we are at the end of a cul-de-sac.
How is everything going for you?
Hi all
We have made a decision to build the Milano 16. Wanted to add the study but with our odd shaped block it would make getting into garage awkward. Haven't made many other changes. Just a door to ensuite and 1 m added to side of garage for bikes etc. Oh, and 2.7m ceilings.
Chose the Bali resort facade but still not sure about this. Also like contemporary and country cottage. Anyone have one of these facades and like to advise?
Saw the Bali Resort facade at Wongarah on the Chesterfield and it felt really relaxed and comfortable.
Isabella, which facade are you having?
Anyway, REALLY excited already.
KT
Hi all
We are also building the Milano 4 at Stonecutters. I love the design of this home we have not changed much at all.
Also really excited can't wait.
Hi We are thinking of building the Beachouse at Fern Bay and are waiting to get title to our block. We are trying to prepare a budget so would appreciate help with this if you have built in this area.
Hi newdeal, cant help with prices in your area (we are in Sydney). We are only at the beginning of the process so dont know what we will be up for in the end but just wanted to say i so love the beachhouse. You have made a great choice there. We will be building the garden retreat which is the only one that makes the most of our big side yard.
It was seeing the beach house at harrington while on hols that convinced us that the MJH style was for us. That was last Jan and we only just paid our deposit last week. No one could accuse us of rushing in to these things!
KT
Hi guys thought i would say hi, we are building the Milano Two as well 16M in Gregory Hills. we have decided to go with the Balanise Tropicana Facade (the missus prefers this one) i quite like the pavillion facade which is the same as the milano 4 at kellyville ridge.

we have just signed our CT and we have our colour appointment booked in for late jan next year. happy to help with any questions.
Hi everyone,

Thought that we would finally get involved in this forum, weve been looking through it for months. We are building the Milano Two 15m (Classic facade) at Largs (Maitland). We managed to get on to the construction list on the last week before MJ shut down and are looking at having a slab down by mid Jan!
isabellesfolly
Hi KT
Nice choice for home design but I am bias!! We decided not to bag or render (both a different process) as we wanted to have something different to our neighbours who both bagged their homes and unforutatley for them they both chose the same colour for the exterior wall and look identical since they are both next to each other apart from their design. We elected to use a PGH brick which cost us an extra $2400 so we are different from the neighbours. Our last home did have a steel frame and we were more than happy with it that is why we elected to go with MDJH again even though we had issues with them as builders (better the devil you know). I have much insight to offer regarding building with MDJH but will add this in followup post.
I have also used my regular interior designer who has co-ordinated the total exterior colours scheme from roof to driveway to compliment the bricks. My designer has helped with selection of all cabinetry colours for kitchen/bathroom including stone benchtops,external/internal door handles all based around the colour scheme we selected for the internal wall /doors with consideration given to the colour of the large 600 tile that I have elected to use througout the home along with the carpet that were both outsource and will be laid after handover. This process has all be done before my attending the colour selections room and only took just under 3 hours.
My designer will also attend my colour appointment (MDJH are happy to allow this) and help with the selection of tapware,kitchen door hardware, tiles for the bathroom/ensuite/ laundry & kitchen splash (not using glass this time will explain in later post) and making sure that all of our previous selection completed through her studio are all available but this should not be a problem as I used all brochures from my colour selections pack and my designer has rooms full of samples from laminates to stone and everything in between. I must add that using an interior design consultant is not as expensive as one would think and worth every cent!!! this is the biggest investment you have and your personel interior designer takes time to know your style and what you are trying to create.
I will endevour to keep all updated with our building of the (Milano 15 Two) at Maitland.
Cheers Isabella

Hi,

We also chose to use a colour consultant. We are building with Beechwood Homes in Aberglasslyn.

Curious to know who your colour consultant was. We used Lyn from Colour Monkey.
Hi everyone,

Like others we will endeavour to keep you up to date with the build of our milano, might help act as a guide for some wayward soul in the future!

Our block was scraped on Monday and we are awaiting piering / plumbing (Thursday) we're hoping to see some activity tomorrow on this front, especially considering my CLO advised that the slab should be poured late next week, seems to be taking a little longer then we thought to get the slab down but we will see how we go!

On the scraping front the guy that did this did an awesome job, and he didnt take long to do it either! Ive attached some images of the block before and after.

If your on facebook feel free to like this page for images/updates, we're not running a blog as such, just this page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beau-and- ... 0732333982
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum