Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Design Project Builders

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I'm currently planning to build at Nundah on the northside of Brisbane. I've got a narrow block (13.5x40.5) so designs a pretty restrictive on that part. As I have a close relative who is an architect I've had my own custom plans drawn up for basically nothing.

After doing a fair bit of reading on these boards it's obvious that going with a private smaller builder it is always going to cost more than a project builder based purely on their buying power. Another advantage of going with a project builder is that the process is simplified. Are their any project builders who will consider looking at custom designs and is their anyone who has gone down this path?

It's a 2 storey home at around 400sqm.
Project Builders main economies are based on building their standard designs and variations of these. Once they start building one off houses they are faced with needing additional documentation, getting non standard components, getting prices for work etc, etc, as a consequence the price difference between project builders and smaller builders isn't as much as you might at first think.
Thanks for your input bashworth. Our budget will allow us comfortably to go to $1100/sqm (above that things get a little tight) and we are just trying to find out if that's achieveable or if we are just dreaming.

If there are any builders people recommend we get quotes from please post them here (or send me a pm if you prefer)
My current quote from a custom builder is around 9.5K / square. So less than $1100 a square metre, including heating/cooling.
Although you have to shop around to find a good builder.
theanonyuser
My current quote from a custom builder is around 9.5K / square. So less than $1100 a square metre, including heating/cooling.
Although you have to shop around to find a good builder.

Well that gives me a little hope. Any adivce on shopping around for a "good builder"? Things I need to look out for?
I won't know for a few months

The builder I've found also did the drafting for my house. His plans were brilliant and it took into account everything I wanted.

He is more than happy to show existing homes he has built, although I won't know until the build is complete how good this builder is
Hi guys, give Zen Homes a call. I am building with them down here in NSW and after months of searching found these guys to be the best value for money in the custom build market. I actually seen some of their houses around the Soverign Island area when i was up that way a few months back and they were very impressive! So far to date i have not had any problems with them and nothing ever seems to be a drama, how long could this last? haha..... I am told they only build a few houses a year so they can keep an eye on quality and make sure the jobs get done right. I think they have an office at Oxenford or somewhere around there. I guess it can not hurt to try them and all other builders! They all need to be kept honest at the end of the day still while building quality houses. I hope this helps a little in your search.......
Any other recommendations in Brisbane?
Hi rahadza

We have a custom design and are currently looking for a builder. We've found a number of project builders more than happy to take our design directly then draw and cost it up. Unfortunately it's in WA so I'm sorry that doesn't help with recommendations.

They've generally found a design of their own that's closest to it and then worked from that as a base for costing and spec. That way you're not paying for a completely unique design because most of them simply aren't structured in such a way to make that cost effective.

Good luck with your search
anise
Related
1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum