Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Does anyone have EasyGas DownUnder from ELGAS?

Page 1 of 1
We don't have natural gas where we're building so will be using lpg. Elgas are able to install the bottles underground these days and it seems everyone in the small estate I'm building at has it.

Has anyone on here used it/ have it?

I figure I'll need to organise a quote with a plumber as soon as I confirm with the builder where the gas hot water system will be.

Is that correct? Does it meet up at the gas hot water system?

I spoke to the SS about it and he seems apprehensive. Seems not many people are aware of the option. Perhaps natural gas is just far more accessible these days.

Any info is appreciated.

Here's the website if anyone is interested..

http://www.elgas.com.au/for-home/refill-gas-bottles-lpg-supply-bottled-gas

Nettie
We had Elgas a few years ago.

We thought the cost for space heating was huge.

After the first year we converted our space heating to a split system reverse cycle air conditioner which paid for itself after a couple of Winters in gas saving.

If I was building again without natural gas I would probably go for the Elgas for cooking only where a couple of 45kg bottles would be fine and have minimal installation cost
Thanks for that bashworth
We have gone over all the pro's and con's and essentially we are having gas boosted solar.

I''m actually more wondering if anyone has got underground lpg and can provide any feedback.

cheers
Nettie
Hi Nettie,

We have and Elgas Easydownunder and love it.

We use it for the cooktop, bbq and our hot water is instantaneous gas. We were the first ones for our builder ( I did a lot of leg work regarding this and convinced them that it was a good thing for us to have), the builder worked in with Elgas and we paid for this via a variation around $900 including elgas costs. Elgas came out and did a site inspection so that they could ascertain where the best location for the tank would be as it needs to be in the front yard and easily accessed by them. The gas tank was delivered, the hole was excavated. The gas pipes went in as usual for the build, and then ran to the gas tank location (a hole in the ground) . The elgas tank was installed by the builder/ plumber (elgas certified) and filled over. Once the plumber connected the pipes to the installed elgas tank, it was filled, the plumber then came out and tested it provided a compliance certificate which is affixed to the tank.
For the BBQ it stayed as LPG but we had to get a new hose made so that it had an LPG connection on one end and a Bayonet connection on the other I think this cost us just under 50 bucks.

We are in a bushfire prone area so are very happy that the tanks are underground. I have some photos of the tank hidden somewhere on the computer I will see if I can find them. It will probably be later in the week before I can upload them.

Hope this helps,
Michelle
Hi Michelle,

I asked my builder about this underground tank option and they didn't seem keen on the idea. I was told that they would have to dig a hole in the ground and then have it reinforced with concrete which would bring the cost up into the 1,000s. I am beginning to wonder whether they really know what they are talking about. I'm just wondering what was done to your hole in the ground prior to placing the tanks in and filling it?
We did have a big hole in the ground it didnt need to be reinforced . Call Elgas and speak to one of the downunder experts it sounds like they (the builders) are trying to discourage you. I just looked at my contract and it only cost us 600 more for the installation (plumber needs to do some extra checks and sign off on the installation + the hole excavation) The tank you pay for directly to elgas.

HTH
Michelle
Thanks Michelle. I'll call Elgas tomorrow.

Cheers

Karen
I'm going through this process at the moment. The tank has to be installed by an experienced installer else ElGas need to be on hand. The Elgas recommended gasfitter is quoting me around $1600 to get this done! The hole for the canister needs to be dug, the canister has to be set in with concrete and backfilled, then the cylinder itself has to be packed in with sand.

It's costing a lot more than I expected and I'm not sure I'm going to proceed. There seems to be no advantage to having the underground tank other than aesthetics.

I'm in Gold Coast area.
I decided against this. The cost is prohibitive and it gains you nothing but some aesthetics.
Hmmm

I'm just about to get a quote here in Lake Macquarie NSW from an Elgas qualified plumber. Will let you know how I go but from initial enquiries some time ago I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near that. I think It was less than $1k... I hope my memory is okay lol

Cheers
Related
8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum