Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

PLACES HOMES general information thread

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys & gals

Thought to create a GENERAL INFORMATION THREAD [/b][/code]for PLACES HOMES in Melbourne (http://placeshomes.com.au)

Write all the question, info and your experience with Places here and share with all

Let me introduce myself. I am building Galey 28 + 2sq bonus + 2 sq alfresco. Unfortunately my neighbor returned the garage wall height dispensation forms without his consent. Now waiting Council approval.

So far my experiences with Places Homes were not that good. The promotion are no site cost but ended up with 12K for us just because of the 1m fall of the land.

MM
First thanks mm77 for creating this thread.

We are building the Drysdale 30 design in the Ridge Estate, Doreen which is in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.

We opted for the Escape bonus promotion of the colourbond roofing to house and garage and the Jetmaster fireplace.

The land is expected to title in February, a 2 month delay from the original date of December which we anticipated given the extremely wet winter and spring we've just experienced.

We've received our sales quotation and will be meeting with our sales consulant in January to proceed through next steps with selections and design changes we've requested.

The floorplan of the Drysdale ideally suits our block which has a northern orientation to the rear and the positioning of the bedrooms and garage on the eastern side fitted in neatly with recommendations for passive cooling and heating and the location of the crossover, so we didn't need to reverse the layout.

I can't fault our dealings with Places so far and a large part of that is due to our sales consultant JD who is fantastic and a real credit to the company. With regards to site costs, we are fully aware that this offer is conditional on the fall of the site not exceeding 500mm and we're confident that our site falls within this tolerance and definitely under 1 metre of fall. We learned about reading topography maps, finished surface levels and how to calculate the fall of land after we were misled by our land estate agent about another block we were considering in the Promenade Estate in Doreen. We were told it had a 1 metre fall but upon sending the site map to our previous builder found out it was actually over 3 metres which added considerably to site costs.

Better to learn yourself than to rely on someone else so we were careful in our deliberations before selecting our block, particularly as we had assumed that rock removal was the highest cost for site preparation. That was until JD informed us when we first visited the Williams Landing display that landfill incurs the highest cost, so the flatter your block the less your site costs.

We're very keen to incorporate as many sustainable design features that we can afford and key to that for us is the design and orientation of the home on the site. Everything else like solar panels, solar hot water, insulation etc is the icing on the cake but if the fundamentals aren't right from the outset then we won't realise the full environmental benefits and cost effectiveness of those enhancements.

It's been quite an education for myself in that I never considered myself "green" and when we initially set out to build our second house we were thinking like most people that bigger is better and were dazzled by the various display homes from builders with all their upgraded finishes. After countless visits to display villages we began to see through all the glitz and glamour and started to notice how dark they all were even with the lights on! and how deceptively small the main living areas were with one popular builder as they enlarged the alfresco living space which looks great on display but in the depths of a Melbourne winter, exactly how much time would we be spending in that space?

We decided that we have an opportunity to build a home that hopefully makes a statement about how we want to live responsibly and not wastefully so we're going to go for it.

Steely Dan
Hi there,

Good to see a thread like this. We are also building the drysdale 30 + sqm and alfresco. We're first time builders so excited and nervous!!! We're in the very preliminary stages, waiting to sign contract. Would love to hear any advise and/or warnings. I have to say, I am pretty happy that they are a subsidiary of PD as they have such a great reputation. Fingers crossed!!
We also have a fall on our block of around 2m and are expecting to have to pay around 16k on top of their 'no site costs'. We were quoted 26k with another builder so overall happy to be paying less.
We paid deposit for Nov site start and till now waiting for commencement of work. Places Homes always seem to have excuses for delays. I am not a happy client.
bnkm77
Hi there,

Good to see a thread like this. We are also building the drysdale 30 + sqm and alfresco. We're first time builders so excited and nervous!!! We're in the very preliminary stages, waiting to sign contract. Would love to hear any advise and/or warnings. I have to say, I am pretty happy that they are a subsidiary of PD as they have such a great reputation. Fingers crossed!!

Hi bnkm77

Watch up extra cost If you are planning to upgrade during colour selection. laminate run horizontally for bottom kitchen cabinet/ bath & laundry charge me 3K plus. Lucky we selected dark colour lami and decided to go with vertical. Alfresco added to our contract with 6K plus still no slab. Porch no slab under base price. need to pay extra 4k for alfresco and porch slab. amount will increase if you need to upgrade slab. I have class M slab. Good luck....
77lk1
bnkm77
Hi there,

Hi bnkm77

Watch up extra cost If you are planning to upgrade during colour selection. laminate run horizontally for bottom kitchen cabinet/ bath & laundry charge me 3K plus. Lucky we selected dark colour lami and decided to go with vertical. Alfresco added to our contract with 6K plus still no slab. Porch no slab under base price. need to pay extra 4k for alfresco and porch slab. amount will increase if you need to upgrade slab. I have class M slab. Good luck....

Hi 77lk

I don't mean to be nosy but I'm also considering Pl@ces Homes atm and in relation to your post I would like to know how big was your Alfresco to be charged 6K + extra for slab?

Also when you say you were charged 3K, was this charge just to upgrade the cabinets? or is it the total of all extras/upgrades you have chosen?

Thank you =)
Akiva
77lk1
bnkm77
Hi there,

Hi bnkm77

Hi 77lk

I don't mean to be nosy but I'm also considering Pl@ces Homes atm and in relation to your post I would like to know how big was your Alfresco to be charged 6K + extra for slab?

Also when you say you were charged 3K, was this charge just to upgrade the cabinets? or is it the total of all extras/upgrades you have chosen?

Thank you =)

Alfresco is 3800 x 5100mm. 6K for 2 timber pillars, roof and ceiling.

kitchen upgrade paid seperate. 3k for laminate pattern run horizontally
After 2 months delay… finally We had site cut and temp fence.

Places Homes 24/7 is a big show to attract customers. It Always appear “The service is temporarily unavailable,please check back later” informed CSC and sales consultants. Still the same….. I have given up this….

I Will drive every weekend to check the progress….
HI All,

We are first time builders in Lyndarum, Epping. After much delays with our land titles we have had a year to look around and research the home we want to build. We finally settled on the Drysdale with Places. We really like the floorplan and it just works for us. We have put our deposit down for an April site start. Our sales person has been fantastic so far and is one of the reasons we switched from PD to Places. We have upgraded a few things and have the landscape and driveway included. Would love to share our experiences and are looking forward to the build.

Stuey
stuey0608
HI All,

We are first time builders in Lyndarum, Epping. After much delays with our land titles we have had a year to look around and research the home we want to build. We finally settled on the Drysdale with Places. We really like the floorplan and it just works for us. We have put our deposit down for an April site start. Our sales person has been fantastic so far and is one of the reasons we switched from PD to Places. We have upgraded a few things and have the landscape and driveway included. Would love to share our experiences and are looking forward to the build.

Stuey

Welcome to forum

Drysdale is a nice floor plan. we love it. Our land width is not enough for drysdale 30 so we decided to go with Galley 28. Good to have driveway and landscape in your package. We had 2 free sq bonus + evaporative cooling + stone bench top to bath
Notice places increase base prices around 8 – 10k for all the houses.

Good luck with your future appointments

77lk1
Hi 77lk1,

I've also locked in price to build Galley 28 + 2 sq bonus + evaporative cooling. Just waiting on contract signing date. Not happy so far with the communication. Not much of it and plenty delays in call backs!!! Not impressed

Should I get out while I can?

By the way, which area are you building?
bgirl
Hi 77lk1,

I've also locked in price to build Galley 28 + 2 sq bonus + evaporative cooling. Just waiting on contract signing date. Not happy so far with the communication. Not much of it and plenty delays in call backs!!! Not impressed

Hi Bgirl

good to hear another Galley builder.

I always wanted to give up with them. If you give up you will loose $1000 deposit. Another builder told me that they can't build in my land due to 1.2m fall. so we decided to stick with Places.

77lk1
Hi, just a quick update. We've just had our tile appointment and have scheduled the colour and electrical appointment in the next couple of weeks. So far our experience has still been good. Our admin staff has been contactable and has answered emails. The tile upgrades were pricey, the standard tiles on offer were decent, however we wanted 300x600 porcelain so was prepared to fork out. We are also tiling the rumpus ILO carpet.
bgirl
Hi 77lk1,

Hi bgirl,
Be prepared for lots of delays. Have been lucky so far. No guarentee the next builder won't be just as bad. Have dealt with many of the big builders while searching the past year, levels of customer service vary. I just think it boils down to who you get. Fingers crossed your admin will pick up some speed.
I put my deposit on 30/01 and have contract signing for 10/03 to give you some idea of the time frame.

good luck and keep us posted of your progress.
Be prepared to accept the construction period if you have not sign the contract yet. They added extra 42 days for owner variation, 14 days for weather and 28 days for Christmas holidays. Total construction period was 224 days for single sty home.
Are Places Homes affiliated with Porter Davis?
lastone
Are Places Homes affiliated with Porter Davis?

Yes, Places also use Hopetoun interiors. most of the floor plans, facade, prmotions and 24/7 are simillar to PD. Places started no site cost first.
Heya my fellow Places homes builders

How's everyones builds going?? Not much action going on in this thread?? Must mean smooth sailing *insert evil laugh*

Well as most of you told me, these guys are sooooooo slow...im still waiting to sign contracts, its very frustrating. Someone please give me some good news
Hey

This is not a good news for you

I received an email from CSC that they are moving into a new office this weekend. It may take couple of days back to normal.
Related
20/10/2023
Contact information for fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

We are at the stage on our build in Kilcoy, Queensland where we need to get our fencing installed but we cant get any contact details for our neighbours to give them…

18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum