Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stair Materials

Page 1 of 1
What is the best material for stairs?

We are having white polished concrete floors downstairs, and the first (large square) step will be some form of stone. I'm thinking a nice even rich brown colour to compliment the natural colours in the white concrete.
I was thinking of timber of some description, but will it really stand the test of time? We had carpet in our last home and it was like a door mat, just picked up all the dirt through the house since it was the ONLY carpet in the home, and was covered in dust in places the vacuum couldn't reach.
If timber is the best other option, which timber would work well with the white conrcrete floors? We've got a bit of a chocolate theme through the home (kitchen is espresso and white at this stage, with brown almost woodlike tiles in 2-3 bathrooms). I'm not a huge fan of the red tinged timbers, but at the end of the day I want whatever is going to perform the best.

Would appreciate personal opinions, thank you.
Related
20/03/2024
Motion sensor for stair wall lighting

Lighting + Lighting Design

I'm curious, did they provide any reason why they did not like the idea?

26/08/2023
Leftover Materials - Supply and Install

Building A New House

That's a fantastic result! Happy you got it sorted out. cheers Simeon

15/01/2024
Finding materials in stormwater drain

General Discussion

in the stormwater pit or the drain? Those dont look like theyd fit in the drain. Separately, the pits do get stuff in them during the course of the build. For the most…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum