Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Roof. Colourbond or Tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I am in the process of deciding on what to pick for our roof. My husband likes the black colourbond and I am trying to get information on whether this will make the house harder to cool in the summer than tiles would.

Thanks
colourbond transfers heat a lot quicker than tiles do.
Loulou - if you do a search on colourbond v's tiles there are quite a large number of threads.

Seems to be pretty much split down the middle with people's likes and dislikes.

Have a read through the threads - there may be some information that you hadn't considered?
first of all you cant get black. the best you can due is monument.
At a min i would make sure you include sarking to significatnly reduce the heat transfer.
Personaly by the time you add R3.5 above plaster. the overall net gain would be minimal.

In my house I would say that having dark colorbond with sarking is way cooler than having dark cement tiles with no sarking.
We considered colourbond and were told it was around $10,000 more than tiles.
If you have a dark coloured roof - tiles or colorbond then you definitely want to get sarking to compensate. Probably a good idea to get it anyway.

One downside to tiles is that they also stay hot for a lot longer even after the sun goes down and continue to radiate heat downwards making the house hotter. Sarking will help with this though.
Boral Charcoal Linear tiles are prettier
And this opinion is in no way influenced by the fact ours went on last week (see page 18 of the link in the sig).

On a more serious note, these days if you've got reasonable insulation sure direct heat transfer is higher with colourbond (worse if it doesnt have sarking, but its pretty much a given on a C/B roof these days) whereas tiles will store more heat and radiate for longer just like your bricks will.
Lots more discussion about this and sarking if you use the seatch tool, but tbh I'd choose based on the aesthetic and noise (when raining quite a difference between the two) as my primary decision makers vs heat transfer. Its definately a factor but i'd think that how it looks and sounds (some people like me dislike the noise of heavy rain on colorbond) should also definately come into the equation.
Colourbond wins hands down on maintenance. My tiled home 10 years old needed constant maintenance. Tiles are nice when new but you pay for it when it gets older. Colorbond is far safer for security too
B STAR
first of all you cant get black. the best you can due is monument.
At a min i would make sure you include sarking to significatnly reduce the heat transfer.
Personaly by the time you add R3.5 above plaster. the overall net gain would be minimal.

In my house I would say that having dark colorbond with sarking is way cooler than having dark cement tiles with no sarking.

One of our neighbours has a black colourbond roof with cream/lime-stone bricks,didn't like it at first.do now though.
big colorbond fan
can't wait for our roof
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
We are choosing the Colorbond as we personally like the look of it. I have lived in a house with Colorbond before and the sound of the rain didn't bother me. WIth our builder, there is no price difference between colorbond and tiles.

The house we are building is fairly large at nearly 400sqm with raised ceilings and is very open plan.
Interested to hear about the sarking as our builder never mentioned it as an option. We upgraded to R4 insulation thinking that was the best we could do. We asked about Anticon and was told we wouldnt need it.

Definately going to pay the extra for the sarking.

Thanks
We would have chosen colorbond if there was no price difference, but didn't have a lot of budgets for upgrades. Although I am very happy with the look of roof tiles, we did have a few problems with leaking during big rains with the last house we lived in and it was a brand new house. Our builder included sarking in the roof and we have dark roof tiles on a two storey home so we'll find out this summer about temps.
loulou111
Thanks to everyone for the responses.
We are choosing the Colorbond as we personally like the look of it. I have lived in a house with Colorbond before and the sound of the rain didn't bother me. WIth our builder, there is no price difference between colorbond and tiles.

The house we are building is fairly large at nearly 400sqm with raised ceilings and is very open plan.
Interested to hear about the sarking as our builder never mentioned it as an option. We upgraded to R4 insulation thinking that was the best we could do. We asked about Anticon and was told we wouldnt need it.

Definately going to pay the extra for the sarking.

Thanks

Anticon is just insualtion and foil facing in one unit. The product you want for sarking is enviroseal roof.
Related
7/05/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Coming back to this.... When installing a pressure flashing, what fixings would you use (please give a link) ? Above Pedro said nylon anchors. Anyone have a preferred…

30/05/2024
ColourBond or Tile on roof?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Surely your designer has answers to all your questions? If so, it would be nice to include their answers here so we can all learn something. (Of course, always good to get…

2/01/2024
Concrete roof tiles - is this normal?

General Discussion

Do you have solar on the roof, because if its not a laying defect it looks almost like someone has been walking all over the roof in the mid section of the tile (weakest…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum