Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

builder credits on items included in a specials package

Page 1 of 1
So looking at the specials for a builder ATM and there are some items like the Dishwasher, HWS, and some others we dont want

Now the special pack is like 5K for 55K worth of inclusions so if I do not want those items can you get a credit on the cost of those items to use on other parts of the build (ie electrical plan) as the items we want to delete are going to be around 5K of value would the builder still credit those or are you locked in on this stuff??
you'll probably find they have purchased a pile of this stuff at a special rate to be able to afford the package. but it never hurts to ask, the worst thing that can happen is they say no.
yeah hoping it works in "our" favour
mecha-wombat
yeah hoping it works in "our" favour

Mecha it very rarely does. Most items you delete you will get very minimal credits for
Hi, No I don't think you will get any credit back on package items and even on other normal inclusions you get very little. We tried to upgrade out evap coolinf (which was in a package) to refridgerated cooling, we were given a price and told ok by the sales person but at tender were told this was a mistake and we could not do it as it was part of the "package". So I doubt you would get a credit but worth asking!
Hi,

I have just managed to get a credit back from a builder to remove the evaporative cooling that was part of a sales promotion.

They knew what my budget was, and that I had already increased my budget due to site costs being higher than expected. At first they refused, but then when I raised it again they offered to see what they could do. In the end I managed to get a credit back for alarm system, ducted vacum system and evaporative cooling.

Michelle
If you get $55k value for $5k outlay, you should probably just right off the stuff you don't want. you're still getting $50k of value for $5k.The values they quote are over inflated anyway, and if you shopped around for the package inclusions it would probably be closer to $25k total actual value.

As far as things that are just regular fittings, you could ask for the value of the materials back and then supply the builder with the things you want (oven, cooktop, etc..) and the installation should remain the same.

I'm trying to get a refund for laminate benches in the kitchen as my outlaws have kindly offered to flip the bill for stone benches (4.75m island and 3.1m wall bench) but they said they will only pay the difference for the benches and want to use there own stonemason (they had their benches done 12months ago and they're really good)

Don't be afraid to play hard ball, but don't expect to get the full retail value back. You could also try and get someone else to negotiate those things for you. My Mother In Law is a real tight fisted piece of work. I've never seen her pay retail for anything.
Why don't you ask to have the stuff, but ask them not to fit it. . . then sell it on ebay?
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

28/07/2023
Removing items from contract

Building A New House

The best advice is for you to get a competent building consultant to guide you through your build

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum