Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Downlights in bathrooms

Page 1 of 1
We will have a 3-in-1 (light, fan, heater) in our bathrooms. I am now thinking of also adding downlights. Do you think this would be too much?
For those who have downlights in their bathrooms, do you also have a 3-in-1? If not, what do you have?
My house is not finished yet so I'm not sure what it's like
But we are having both the 3-in-1 and downlights in our ensuite. We are also putting lights above our vanity. I hate dull bathrooms!
We have a 3 in 1 light and 2 downlights. We also have a nice fluro type light above the mirror for doing makeup
. Really glad we have them all, especially the fluro as it turns out that the light component of the 3 in 1 is cr@p. Pretty much useless. OK if you want a dull glow for midnight trips to the loo but otherwise useless, and the light for the heat is great but too hot if you aren't just out of the shower.

Depends on how good the light part of your 3 in 1 is but we are disappointed in ours. It's not the name brand version though..maybe they are better.
When will your bathroom be finished lj3376?

I think the main thing that I am worried about is the 3-in-1 making the bathroom look odd as it sticks out... because I guess the main reason ppl put downlights is so the ceiling is nice and flat.... Would anyone care to share photos of their bathrooms with both 3-in-1 and downlights?
seast
We have a 3 in 1 light and 2 downlights. We also have a nice fluro type light above the mirror for doing makeup
. Really glad we have them all, especially the fluro as it turns out that the light component of the 3 in 1 is cr@p. Pretty much useless. OK if you want a dull glow for midnight trips to the loo but otherwise useless, and the light for the heat is great but too hot if you aren't just out of the shower.

Depends on how good the light part of your 3 in 1 is but we are disappointed in ours. It's not the name brand version though..maybe they are better.

I love the sound of your bathroom seast! Would you mind showing us a photo?
Our friends have a 3-in-1, and also a downlight (1 in bathroom, 2 in ensuite) above the basin(s).

We think it looks so good that we will be getting a sparky in after handover to add some to ours in the same fashion.
[quote="pleasedontgo"]When will your bathroom be finished lj3376?

My electrician is not going in until the end of august
Re: The most common mistake people make is putting recessed ceiling fixtures directly over the mirror. These cast shadows on the face, making daily grooming rituals more difficult.

Do you all agree with this? What's the workaround for those with huge mirrors?
pleasedontgo
Re: The most common mistake people make is putting recessed ceiling fixtures directly over the mirror. These cast shadows on the face, making daily grooming rituals more difficult.

Agree! We've got this in the rental atm and even DH has complained the lighting is crap when he's having a shave.
We have one of those large XL Tastics in our main ensuite. It has the four lights plus heat lamp. Then we have a downlight over each basin. As well as this we have fairly light coloured tiles and a window - all of which add up to a bright room.

The only other thing I would have added was a single downlight over the actual shower as well - but it would probably amount to overkill.

Do you have any natural light coming in to the room as well?
pleasedontgo

Is this what this statement is referring to:
we have a 4 light IXL tastic in our ensuite bathroom but it's not in line with the mirror. ( Our ensuite would be larger than the average ensuite) We also have a downlight over the basin. I wish I had gotten a wall light so some kind. It is difficult for applyi9ng makeup although it's still better than no light. We were originally planning on a wall cabinet as well so I didn't go for a wall light but now DH seems to have decided just a mirror works fine. grr ( fine for him but not fine for me since I gave up having decent makeup lighting for the wall cabinet!
I tend to go into the main bathroom and use the 4 light ixl tastic in there to put on mascara etc. sigh. Just as well I don't bother wearing makeup or at least full make up every day or I'd be really cheesed off. ( plaster set walls not plaster board so running a line in for a light would involve cutting into render and brick and plastering)
pleasedontgo

Last house had a single four foot flouro above the mirror: works well but reminds you of an abolutions block at a caravan park if done wrong.
pleasedontgo
seast

I love the sound of your bathroom seast! Would you mind showing us a photo?

Hope these help. Difficult to get a shot of everything as it is quite a large ensuite.

This is the room at night with everything except the heatlight on.

The heat light (should have gone for one with 4 heat bulbs but the sales chick said this would be enought....she was wrong!) and the fluro on the bulkhead above the mirror.

One downlight above the bath and one above the shower. As our shower is recessed we were supposed to have one in the recessed area and bought what we thought was a waterproof one. As it turns out it wasn't so the other downlight is just outside the shower but as it is a gimble one, it points into the shower area.

If you look closely at the silver 4 in 1 the two large bulbs are the heat bulbs and in the middle is the useless light. Would have been VERY unhappy if this was all we had put in. The main bathroom, which is slightly smaller, has a 4 in 1 and a similar type fluro above the mirror. It doesn't have any downlights.

Hope this helps.
seast, your bathroom looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the photos.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum