Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Roof support

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know if the roof style in this picture is expensive? and can provide support for a double story.

We are currently in the design stage of our next build, below is a drawing (bad one sorry) of the living area. The living area is going to be 8 x 5.5m and the builder has told us we need some support in there. He suggested putting solid walls at either end of the island bench (the red boxes) and near the stairs. It doesn't bother me at the stairs, but fear it is going to totally close up the kitchen and the bench isn't going have that nice floating island bench feel. I'm wondering if the above idea with the roof could be used instead?

i dont think the roof is any different. Just looks like to have lowered sections (bulkheads) in stead of a riased roof.
No real structial different just extra work with bulk heads.
borg
i dont think the roof is any different. Just looks like to have lowered sections (bulkheads) in stead of a riased roof.
No real structial different just extra work with bulk heads.

yes, but couldn't they hide the support beams within the bulk heads??
Wouldn't the builder just factor in some steel lintels to support the weight of the floor above?
See if he needs to span that distance from one side to the other he will need a hefty beam sitting across that open expanse.
When I say hefty I mean something around 310mm plus in height. It may even be 380. So he wants to add some support so that section does not need to be as tall.
If it's too tall if will effect the ceiling height eg.bulkheads that screw up that nice flat roof. Not much you can do, raise the floor upstairs?, I'm kidding.
Related
14/06/2023
Rusting support columns

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thank you for the advice, I'll give this a go

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

7/12/2023
Roof Plumbing Complaint

General Discussion

In my experience roof is essential element of the building envelope and hence a common property and should be covered by owners corporation however a detailed review of…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum