Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

A couple of questions

Page 1 of 2
Just a couple of quick questions...

We have found a house which is 16.9m wide and some land which is 18.05m wide...is this going to be wide enough? If not, what width land should we be looking for?
Does the width of the house include the eaves or is it to the brickwork?
Your plans will Always include the eaves…..as they are a part of the home.

STILL….might be a tight squeeze
Thanks for that!
We are very new to this and don't really have anyone to ask...

Would box guttering along the garage buy us any space?
A lot of people are now doing the boxed guttering; it allows them more space on a small block of land. It’s a very common thing now. So YES, it will save you space.

Don’t be shy, ask all you need to know, that’s what the forum is for
Let me add to that….boxed eaves are the way to go…..perhaps that is what you meant.

NO EVEAS!
I don't know what i meant! I am completely lost with most of this house talk!
Someone was talking to us about their boxed gutter the other day...is there such a thing or is it boxed eaves that they would have?

Might go have a look for some piccies to see what it's all about!
I pretty much could say we are talking about the same thing!

Boxed Eaves, boxed gutters……

Do your homework on this…. I know a few people who have had drainage and internal flooding of water from boxed eaves/gutters…… you really need a plumber who knows what he’s doing with them!
Thanks Michelle! You are so helpful!

It is just the garage that sticks out a bit further than the house and if we could just do the boxed gutters along the garage then it would save some space...not sure if it would be possible tho...

This is the floorplan we really like...

http://www.marshallthompson.com.au/brighton.php
Ok….I would consider boxed eaves on the garage side and the EAST…… Side?
Bedroom sides.

BUT make sure you make it quite clear to the builder that you want NO problems with the eaves!!!!
Thanks heaps for that....
With boxed gutters - basicaly the gutter is inside your internal roof line - so the main issues being expressed here is - boxed guters if not installed properly, can bank up the water runs over the edge and into your house.
And even when they are installed properly - you need to know that it is your job to clean them and make sure they do not build up wiht leaves etc - otherwise - they will overflow.
So as a way of getting more house to your fenceline - they work - just beaware (not afraid) of the responsabilities that come with them.
And as Michelle says - ask away - lots of folks here love to help out.
Steve
Thanks YakChat!
Cleaning gutters wont be a problem as we will have to do it regularly due to our location!
Whera abouts in SA are your building?
Yak_Chat
With boxed gutters - basicaly the gutter is inside your internal roof line - so the main issues being expressed here is - boxed guters if not installed properly, can bank up the water runs over the edge and into your house.
And even when they are installed properly - you need to know that it is your job to clean them and make sure they do not build up wiht leaves etc - otherwise - they will overflow.
So as a way of getting more house to your fenceline - they work - just beaware (not afraid) of the responsabilities that come with them.
And as Michelle says - ask away - lots of folks here love to help out.
Steve

Well said Steve…..I tend top cut things a little short.
I just assume everyone knows what I know……NOTHING! hahhahahha
Yak_Chat
Whera abouts in SA are your building?

In the hills...we haven't got land yet but have found some we really like...
Cooper,

Your candidate house is 16.9 m wide and your candidate land is 18.05 m wide. This leaves, if you centre the house, only 575 m on each side. You should look at your Council's Development Control Pan (DCP), which is available on their website. This will tell you the required side setbacks. For my area the required side setback for a single storey dwelling is 900 mm. I think you'll find that this is pretty well standard.

Assuming the applicable side setback is 900m, you have two choices:
1) Find a different block of land
2) Trim the house width. I think if you changed the garage width from 6.15 m to 5.5 m (which many project homes have), you'll then have 900 mm side setback on each side.

You'll find that "guttering, eaves , hoods and other similar structures" may extend about 225 mm from the walls and therefore will be less than the 900 mm side setback.

I don't think you'll loose much if you reduce the garage width since the rear door to the outside doesn't serve much purpose and the design already has storage provision as part of the garage.

I like the plan overall. One thing that looked odd is that the home theatre room has a 3.4 m wide opening without any doors. This may allow too much light in for a home theate room.

Cheers,
Casa
Thanks so much casa...900mm..hmmm...ok off to find the council website!

In regards to the home theatre, we would be using it as a formal lounge so it doesn't matter too much to us...
North south or otherwise
Start with an M? and has 2 words?
I've lived in the Adelaide hills for 10 years - and in different 3 towns - so just make sure your neighbours don;t plant some nice trees soon.
Steve
Wow Yak Chat you are good...or you are stalking me lol!!
Stick with your last guess!! hehe
Pretty easy when I lived in H, W and B to the north of you
Related
7/07/2023
Retaining wall questions

Landscape & Garden Design

Not sure what council area you are in. Some LGA's allow zero lot retaining walls. This usually occurs in greenfield developments but not often in established areas. You…

13/09/2023
decoration and colour questions

Interior Decorating Lounge

Thanks for that! Yeah, I was thinking timber front door.

2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum