Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone built with Scyon Matrix Cladding

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone. After more plan reincarnations than Lazarus, and with moving top and bottom storeys due to ground levels, we have been advised that we would save a considerable amount of money if we used a lightweight cladding for the front of the upper storey. The builder has recommended a Hardie product, called SCYON MATRIX CLADDING.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product, good or bad.

Thanks so much

Greg
Hi, this probably isn't much help but we are planning on using Scyon Linea Boards with our house when we build. My brother in law is a builder and has just used them and is very impressed with the product.
Thanks very much for letting us know. You have put our minds at ease!

Kind regards

Greg
Does anyone know someone good who installs Scyon Matrix Cladding in Sydney?

That Vitrabond and Alucobond has also caught my eye but not doubt more expensive but by how much?
Great product... we designed our windows and doors to take this product directly into the head, sill & jamb... so it looks good and is weather tight on its own or with the JH Axent frame around.

Ed

BTW... Lazarus only came back once... unless you know another Lazarus...
many thanks for the reply. I notice the matrix cladding comes in four different sheet sizes. I was wondering whether it cuts cleanly to make other sheet sizes or should one use as many full sheets as possible?

We have seen some poor jobs and are concerned that our carpenter may bugger it up. I am sure there must be a bit of an art to getting it perfect.

Also do you know how they hide the screws?
we are using one of their products and the nails are hidden behind each board.
I've just installed Scyon Axon cladding on our reverse brick veneer. It is a very good product, and as a carpenter would highly recommend it.
It cuts very cleanly with a hardie blade installed in a circular saw.
The reason I chose the axon cladding is because it has a ship lapped joint which means it goes up very fast. You can also use a brad gun to install so if you have timber frame it can be fixed incredibly fast. All the scyon products can be gun nailed which speeds up installation. You use stainless steel ND brads and there is no need to fill heads, just paint straight over.
The Matrix is a little more involved for installation.You need to fix the axent trims to the frame first and then fit the matrix sheets to that while maintaining the shadow line.
It looks nice but installation cost will be higher.

Here is the completed upper floor, waiting for the painter.
Thanks chippy your house is quite an inspiration.

I have been doing a bit reading and I notice for the matrix paneling there are four options for fastening:

1. C25mm 16 gauge 304 stainless steel brad nails.
2. 2.8x30mm corrosion resistant fibre cement nails.
3. 25mm countersunk stainless steel screws.
4. 25mm wafer or pan head stainless steel screws.

It says a two part epoxy flush sealer and then a base coat is used to fill the countersunk screw heads. Obviously a lot more work but better finish.

It seems that with the nails there is no filling of the heads, which I think would be ok at a distance but not good where the paneling is on a balcony.

Anyone know what the nails end up looking like close up once painted?
ed @ ecoclassic
Great product... we designed our windows and doors to take this product directly into the head, sill & jamb... so it looks good and is weather tight on its own or with the JH Axent frame around.

Ed

Here's the Scyon Matrix against our window... (FYI this is the awning window with venetian blind inside the double glazing)

Don, the S/S C brads have a very small head. You can just make out the heads on the picture I posted and I used ND brads that have a head about twice the size of C brads and once it is all painted I'm pretty sure you wont notice them. If you set up the gun correctly the nails sit flush with the sheet. I certainly would not bother screwing and filling when the paint will hide any heads. Even if you want to drive the nails slightly below the surface and fill the nail holes would be easier than filling screen heads.
Related
29/01/2024
Anyone know the process to stain axon cladding

Building A New House

The most definitive answer to your question James is this taken from the James Hardie Axon Cladding Installation Guide - i just happen to have it…

21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum