Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Plank embedded in slab and drainage pipe for evap cooling

Page 1 of 1
Need some enlightenment from all you fellow H1'ers:

1) Plank embedded in slab

This plank was "left behind" after slab pour, SS told me during PCI that the protruding portion will be cut off and the embedded portion will remain as it is. The embedded portion runs alongside the slab for water tank and HWS. Does that sound right? Not sure if the embedded wooden plank would rot in time to come?

(photo taken a while back)

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/rocketleaves/kitchen%20bench%20cupboards/IMG_7927.jpg

2) Drainage pipe for evap cooling

This pipe sticking out of the bricks is a drainage pipe for the evap cooling unit (not sure if I heard it correctly from SS). Apparently there are many ways to drainage for evap cooling unit but this is the way done by S1monds, claimed by SS as a effective way. Again does that sound right? The pipe is big enough for insects to come into the house.

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/rocketleaves/kitchen%20bench%20cupboards/IMG_8090.jpg
Hmmm rodent entry

Hmmm astuck form board

why was there a form in there anyway?
That is a shocker...
Maybe the person who put the slab down could be used as a lever and hammer
to get it out
the embedded plank has me stumped - what idiot would do this? Quite aside from being an eyesore, I'd be concerned that those little beasties called termites would love it, and that once they've devoured the timber they'd start looking for other timbers in your home to devour. I wouldn't be too happy about that at all.

As for the pipe, its the first time I've seen it done like that, but I suppose if you want to keep the furry beasties (& others) out maybe you could use a small piece of flyscreen mesh to cover it? The water will still be able to flow out but creepycrawleys won't be able to get in. Just a suggestion.
I've never seen evap cooling drainage done that way, but it's possible - I assume the pipe runs inside the wall cavity from the roof? I'd hope it would then be joined into the storm water, not just allowed to drain onto the ground. Get them to seal the gap around it and insects shouldn't be a problem.

The slab thing is just unbelievable.
ONC - so that plank is called a form board...I will demand SS to get the whole piece removed (inc embedded portion) and then get Termguard to put in a pipe there (orange wrapping). Sighz, don't know if this is going to set me back in handover.

rosemi - putting a mesh there is feasible but it would be very layman to use a rubberband to fasten a mesh. I am going to push SS to get the plumber come up with more professional solution (mesh cap??)

Kek - before plastering, I saw this pipe leads all the way from side of wall to the roof, not sure where it leads to after that (evap cooling unit not installed then).
Well removing the board will be tough.

But ask what can be done.
rocketleaves

Kek - before plastering, I saw this pipe leads all the way from side of wall to the roof, not sure where it leads to after that (evap cooling unit not installed then).

Assuming it's connected up to the outlet from the unit on the roof, it should work - and it'll be a neater finish than a pipe discharging water onto the roof. In the interests of conserving water though, I'd see if there's a way you can collect the runoff. Ours runs into a section of the spouting that feeds into the rainwater tank, so it gets re-used for flushing the toilets. Every drop saved helps!

Perhaps you can come up with a simple DIY solution post-handover and use the water on your garden.
ONC - SS informed me that the WHOLE plank would be removed and Termguard pipe put in. YEAH.

Kek - SS said a cap will be put at the terminating end (plumber will look into it). I am assuming the cap will be perforated with tiny holes (SS wasn't sure). To get the pipe connected to my water tank will be really pushing it as water tank is 6m away (though they are all along the same brick wall), with a 5000 litre water tank I will just have to let this pass.
rocketleaves
ONC - SS informed me that the WHOLE plank would be removed and Termguard pipe put in. YEAH.

Kek - SS said a cap will be put at the terminating end (plumber will look into it). I am assuming the cap will be perforated with tiny holes (SS wasn't sure). To get the pipe connected to my water tank will be really pushing it as water tank is 6m away (though they are all along the same brick wall), with a 5000 litre water tank I will just have to let this pass.

Or you can just stick a container under it and empty it onto the garden when it fills up.
rocketleaves
Need some enlightenment from all you fellow H1'ers

2) Drainage pipe for evap cooling

This pipe sticking out of the bricks is a drainage pipe for the evap cooling unit (not sure if I heard it correctly from SS). Apparently there are many ways to drainage for evap cooling unit but this is the way done by S1monds, claimed by SS as a effective way. Again does that sound right? The pipe is big enough for insects to come into the house.

Hi rocketleaves
Have just picked up on your post re the above. The outlet pipe for the evap cooler is a good idea by Simonds....ours has been done this way....... it should however connect into a waste pipe. It would not be permitted to just drain onto the ground as water coming from the evap could contain bacteria.
rocketleaves - Just wondering how you got on?
Sherwin, almost missed your note on the outlet pipe for the evap cooling. SS said plumber will look into it but at last inspection it is still uncapped. I didn't know the pipe has to be connected to a waste pipe though. I will raised it up with SS tmr during PCI3, thanks.

Onc, the wooden plank was chiselled off. I saw wooden chips around the watertank slab and the area concreted over. I supposed that should be ok. Thanks for asking.
OIC so totally removed??
I guess not.
Oh well.
Best of luck.
Onc, I had a closer look at it today and I reckon my SS simply chiselled off the offending plank, then applied mortar across (pic below). That's supposedly the "solution". What do you think?

If you didn't find the wood on site... maybe you're right. Can't see any fragments.

Ed
Well they made enough mess and didn't bother to clean it up.
you will know soon enough if the bottom section of the board is there
because the new section will pop out in no time and reveal the story.
Just keep an eye on it
Related
10/05/2024
Damaged/repaired PVC pipe under concrete slab

General Discussion

The coupling, which is made from flexible PVC, needs to comply with AS/NZS 4327 which specifies the requirements for metal banded flexible couplings used in low-pressure…

14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

15/10/2023
Drainage issues and water pooling

General Discussion

Need more photos from around the house including your gutters. We have had 3 of the wettest years in a row for some time so that wouldn't be helping

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum