Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need help with 'blue bricks' urgently!!!

Page 1 of 2
I'm about to build a house in Melbourne and have headaches with regards to choosing a brick (which I was supposed to do by tomorrow). I know that I want to use a blue brick but I've read so much about all of the different kinds that I am so confused.
My builder wants to use Selkirks Blue Rain but I'm very concerned that this brick looks more brown than blue (or a least blotchy) and this is definitely not the look I'm going for.
I'm wanting a consistent blue brick (as consistent as possible, realising that they are all painted brown brick) and will be using white motar.
The bricks Im twoing and frowing over are:
- Selkirk Blue Rain
- Austral Graphite (maybe more black than blue?)
- Boral Victoria Blue (possibly Blue Rio)
- PHG Espresso (possibly Blue Steel Flash)
Can anyone help me make up my mind? Going crazy!!!!
We went for Victoria Blue and couldn't be happier.

Thanks so much for this! Your house looks great and that's the look I'm certainly going for.

Obviously it depends on the 'batch of bricks' so to speak.....but do the Victoria Blue have tinges of brown that are evident? And are they prone to chipping?
We went Vic Blue too and love it! More of a uniformed look. I might have a photo of Blue Rain somewhere to compare as we did look at these as well.

You are in luck-here are some Blue Rain bricks for you-yes they are brown in my opinion. I love Vic Blue so much better. I think Selkirk do a metallic shimmer blue brick-I can get a photo of that for you but won't be until tomorrow.

The bricks haven't been cleaned yet.

Apologies for the out of focus photo.
I think my 'Dollarz House' thread has photos of the bricks up close.
Look at my blog. That should help.
Thanks Dollarz!

The Blue Rain looks terrible!! It should be called Brown Rain (but who would buy it then!?!?).

I think I'll definitely go with Victoria Blue as I havent heard anything negative about them. Hopefully my builder wont charge me too much extra!
We were worried as the Blue Rain bricks are on a house near us and we weren't happy. But looking at them closely yes they look brown and bluish but more brown. The quote for Blue Rain was quite a bit more than Vic Blue but for Vic Blue for the hole house I think extra it was under $2000 to be exact not sure maybe around $1500 at most.
Blue Rain also have this white freckle stuff on them like sandpaper or something...lol. Not a nice brick in my opinion. I prefer Moon Shadow better from Selkirk.
we chose Vic Blue as well but our house hasn't started yet so I can't help with pictures. It's probably too late but you can go out to Boral & they will give you a list of houses in the area that used the brick you are after so you can go have a look. We did that a few times to make sure we were certain about our choice. We went to Boral in Deer Park & they gave us lists for around the Caroline Springs/Taylors Hill areas (not sure where that is in relation to you though).

If you've got time I recommend you do this as it really helps you to get an idea of roof & guttering colours as well as render, fascia & downpipe colours too. I would have been lost if I hadn't done this!!
This is the first time I've built.....and I already wish I'd some things a little differently. A nerve racking experience!

Have already chosen (but not ordered) roof etc.....charcoal colorbond roof, black aluminium windows (sort of wish i went for natural steel but never mind)......going to use a light coloured feature stone for the arch over the portico which will hopefully brighten things up! Also thinking a light coloured wooden front and garage door (matching as close as possible).

Would appreciate feedback if anyone thinks Im building the ugliest monstrosety in history!
We have Vic Blue & love them. If you go them I reccomend the off-white mortar.
This photo ios a little old. I have newere ones on my blog (link in my signature) there are plenty of pics and a panoramic on the front page

You get a little brown on the ends of the brick but they are consistent blue on the face
SimJam
This is the first time I've built.....and I already wish I'd some things a little differently. A nerve racking experience!

Have already chosen (but not ordered) roof etc.....charcoal colorbond roof, black aluminium windows (sort of wish i went for natural steel but never mind)......going to use a light coloured feature stone for the arch over the portico which will hopefully brighten things up! Also thinking a light coloured wooden front and garage door (matching as close as possible).

Would appreciate feedback if anyone thinks Im building the ugliest monstrosety in history!

Just look at my house for strangeness. lol. We used 3 different bricks. Not your ordinary looking house. From what you say I reckon your house will look smashing.
You're house is very nice Dollar. And the block of land is amazing.....love the trees!!! I cant wait to move out of suburbia one day....ASAP!! (also cant wait til thi building experience is OVER!!! although great learning..........)
SimJam thanks. It's taken a while to get used to. I would love to build again someday. You almost become am expert on colourbond colours, bricks, paint, concrete and technical building definitions..lol. Enjoy your build.
Hi All,

We loved the Vic Blue but then we came across Boral 'Storm' and love it! It is actually also cheaper than Vic Blue.....well that's in Sydney so i'm not sure if it is different in Melbourne.

We love it but it all comes down to personal prefference.
Storm bricks are nice too john.
Cant find a boral Storm brick anywhere!?!?!?!

Can anyone comment on the Austral range? Such as Graphite?
Try the Blue Steel Flash - we are building our entire home with these and they are a metalic blue/grey brick.

You can also ask PGH to provide you with a sample. We arranged to get all samples of bricks from each of the bricking companies and then asked them to provide us with some addresses of homes close by to have a look at that have been built with the bricks.

Worth a try.

Cheers
Di
Hi I have just discovered this site!! We have chosen Vic Blue bricks after choosinf sandy beach months ago..What a mistake, but im so happy we have changed our minds in time!! Just wondering what colour mortar you all used?? We have been asked this question now, and i really dont know!!!!! Please any help would be kindly appreciated!! Or pics if u have any
Related
8/09/2023
H2 Blue Pine

Bugs & Suggestions

I’m just in the process of replacing 2 stud walls that have been severely damaged by termites and am planning to use h2 blue pine. I just wanted to if anyone can advise…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum