Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Cost on top of standard house package

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I was thinking of buying a piece of land and building a house. What other cost are involved on top of the standard house inclusions that a builder like Simonds or Porter Davis provide. Thinking of about 23-25 Squares all in.
I think the house prices are around $130-160k. (3 or 4 bedroom)

How much more will I expect to come up with?
I don't want to change the standard plans. Will want wooden floors in living areas, carpet in bedrooms.
I think driveways are not included normally. How much would that cost?
Just want a rough estimate of how much more I should expect/provide. Don't want to go over budget.
This sort of thing has been covered a few times - posts such as http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3001&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= have a few things to consider!
Hi Hank

I just built with PD and spent the base house price plus another 12% on upgrades to the standard inclusions and a small extension. In my opinion you should allow for spending more than the base price as many builders have their displays set up with extras that you may end up wanting.

For the driveway, you could allow say $2,500 for something simple like coloured concrete. Allow say another $2,500 for fences.

You may want to do the flooring yourself rather than have the builder do it. A rough estimate would be $5,000 to $8,000 as there are many different types of 'wooden' flooring products. As an example, our house has 22 SQ of living space and we did our own flooring for $5,500. This could have been cheaper but we elected to go for an extra heavy duty residential carpet for another $30 per metre more.

You will need to do window coverings and this can vary so much. Maybe allowing say $250 for small windows (bathroom ensuite) and $500 per window for larger. Not sure, maybe others could give you a better idea. We our making our own curtains at the moment, and having some blinds made - my estimate is the entire house will be done for $1,800 - $2,000.

You may be in no hurry for these, but landscaping and gardens - you can spend so much on these that I couldn't give you an estimate. If you are building in an estate, some land developers may provide a free front garden.

Then there a lots of little things that add up; door bells, TV attenna, towel rails, toilet roll holders, plus other bits and pieces.

Hope this helps.
uncle_ant
Hi Hank

I just built with PD and spent the base house price plus another 12% on upgrades to the standard inclusions and a small extension.

Afternoon Uncle Ant - interesting calculation! Ive just realised we spent an extra 39% on top of the base price!!!!
Might be an interesting topic for the forum!
HI there

This is an interesting topic, I spent and additioanl 45% on upgrades in my house. For the curtaining component (i am building a 39sqm home) come in around at 12K, front driveway & pathway come in just under 3K, Floors come in (combination of tiles and carpet) at about $20K, fencing (although yet to be quoted as yet) I have allowed what uncle_ant has called out 2500K, but keep in mind depending on what estate you are in you may get free fencing and front yard. There are lots more things, but these are some of the main areas, electricals are another expensive area pending on what you want to get done as well.
wow, i'm starting to get worried. Maybe i won't be able to afford to build if it's 40% on top of standard house.

Trying to get a piece of land around 200-240k.
Build 150-200k ..... Want to come in under 440k.

At least 3 rooms and around 23-25 Squares.
hank
wow, i'm starting to get worried. Maybe i won't be able to afford to build if it's 40% on top of standard house.

Thats do-able for sure...dont stress
We are building with PD. Our house is 26sq (inc alfresco). The base price was $136k with extras it ended up at $172k. This final price did not include: floorcoverings, flyscreens, antenna, clothesline, fencing, landscaping, security doors etc..... It did include a $4.5k rebate for fencing/driveway.

We paid $7.5k extra for floating floors and carpet.

Once we have completed landscaping, lighting, decking and the above extras I would say it will probably come in at around $210-$220k

The budget you are working off seems pretty do-able
hank

It all depends on how good you are in controlling yourself (and your family) regarding things to include/change...Also, some of the things can wait, e.g. landscape, lights, curtains...Just make sure you do all your calculations properly, do lot a lot of research, start cutting expenses and start a good savings plan....
Related
3/05/2024
Seeking Advice: House and Land Package on Subdivision Proper

General Discussion

I'm based in Adelaide and I'm considering purchasing a house and land package from Weeks Homes. I found a deal that looks good, but there's a complication: the land isn't…

2/06/2024
House and land package Guidance

Building A New House

Hi everyone, I'm very new to the housing market and would appreciate any guidance. I have found what I think is a good land and home package. Marketed as "turnkey".…

12/02/2024
Resilient mounts with standard 13mm plasterboard

Building A New House

What we have done in a few theatres ( including my own) is run 2 layers of 13mm gyprock, but sounds insulation especially for the bass is really tricky as a lot of that…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum