Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

HUNT CLUB Smart Community-Telstra Velocity--Costs..

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
My family have bought a block in Stage 58 and Building with Rawdon Hill. Just got some info On Telstra Velocity which is another cost we didnt allow for.
Aparently as far as I know they arent using copper cables so therefor to have the phone/Internet hooked up our house will need to be smart wired instead of usual wiring.
We have been quoted 2500 from our builder. I am not sure if this is a reasonable price. Does anyone know of a local contractor in the area that will do this?? So I can get a second quote to see if the builder is trying to rip us off!..
Much appreciated..
kristyv
Hi everyone,
My family have bought a block in Stage 58 and Building with Rawdon Hill. Just got some info On Telstra Velocity which is another cost we didnt allow for.
Aparently as far as I know they arent using copper cables so therefor to have the phone/Internet hooked up our house will need to be smart wired instead of usual wiring.
We have been quoted 2500 from our builder. I am not sure if this is a reasonable price. Does anyone know of a local contractor in the area that will do this?? So I can get a second quote to see if the builder is trying to rip us off!..
Much appreciated..

ok still uses copper inside fo th house ie cat5e and cat6 and RG6 quad shield for TV and such... just that it has FTTH (Fibre To The Home) as the lead in..

$2.5K includes what excatly ??
To tell you the truth Im not exactly sure what its for.
I gave the builder a list of Wiring configurations that I had from Telstra..
All we need is :1 Data point (study) 1 phone point and 2 tv points (for digital) and possibly a pay tv point..
Well thats what we have allowed for in our building specs..Can we still hook up a wireless router for wii? with this configuration...
Thx for your help...
Its all a bit scary
Just checked our plans..We have 3 Tv points..2 phone points . We will have our main computer in the study but can we use a wireless router for internet use in say bedrooms without needing more data points??
Im very confused
kristyv
To tell you the truth Im not exactly sure what its for.
I gave the builder a list of Wiring configurations that I had from Telstra..
All we need is :1 Data point (study) 1 phone point and 2 tv points (for digital) and possibly a pay tv point..
Well thats what we have allowed for in our building specs..Can we still hook up a wireless router for wii? with this configuration...
Thx for your help...
Its all a bit scary

sadly without knowing what is in the quote i can't really offer too many suggestions yes you can still use the wifi for the Wii but as stated I'm only guessing that they are using a Star server/ hills hub type cabinet which for wifi would be pita....
Just looking at the wiring digram from Telstra only things I can see are needing excluding the cabling (5/6cable,RG6 coaxil cable etc..) is:Optical Network Terminator, Power supply unit,2 phone outlets &3 broadcast outlets.
I will get a more detailed list of whats needed from the builder to run past you.She just looked at the brochure of the wiring diagram and said 2500..From where she gets that price is unknown to me..
Hi

We are building in the Hunt Club to and are paying $2800 for the smart wiring. We were advised that if we didn't do the smart wiring we would still have to pay around $600 for the normal phone connection.

What this $2800 includes is what they call a 4 pack which appears to be four points in the home. There is one main one which we have put in our family room and then we have three others that we have put in the rumpus, study, master bedroom.

I think each of the boards has four points on it for phone, data, tv and pay tv??

The 4 pack is the base pack I think and if you want more points you go to an 8 pack?? which will cost you double.

From what we were told you can still run wireless.

Don't know how helpful this is but at least you know you've been quoted less than us!
I'm building in Cascades, also Telstra Velocity.

It cost us $1000, originally $1600 but $600 was credited back to us as the builder had included a tv antenna that was no longer needed with Telstra Velocity.

It includes 2 TV points and 2 Phone Points.
Hi,
Thanks for the info..I just dont understand how the costs can vary so much from 1000-2800?..We will have to discuss it with the builder and try to crunch them..Hubby can do it Hes a car salesperson...Good at negotiating!!lol
riverton30
Hi

We are building in the Hunt Club to and are paying $2800 for the smart wiring. We were advised that if we didn't do the smart wiring we would still have to pay around $600 for the normal phone connection.

What this $2800 includes is what they call a 4 pack which appears to be four points in the home. There is one main one which we have put in our family room and then we have three others that we have put in the rumpus, study, master bedroom.

I think each of the boards has four points on it for phone, data, tv and pay tv??

The 4 pack is the base pack I think and if you want more points you go to an 8 pack?? which will cost you double.

From what we were told you can still run wireless.

Don't know how helpful this is but at least you know you've been quoted less than us!

Hi, What stage are you in?? We are in 58..Our title is expected May...Cant wait to start building..The roads are taking shape..Doesnt the new p-12 school look fantastic..I have 4 kids and its a big plus for us!!..
Good luck with it all...
I'm not in a velocity estate (but damn I wish I was, fast reliabale internet.... yeah I could deal with that), but many of my friends live in one just up the road so I can highly recommend these guys www.smartwiringaustralia.com.au they do ALOT of work out my way and everyone I've spoken to is really happy with them, best of luck with it all.
mikkyG
I'm not in a velocity estate (but damn I wish I was, fast reliabale internet.... yeah I could deal with that), but many of my friends live in one just up the road so I can highly recommend these guys http://www.smartwiringaustralia.com.au they do ALOT of work out my way and everyone I've spoken to is really happy with them, best of luck with it all.

Thanks..I did see their website ..I may send them a quick email to compare prices...
We are in Stage 63 with tiles due April/May! I worked it out the other day...assuming land is ready on time we start building in 11 weeks!

We've got two kids under 3 so I'm very interested in seeing how the new school goes as well!

Some days this whole building business terrifies me but others I feel excited. I'm sure it will work out!

Nice to meet some other Hunt Clubbers
riverton30
We are in Stage 63 with tiles due April/May! I worked it out the other day...assuming land is ready on time we start building in 11 weeks!

We've got two kids under 3 so I'm very interested in seeing how the new school goes as well!

Some days this whole building business terrifies me but others I feel excited. I'm sure it will work out!

Nice to meet some other Hunt Clubbers

Good luck with it all..I feel the same as you,Its exciting but scary at the same time. Sorta sad leaving our first house..
Settlement is tommorrow and we are renting it back from the new owners which is good..Hopefully only have to move once!..I havent even looked at colours yet..Im sure thatll be fun.

Another thing Ive been anxious about is finding out what sort of slab we need to have on our block.Our builder only allows for M..And I have heard its more likely to be a H or M-Mod??Any ideas/thoughts? Guess we will know when the soil tests are done in May...Good luck with it all...post some pics when ur up and running....Whats the name of ur Street? Im on Aquitane Drive...
Take Care
Hi there

Our builder charged us $675 for smart wiring in a telstra velocity area. Have you guys checked the prices for internet service for telstra velocity yet? Pretty pricey!!
janenguyen
Hi there

Our builder charged us $675 for smart wiring in a telstra velocity area. Have you guys checked the prices for internet service for telstra velocity yet? Pretty pricey!!

Wow..you got a bargain..675..wish our builder would charge that!..I checked the velocity plans..yes they are pricey..We have bigpond at the moment and already paying 60 for 12G..which looks to be simular with velocity...Cant live without the internet though..
Hi there.. we are also building in the Hunt Club stage 58.. signed our contracts on Saturday.. asked DFH about Telstra Velocity and connection costs, he said for 1 data.. 1 phone and 1 tv point it would cost $1000 approximately.. however I don't quite understand.. we have asked for two tv points one in family and one in living, do we cancel these and only have telstra velocity?? He also told us it would be cheaper for a telstra guy to come our mid build to do the connections as their DFH costs would be more expensive!!
So confused.. I really don't understand it at all.. I just want a phone, internet and tv connection in both family and living.. however as we have no study and just a laptop, I have no idea where to get the data point set up??

Any suggestions..
Laney
Our builder charged us $880 to have our house ready for telstra velocity (new estate) plus we paid an extra $220 to get a telephone point on an internal wall.
We have foxtel point ready, two television points ready, internet point ready and phone point.

Called Telstra and already have a phone number for our house and probably won't have to pay the full $$$ to get connected, only a portion. Unsure why, as hubby called them, but very happy to not have a big bill to start up!
buiLdinGdReamS
Hi there.. we are also building in the Hunt Club stage 58.. signed our contracts on Saturday.. asked DFH about Telstra Velocity and connection costs, he said for 1 data.. 1 phone and 1 tv point it would cost $1000 approximately.. however I don't quite understand.. we have asked for two tv points one in family and one in living, do we cancel these and only have telstra velocity?? He also told us it would be cheaper for a telstra guy to come our mid build to do the connections as their DFH costs would be more expensive!!
So confused.. I really don't understand it at all.. I just want a phone, internet and tv connection in both family and living.. however as we have no study and just a laptop, I have no idea where to get the data point set up??

Any suggestions..
Laney

Hi Laney,
Im not quite sure how it all works....Unsure as to wether you need to keep old points..Im presumming you dont..Im gonna be asking for credit from additional points if we have to install velocity and dont need them.Who are u building through??
We had a look at another house on the weekend and now we are considering swapping house/builder if the price is simular.. Do you know what type of slab you will require??Ive been told a M-mod or H? What street are you on?We might be neighbours??..Take care and good luck..
buiLdinGdReamS

Any suggestions..
Laney

Forgot to add, I think you can have a wireless router($400) at the data point and run the laptop from wherever u like...I want to do the same with the wii..
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

21/04/2024
smart or normal switches

Building A New House

Shelly switches require a paid subscription for full access to all features which is ridiulous given the lifespan of a home and if you were to sell it or buy a home with…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum