Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building an Oasis - Plastered

Page 1 of 2
Hi All

After a years worth of leeching on this forum, it is time i contributed something meaningful back to the community. Since we are going to site soon, i have finally decided to start my own build thread. We are building in brisbane north with plantation homes. Our build was not really planned, we actually got the block first and then decided on the builder and finally our house plan.

Timeline:

Block Settled - Late April 2009
Deposit - 18th July 2009
Contract Signed - 18th Oct 2009
Colors and Electrical done - 23rd Dec 2009
PCV Signed - 5th Feb 2010
Site Start - 3 March 2010
Slab - 26 March 2010

This is the block, end of a cul-de-sac, 591 sqm with a park opposite it.

And we finally got a sign last week

And today we got a portaloo!!!! Pardon my excitement but it looks like our site cut might be tomm.
pic to come soon

Plans

Front Facade of another house similar to ours. Note that our colors are different!

Color selection will be updated as the house gets built as we did not keep any pictures. Happy to answer any questions as we go along and hopefully it will be a smooth build. Touchwood.
No action on site today because of the weather here in qld. Looks like we will be delayed another week because of all the rain we have been having.
Bummer about the rain. Hope they get started soon. Love your plan, good luck with your build.
How exciting! Which plantation house design is that?
It is one of the only double story houses in their range that were designed to fit a lot width of 15m. It is no longer shown on their website but can be found in their printed brochure.

You can check a very similar house here that was built by plantation homes in northlakes, qld.

http://house4life.com.au/View-House
Very exciting! Have they started yet? We are also building a 2 storey with PH on Brisbane North. Just wondering when did you sign your contract? We signed in November and still waiting for the final draft, getting impatient!!!! Look forward to seeing progress of your home!
Sorry for the delay guys. Good news, plantation have been busy on site and have installed all the drainage pipes and meter box etc. Slab is due end of this week.

Pic 1 - From the back of the block

Pic 2 - Power for island bench

Pic 3 - Frog Flap for laundry

Pic 4 - More action today! I am not sure what this trench is for

Pic 5 - Council OK for Plumbing

Pic 6 - Can anyone tell me what this is ?

Pic 7 - Back view of the block again
mummamichelle
Very exciting! Have they started yet? We are also building a 2 storey with PH on Brisbane North. Just wondering when did you sign your contract? We signed in November and still waiting for the final draft, getting impatient!!!! Look forward to seeing progress of your home!

Hi Michelle

We signed our contract on the 18th of October but had a few delays by the time our PCV's were done. Plantation have been very good to us until now and fixed a few site issues without any hassles. I will update the progress of the build here so keep an eye out for updates.

Cheers
YAYY for site cut! Glad to hear you are happy with PH. My impatience is more with the drawn out process of pre-build than with PH. What things have you guys decided to do on your own? Or are you doing everything through PH? We got our final plans today and the retaining walls they quoted ended up $15,000 more expensive so now we're looking to sub-contract for a better price. Just another thing to slow up build. Will definately follow your build
mummamichelle
YAYY for site cut! Glad to hear you are happy with PH. My impatience is more with the drawn out process of pre-build than with PH. What things have you guys decided to do on your own? Or are you doing everything through PH? We got our final plans today and the retaining walls they quoted ended up $15,000 more expensive so now we're looking to sub-contract for a better price. Just another thing to slow up build. Will definately follow your build

Well our biggest problem with plantation was their pre-build process. Unfortunately we decided to get quoted for every single variation you could think of i.e. multiple electrical points, fans, custom light switches the whole she-bang. However, it took a lot of paperwork, emails and correspondence for them to understand what we wanted to keep.

Just flicked through your blog, we are doing everything you have picked by ourselves as well. Only other extra stuff is render and WIR. Where about are you building in north brissy?
Awesome to see some Brissie PH builds on here. We are building on the sunny coast, also a 2 storey. The admin stage was so long, I feel your pain!!!! We signed our contracts start of Oct and got final drawings end Jan (xmas closure, errors on plans etc).

Things are well under way now, we had a site cut on 15th Feb, plumbing a week later, a portaloo and skip, then the heavens opened so had 8 days delay with rain which meant the slab was postponed. Slab was finally poured March 10 and a week and a half later we are framed, with scaffolding, gutters have been put on and roof tiles arrived on site today ready to go! They are well and truely making up for the painful admin stage!!

Will be exciting to watch your progress!!
Hi

What house are your building and do you have a blog?
No sorry I don't have a blog, wouldn't know where to start! We are building the Castella.
More action on site today. The trenches have had rebar put in them and holes have been dig out for the piers to support the retaining wall of the garage. Also site has been leveled and ready for slab pour on Friday.

Site - Front View

Rebar ready to be installed tommorrow

They were good enough to draw us a map of the underground power cable connection

Holes for the garage retaining wall

Site back view

Backhoe 1 - Downpipe 0
liveonimpulse
mummamichelle
Where about are you building in north brissy?

Things look like they are coming along, how exciting!! I We are building in Kallangur, how about you?

Looks like our build won't start anytime soon. Really not happy that PH could give us a provisional quote 20,000 less than what they put in the final plans for retaining walls. I mean a few thousand off maybe, but 20? If we were to sign the final we'd be starting in 2 weeks but now we must find someone else to do the walls and more PCVs when we thought we were finished. Oh well, more time to save money for all the things I am going to want for inside the house
shelby75
No sorry I don't have a blog, wouldn't know where to start! We are building the Castella.

How about a thread, would like to follow your build too Shelby! I haven't started a thread yet since our build hasn't actually started but I have a blog if you want to check it out.
Yay, someone else building on the northside! There's quite a few of us on here now!!

Where abouts are you building? We haven't started yet but hopefully we're not far off - maybe 2-3 weeks!

Best of luck with the rest of build!!
Good news we got slabbed last friday and framing starts tomorrow. We are building the carseldine area. Pics...

woohoo, nice slab!
An update on our house build. We have been framed and the roof is scheduled to go in next week.

Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum