Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Pre contract checklist and action items

Page 1 of 1
Hi team,
I am putting a list of actions together to help me understand my role as a builing consumer.

I am doing this as I hope that it will give me the information I need to sign a contract with confidence when the time comes.

While I know I will never know everything to be aware of, hopefully, I will cover a fair bit.

Here is my list so far (while it does look large, I think that most people would go through a similar process):

If anyone has any extra items I could add on to it, please let me know.

1. Preliminary research on the process to build a house
2. Preliminary talks to builder sales people, to get familiar with the talk and plans available
3. Begin to develop the ideal plan for my block and lifestyle, based on standard builder’s plans.
4. Analyse inclusions lists to figure out what products are variable between builders (comparison benchmark) [taps, ovens, etc]
5. Develop a list of questions to clarify the inclusions listing
6. Develop a list of your ‘must have’ and ‘wish list’ items over and above the standard inclusions
7. Develop a list of questions to validate and price your ‘must have’ and ‘wish’ list items for builders or suppliers
8. Compare prices for ‘builder sourced’ vs ‘client sourced’ fittings (tiles, carpets, ovens)
9. Begin to research your rights as a consumer (dispute processes etc)
10. Inspect a range of builders display homes for quality (remember it is a display home)
11. Research builders credibility (BSA,
12. Approach a range of builders to produce quotes based on standard plans, inclusive of you ‘must have’ and ‘wish’ lists.
13. Make a range of checklists pre build, build and post build

Look forward to your responses!

Regards
Alf...
Hi Desmond,
Thanks for the tips...I hadn't been to the BSA site yet...

Printed off most of the relevant pages and will attend one of their workshops...

Will call them also to have a chat.

Am off to read all the lit now...

Hopefully, I will find a few more items to add to my list!...

Cheers
Alf...
set aside time (lots of it) to read this forum to familiarise yourselves with potential issues pre,during & post build!

Make sure everything quoted is written down!
Related
28/07/2023
Removing items from contract

Building A New House

The best advice is for you to get a competent building consultant to guide you through your build

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

2/04/2024
Defects/Items found after final inspection

Building A New House

The significant date is when receive final payment invoice Check that section of contract Bit of fluff by builders prior to that

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum