Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Weepholes

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm new to the site but have found it really useful already. I am building in a bushfire prone area and therefore I have to comply with the Australian Bushfire Standards. My builder has allowed me to provide some of the materials myself one of which were the weepholes. I have asked my Prestart Consultant and the Council Liason what these were required for, the dimensions and such but neither of them know what these are for and are looking into it. I thought I would take my chance and ask any of you out there if you knew what these were and what I need them for. Also do you know how big they need to be. I have sourced some aluminium outdoor vents sized 400mm x 110mm but I'm not sure I have the right size or even the right thing.

Thanks
Mich
Weep Holes are slots that the bricklayer forms in the brickwork to allow moisture to 'weep' out if it gets into the brick cavity - they are not something you buy. However in a bushfire area you may be being asked to supply aluminium mesh to line the back of the weephole to prevent embers getting into the framework.

If you google 'weep hole detail brickwork bushfire' then I wreckon chances are you will come up with a picture!

In fact, this may be what you are after http://www.weepa.com.au/

Good luck..
Builda is spot on - we had to have the same weep hole insert in ours (Level 3 bushfire). I'm pretty sure it's the same product from that link
Thank you so much builda, you are the first person to answer my question and that link was spot on. I now know where to buy them from and more importantly what I am looking for. Now I have to squeeze out of my builder how many weepholes there needs to be!!

Cheers
Mich
Typically weepholes are included in the external leaves of cavity walls in the course directly above damp proof courses, flashing and cavity fill, and at the bottom of the infill cavity at spaces not to exceeding 1200mm
Related
11/05/2024
Weepholes vs mortar deterioration?

General Discussion

Amazing, you have definitely put my mind at ease, so thank you for that! With weep holes being in contact with soil, is this an issue when it comes to termites? Anything…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum