Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Spot the problem

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

This is a photo of our housebuild. It is progressing very speedily, which is great.

However, today I noticed something, and was wondering if it is noticeable. I hope it isn't !!

Answers appreciated.
ok...how do i add a photo?

I got this message:

"Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes
NOTE:
You are normally allowed to attach files within this Forum,
but since no Extension Group is allowed to be attached here,
you are unable to attach anything. If you try,
you will receive an Error Message."
try the instructions in this link:

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1272
pasey25
try the instructions in this link:

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1272

thanks Pasey...i think I've got it.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb55/ASKMelbourne/a.jpg
different shade of bricks for top and bottom storey? different batches perhaps?
What if we pick something that you didn't think was a problem
i thought the same but it may just be the photo
damn!!!!! correct!!!

Thanks Damo...is it that obvious?

What do you think I can do about this? I'm sure the bulders are covered by some kind of clause about brick variations between batches.

Would you all say that this is a major flaw?
I can't notice the difference!
Its the whole side of the house.

The 1st storey is a different shared to the 2nd storey

Has anyone else had this problem? I can understand how batches can be different...but it would have been nice if they've ordered all of the bricks in one go.
does is look bad??????

Would it turn you off buying a house with this kind of issue???
at least they remembered your eaves and didn't leave a big black box on your roof...

the front bricks look more uniform and they are under full light so it could just be an optical illusion... ie. could it be variation in mortar style casting more shadow on the lower floor?
no optical illusion I'm afraid.

They completed the bricks on the ground floor a month ago..and then ordered the bricks for upstairs.

Oh well..and to think my parents were going to build with them. They will reconsider now, unless we get some compensation.
Firstly Jazz i would just tell everyone that's how you wanted it. Mention something kind of intelligent sounding that refers to light and sizing, eco sustainability or whatever else prevents people from asking further questions. Then you could always let the builders leave their mess behind because i was too busy looking at that to notice the brickwork!
The house across the street from us have the same colour scheme and bricks that are very similar. But theirs is a lot worse than yours!

Anyway, I thought they tint the bricks so that it matches? It's kind of like my issue with our tiling - if you can see it with the naked eye then it's something that definitely needs to be fixed.

What does your builder and supervisor say?
My understanding was that brickies were meant to mix the bricks from different pallets to avoid this problem. Although from what you have said it seems they didn't have enough bricks when they started.....

Another forum member had similar problem when some brickwork was repaired and is having the lighter brickwork tinted/dyed...the link is here https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
The problem with the brick colour was immediately obvious to me. I think it needs to be fixed and there are tinting methods available (and mentioned in this forum) that may be acceptable.
I can't see any difference.
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
I have seen one of our builder's customer having the same problem as you: bricks delivered later are from different batch and there's a quite obvious colour differences between the two.

But he is much luckier than you, because they check their site almost everyday and was able to pick it up very early in the stage. The brick layer only used some of the bricks and our friend demand it to be stopped right away.

From builder's point of view, they insist it's not their problem as they ordered the same brick and they refused to re-order. Our friend just refuse to accept that, after lots of phone calls and arguments, with the whole construction delayed for more than a month, the builder finally give up, remove those bricks in the wrong colour and re-order new ones...

I think in your situation it's a bit too late to ask they to knock down those bricks and re-do the whole wall. You can try and fight for some compensation or rendering...
Hopefully by the time that nextdoor build their 2 storey house, it will be not that noticable.
Related
12/12/2023
Water pools against house in one spot

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks for the advice mate. I'm on it.

3/07/2023
Drainage Problem

Landscape & Garden Design

Thank you for this information.

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum