Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Dechellis in 2010

Page 1 of 32
Well, here we go. After lots of browsing on this forum, its finally time for my own topic

Here's the story so far....

We bought our block in 2007. Its about 830 sqm in a beautiful leafy street.

After 2 years of looking at display homes, we went through some initial plans with Medallion and Scott Salisbury but eventually decided on Dechellis Homes. We have been very impressed with their build quality, selection standards and attention to detail. Nothing has been too difficult for them and I've had lots of good feedback from some of their happy customers (hoping that I will also be one of them!).

We are scheduled to start trenching at the beginning of February.

Hope you join me in our building journey !

Pictures about to be downloaded, or is that uploaded. Uploaded I think.....
First things first, lets start with the outside....

Here is our plan:

Its based on the Sorrento design, but with a spa bath ensuite. Here's the facade (in slightly different colours):

External selections:

Roof: Woodland Grey colourbond
Gutter : Woodland Grey OG gutter
Fascia : Paperbark
Render : Solver Paperbark (double strength)
Front door: Paperbark, but likely to be gloss black after I get my hands on it.
Front porch tiles : Can't remember, some sort of charcoal tile with a sparkly fleck in it.
Front windows : A&L Double hung aluminium in Merino/Paperbark
Bricks : Austral Grange with grey mortar
Other external windows: A&L Anodic Grey

Any feedback welcome.....
I LOVED that design when we were looking for builders!! We were *that* close to building with D3chellis and using that as a base. I can't wait to see your build progressing =)

Good luck with you build! You prolly won't need it as they seem to be REALLY good. I so wish we'd used them... (jealous
somewoman
I LOVED that design when we were looking for builders!! We were *that* close to building with D3chellis and using that as a base. I can't wait to see your build progressing =)

Good luck with you build! You prolly won't need it as they seem to be REALLY good. I so wish we'd used them... (jealous

Thanks for that ! We love it too

I just checked out your plan and your house is amaaaaaazing. That is one fabulously unique plan
As we live in a conservative council area, we had a few set back requirements (3 metres required off one fence line) that prevented us from doing something "different" but still, we know we're going to love it because the minute we walked into the Sorrento display, we just felt right at home.
Thought I'd add our internal selections too...

Paint throughout

Ceiling : Ceiling white
Walls : Solver Mouse

Trim : Solver Parchment semi gloss

Floors : Ivory Polished Porcelain to entry, Big River Timbers 130mm Gloss in either Spotted or Flooded Gum, chocolate tiles to WIP

Bathroom and Ensuite

Wall Tile: 600 x 300 Ivory with a faint self stripe, tiled to ceiling
Floor : 300 x 300 Chocolate
Benchtops : Essastone Platinum
Cupboards : Laminex Mushroom Linea
Feature : Smoked glass mosaic

should look a bit like this:

Kitchen

Benchtops : Essastone Platinum
Island : Laminex Liquorice Linea
Rest of cupboards : Formica Doe Skin
Splashback : Standard clear glass

will look a lot like this, except for the area where the coffee machine etc is in this pic, we will have a bigger fridge and some more benchtop:

And our breakfast bar is shaped like this with the oversize waterfall ends in laminate :

Phew !
gorgeous =)) Beautiful colours! I am sure you'll be absolutely rapt with your new home =) Am really excited for you!
Oh here you are!

I must say for a first timer you have done very well with your thread.
Love the Sorrento. Love D3ch3llis Homes. The bathroom and kitchen pics look very familiar.

Congrats on your colour selections. You can't go wrong with Mushroom and Licorice Linea. I love all the linea colours, chocolate and white tiles as well.
I think that maybe we have similar tastes

Will be watching your thread and waiting patiently for the build to start.
Jose
Jose27
Oh here you are!

I must say for a first timer you have done very well with your thread.
Love the Sorrento. Love D3ch3llis Homes. The bathroom and kitchen pics look very familiar.

Congrats on your colour selections. You can't go wrong with Mushroom and Licorice Linea. I love all the linea colours, chocolate and white tiles as well.
I think that maybe we have similar tastes

Will be watching your thread and waiting patiently for the build to start.
Jose

Thanks Jose ! All I needed was a couple of hours kid-free and I worked it out

Pretty happy with the colours, although if I was doing selections again I'd probably go liquorice linea in the ensuite and main bathroom cupboards instead of the mushroom, but I'm not going to break my no post-variation streak now

Perhaps you can be patient enough for the both of us
Hopefully will have some nice pictures of the old house crashing down next week, possibly with me dancing on the rubble
We considered Dechellis and almost went with them 18months ago to build a Seaview at Aldinga Beach. We've had friends who have built with them and have been thrilled with the outcome. The Sorrento is a great design and I know, from all I've heard, you will be happy with it.

We are going with Rossdale and are building at Noarlunga Downs. We tried to get quotes from Dechellis but they weren't great at returning emails and everytime we went to their display homes the agents were busy or the homes were closed.

I suspect they're so popular that only the extremely determined continue to bug them. In the meantime we saw a Rossdale design we loved and decided to go with them.

I'll admit to being green with envy though at what you're doing. Good Luck!
robinred55
We considered Dechellis and almost went with them 18months ago to build a Seaview at Aldinga Beach. We've had friends who have built with them and have been thrilled with the outcome. The Sorrento is a great design and I know, from all I've heard, you will be happy with it.

We are going with Rossdale and are building at Noarlunga Downs. We tried to get quotes from Dechellis but they weren't great at returning emails and everytime we went to their display homes the agents were busy or the homes were closed.

I suspect they're so popular that only the extremely determined continue to bug them. In the meantime we saw a Rossdale design we loved and decided to go with them.

I'll admit to being green with envy though at what you're doing. Good Luck!

Thanks robinred55
Always reassuring to hear some good feedback from people who've built with them. Rossdale have some excellent designs too - I lurve their Valencia at Blackwood Park. If we had a wide block and no set back issues I'd have built that design in a second. Hmmm, is it weird that I know the names of display homes off by heart
I've looked at waaaaaaay too many displays
Hey evelyng,
how's the demolition going?
Have they started yet?
Or have they finished yet?
I'm still waiting patiently.
Jose27
Hey evelyng,
Have they started yet?

Well, some good news to report - they have started !! here's what we have so far....i have orangey things out the front:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/evelyng_photos/IMG_2429.jpg

and a pile of junk round the back...

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/evelyng_photos/IMG_2430.jpg

i've been told it will be finished next week. crossing all fingers and toes......

how's it going at your place, any painters ???
evelyng
Jose27
Hey evelyng,
Have they started yet?

Well, some good news to report - they have started !! here's what we have so far....i have orangey things out the front:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/evelyng_photos/IMG_2429.jpg

and a pile of junk round the back...

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/evelyng_photos/IMG_2430.jpg

i've been told it will be finished next week. crossing all fingers and toes......

how's it going at your place, any painters ???

Well evelyng, do you still have the orangey things out the front? Is that a letterbox aswell?
and the pile of junk round the back?
Patiently waiting

Jose

Oh nearly forgot. The painter started today!

Yep that's right. 1 painter on his ownsome
Jose, unfortunately no further progress has been made

here's hoping with a week of good weather, it will all get done

on a brighter note - painters !!! woo hoo ! are there pics, i just love pics.....what colours did you choose again ?
evelyng
Jose, unfortunately no further progress has been made

here's hoping with a week of good weather, it will all get done

on a brighter note - painters !!! woo hoo ! are there pics, i just love pics.....what colours did you choose again ?

I thought that they would demolish a house quick smart. How long will it take to demolish your house? You would think that they could possibly knock it down in a day! Oh well, here's hoping that it is all done by the end of the week.

No pics as yet of the painting. They tried to take the graffiti off with solvents but all that did was take the render off.
Plan of attack now is to take off the render and do it all again.
Not a quick solution.

Paint colours are: Doors & Architraves - "Whitetone"
Ceiling - "White"
Walls - "Pearl Beige"
Rear Render - "Hawk"
Front Render - "Lost in Space"
Front Door - Gloss Timber

Looks like things are going to be slow from here on in.

Jose
Jose27
I thought that they would demolish a house quick smart. How long will it take to demolish your house? You would think that they could possibly knock it down in a day! Oh well, here's hoping that it is all done by the end of the week.

No pics as yet of the painting. They tried to take the graffiti off with solvents but all that did was take the render off.
Plan of attack now is to take off the render and do it all again.
Not a quick solution.

Paint colours are: Doors & Architraves - "Whitetone"
Ceiling - "White"
Walls - "Pearl Beige"
Rear Render - "Hawk"
Front Render - "Lost in Space"
Front Door - Gloss Timber

Looks like things are going to be slow from here on in.

Jose

Its been quite a saga, but will be finished on the weekend we we're advised last night.

What a b*gger about the render having to be redone, i guess that's better than just trying to paint over it which I'm sure some other builders would try.

Pearl beige ? Don't remember that one - is it similar to Smoke Pearl ?
evelyng

Its been quite a saga, but will be finished on the weekend we we're advised last night.

What a b*gger about the render having to be redone, i guess that's better than just trying to paint over it which I'm sure some other builders would try.

Pearl beige ? Don't remember that one - is it similar to Smoke Pearl ?

Sounds like you are having fun with the demolition. Hope it's all done by the end of the weekend!

Yep, it's better to be safe than sorry. The painter said there's no guarantee that if they put a special membrane over the graffiti that it will stay covered forever. So to do the render again is the best solution and it won't take long to do it.

Are you picking on me? You are correct the wall colour is "Smoke Pearl"
I did do my colour selection on 30/7/2009. That was last year and my memory is (I'm afraid to say) not very good at the moment.
Jose27
Sounds like you are having fun with the demolition. Hope it's all done by the end of the weekend!

Yep, it's better to be safe than sorry. The painter said there's no guarantee that if they put a special membrane over the graffiti that it will stay covered forever. So to do the render again is the best solution and it won't take long to do it.

Are you picking on me? You are correct the wall colour is "Smoke Pearl"
I did do my colour selection on 30/7/2009. That was last year and my memory is (I'm afraid to say) not very good at the moment.

lol, not picking on you, just thought there was a colour I didn't know about
smoke pearl is one shade lighter than ours "mouse". gorgeous classic colours. are you sure we're not getting the same house ?

update on demolition - apparently we will have excavators tomorrow
Wow evelyng, can't wait to follow your build!

Fantastic design and a great builder - have only ever heard good things about them!

Can't wait to see things get moving!
lightsview
Wow evelyng, can't wait to follow your build!

Fantastic design and a great builder - have only ever heard good things about them!

Can't wait to see things get moving!

Thanks lightsview, we're very happy with them ! just checked out your thread, things are looking good ! subscribing

we found scott salisbury to be extremely professional and helpful when we spoke to them. plus their build quality is superb. we talked to them about a new house or alternatively an extension to the house that's currently on our block (but not for much longer hopefully...). unfortunately they were just a bit out of our price range although they seem to offer very good value for money.
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum