Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Powerhead for Ducted Vacuum System

Page 1 of 1
Hi, has anyone bought a powerhead for their ducted vacuum system?

Are you happy with it?
From whom did you buy it?

TIA
Southies - just a quick thought. Have you previously had a powerhead with your previous vacuum? The reason I ask is the installer told me that sometimes they are interchangeable.

For instance we have a Nilfisk ordinary vacuum and a Valet ducted sytem - the powerhead from the Nilfisk fits onto the wand of the Valet without spending any extra money.

I was all ready to go out and buy new bits and pieces before the installer told me about that just before Christmas.
The best to get is the Turbo-cat. I think Aussie-vac sell them.

Ash.
kyton
Southies - just a quick thought. Have you previously had a powerhead with your previous vacuum?
I wish, kyton
. Nope, I'll have to buy one.

I thought I was happy with our ducted system until I tried my mother's new DYSON on our NEW carpet!

OMG, it sucked out sooooo much dirt & the carpet was only 4 months old at the time. I've decided that when this system dies, as I anticipate it will in a few years, I will be switching to a DYSON, come hell or high water

Quote:
The best to get is the Turbo-cat. I think Aussie-vac sell them

Thanks Ash
So, I've just read a bit on powerheads.
Some have a separate powercord, batteries, etc.... The turbocat apparently
....harnesses the airflow of the ducted vacuum system to generate maximum airflow and deep cleaning power.

OK, so how does it effectively do this if it uses airflow, the same as any other system be it ducted or not ?
\
Wouldn't an electric powerhead be more effective ?
Southies, I responded quickly as I am familiar wit the Turbocat, but didn't consider other options. The Turbocat is about the best air turbine driven unit, but requires goos airflow to drive them. Powerheads with their own motor would possibly be more efficient, but would require a power cord to it, so would require a power point next to each outlet. Good ducted vac companies should be able to show you various units and demo them, so you know how they work.

Ash.
royalblue
Good ducted vac companies should be able to show you various units and demo them, so you know how they work.Ash.

mmm...that makes sense Ash. Will look into that - thanks again
Have a look here, and click on 'cleaning tools'.

http://www.aussievac.com.au/pages/defau ... e_id=25312

I see there is a new type of Turbo cat too. I have used the original one for vacuuming with my truck-mount. It HOWLS with the airflow my machine produces. I would suggest you look at them, but make sure it is driven by a high airflow system to be efficient.

Ash.
But are they any better than electric powered heads?
Depends on having good consistent AIRFLOW. (volume and speed of air produced by the vac system. As the brush works on the carpet, it creates resistance. If airflow isn't strong, the brush speed can suffer and the brush can bog down. The benefit is, no motors and cords, and cheaper than a motorised powerhead. Also much lighter and easier to use.
An electric powerhead will work more like a tractor with a strong consistent brush speed.

Which is best for YOU depends on the power of your vacuum system, and your choice. Suggest you ask to try before you buy.

Ash.
Thankyou once again Ash - will look into this
Southies
I thought I was happy with our ducted system until I tried my mother's new DYSON on our NEW carpet!

OMG, it sucked out sooooo much dirt & the carpet was only 4 months old at the time. I've decided that when this system dies, as I anticipate it will in a few years, I will be switching to a DYSON, come hell or high water

We have now moved into the new house and our ducted is amazing and the suction is sensational, I guess it depends on what type you have.
vid
Southies

We have now moved into the new house and our ducted is amazing and the suction is sensational, I guess it depends on what type you have.

A Dyson and a good ducted system can work hand-in-hand to cover many cleaning jobs in and around the home. Have both!

And YES, every ducted vacuum installation will vary, and also vary from each outlet. This is why its important that it is well designed and engineered, with duct piping all cut & joined neatly, and piping routed so as to minimise bends and distance from the vac unit. Best units will have a good powerful vac unit, postioned carefully, and minimal pipe distance with few bends & restrictions.

Ash.
Related
11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

16/01/2024
Ducted air con insulation question

General Discussion

Hi there I have a Panasonic ducted air con system.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum