Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Confession Time: How often do you visit your site?

Page 1 of 2
A few of us on another thread have been talking about how we stalk our sites even when there is nothing happening, or even likely to happen at all.

So this is your chance to confess how much of a site stalker you are

Obviously it depends on where your build is up to , but even then I think we will see very differnt answers.

I have just settled, so no sign of work.

I sneak down to the site (about 15 minutes away (without my wife's knowledge (I hope
) every 2 weeks) to see whats happening. I know I will be a daily stalker when things actually happen!
Every day - especially since now we have taken over the build with the builder going kaput. Sometimes it will be twice a day - depending on whether there is something major happening.

For instance this week the flooring is going down - so we tend to go twice a day - to catch up on both it and the pool construction.
Before we started, we went each weekend to visit the block.
It was lonely.

Once the build has started, around three times a week. But it is a 100k round trip. And when my car was stuffed for a while... we got up there on the train around once a week.

I love the train trip there.

So usually twice during the week, and once on the wekend. It would be much more often if it was closer.
Living in 2 kms to the office and having 23 more kms between the office and the site considering I walk to work I have slim chances to visit my land on a daily basis.. Even if I were to drive to work I wouldn't be visiting the site any more often because 23 kms in Sydney traffic is a pure waste of time...

So yeah, my intention is to visit it every week or so. Maybe more often when I'm forced to drive to another office which is closer to the land...
I must confess i'm a stalker, have been for 2 years since I bought my block...
Since I started renting in the same estate I go every day...sometimes more than once...if something good was getting done:-) It's also a great destination when I walk the dog...any excuse!
Im a daily stalker, but living within a few KMs has caused me to be! Great way to meet the neighbours too as you eventually run into all of them!!
When we were building we used to visit site nearly every day - but it was only 1km away from old house and we did have to keep fit walking and take the dog for walks somewhere
hmmm I am a certified stalker, several times a day I do a drive by...even when it was just land
I need help
I picked 2 or more times per week....that I'm hoping to cut down to anyway

And we haven't cut ground yet!! 3 more weeks, 3 more weeks.....
I'm worried what the heck i'm going to stalk when my house is finished
Spose there should be enough to keep me occupied for a while with landscaping!!
Visit your site as often if you can. i inspected my land (before building) atleast once a week. we were lucky we did as we could keep track of the builders building on surrounding lots to see if they dump their crap on my land. on several occasions this was useful as we could directly trace the source ie construction rubbish with unique bricks only matching one house, my neighbour dumping his crap in boxes which had his name, address and contact number and another neighbour dumping fill and there was only 1 house grading the site at the time. i could provide my evidence to the community liaison officer of the estate who then removed the rubbish for free but if they wouldnt move it i was planning to contact council for illegal dumping as it was also partially on their land so they would be interested.

Once building starts, go as often as you can and take a camera and take as many photos as you can even if the photos arent that important or relevant at the time. (actually take photos even before you start building) im nearing completion of my place and those 'not so important' photos have come in extremely handy to check up on thins at different times, and it keeps a date of the different stages of what happened when.

hey i might be a stalker of my land/house but its proven to save me alot of $$$.

hope this helps
I visit our block pretty much daily... have been doing it since we bought the land back in feb...

considering I live 2 mins from work... the 30 min drive each way isn't exactly on my usual route...
DAILY - my car has a mind of its own!!!
It was 5-6 times a week and it was a 50km round trip out of my way
Daily, I am lucky to be renting 4Kms from where i am building.
my house is a 15min walk from my rental its also on the school run and is never more than 1 min out of my way to anywhere so i go there a lot morning walk way home from school knock of time so stop 1-2 times a day drive by 5-6 times most days school days anyway
hmm, we went everyday when it was just the land and now we are building ( and locked out) both my hubbby & i go twice a day.. hubby will catch the tradies in the arvo for a chat and walk through, i have to put up with looking in the windows as i wont take the kids on site when the guys are working.

When our kids get in the car they ask " are we going to the land first"?
I was visiting up to 3, sometimes 4 times a day. I am now in, but I didn't want to miss ANYTHING during the process! Luckily, it was on the way to and from the school run, only a few Km's away, so I wouldn't really have to detour, I'd just drive by anyway...and often!
I go every week, no point now as nothing will happen! But before the titles were done i saw the road and path go down along with all the sewrage pipung and electricity etc!

Will probably be everyday once something starts happening. Is about an hour round trip from where i am now though, still waiting to meet neigbours though
Every week and it's a 30min one way trip. Usually only me as DP can't see what's so special about a block of dirt.
It's a great excuse to get a coffee from the new Laurimar shopping centre or to visit a display home (again!!!)
When we actually start building then of course we'll both be visiting more often.
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum