Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Electricity Run Allowance

Page 1 of 1
My Allowance for my electricity run is 8 meters. Because the meter box is 20 meters from
the pole I have been charged and extra $800. Has everyone been charged extra?
Ours was 12 metres standard for underground power, and for overhead power lines 18 metres. With underground power and a 4.5m setback, we had plenty of leeway, so no extra costs.

I'm not sure if there's a "standard" for each state, or if each builder just picks a number and doubles it.
Thats interesting I think all builders just make up a number. I like the fact that you have two allowances for overhead vs underground. If my builder was that lenient I would of only had to pay for an extra 2m.
Hi
We were charged extra but after seeing how far out electricity box was from the electricity pit (underground) I understood, we also had to upgarde to 3 phase power due to the distance, this was all explained to us at the tender appointment.
mdzzj
Hi
We were charged extra but after seeing how far out electricity box was from the electricity pit (underground) I understood, we also had to upgarde to 3 phase power due to the distance, this was all explained to us at the tender appointment.

How much were you charged? It cost me $1500 for 20m of 3 phase. I am annoyed as I got quoted $660.
I don't know what the actual electricity charge was as it came to a total approx $5500 for all services.

The electricity run was approx 60 mts. Standard allowance 12mts

other services cost included
-Additional run of water mains due to site setback. Standard allowance 5mts ours is 7.5
-Agriculture drains to to base of sitecut including 2 silt pits for drainage
-Additional run of storm water and sewer over standard allowance . Standard allowance 650 sq mts ours is 2040 sq mts.

We have currently seen all the above happen in the last week and can see our monies worth.
I am beginning to think I am they only one that has been charged extra for an electricity run for a standard house.
Hi. We did our own electricity run and meterbox ourselves. Our house is 47 metres from the front fence so we thought it would be much cheaper to do it ourselves.Originally i was told that the inclusion of electrical run was 8m so every metre after that would be $50 per metre. In the end I was credited $200 for the meter & meterbox and $398 for installation of electrical meter / meterbox. No credit for the 8m electrical run.
Quote:
No credit for the 8m electrical run.

Builders are thieves arn't they? They work was deleted they should give you a fair credit.
Question for all:
WHEN exactly do you must have electricity connected on your building site?? Before the framing, after framing, after plastering, or ...?
Also, if there are no bricks yet, what do they do with the meter ??!?!?

Questions for those building in areas which still have the overhead electricity system:

1. How much were you charged by the electrician (or your builder, if this was a part of the tender) for the 3-phase overhead connection from the street power pole to your own private power pole? (this is just to connect from one pole to the other, overhead)

2. How much were you charged for the new electricity meter?? (this is I suppose the supply + install of the meter)

Thanks!
You definitely need electricity before framing because the chippies need power.
OK, and are we allowed to get this done by an electrician of our choice (well I guess this depends on my builder, doesnt it ...)
Question for all:
WHEN exactly do you must have electricity connected on your building site?? Before the framing, after framing, after plastering, or ...?
Also, if there are no bricks yet, what do they do with the meter ??!?!?

Questions for those building in areas which still have the overhead electricity system:

1. How much were you charged by the electrician (or your builder, if this was a part of the tender) for the 3-phase overhead connection from the street power pole to your own private power pole? (this is just to connect from one pole to the other, overhead)

2. How much were you charged for the new electricity meter?? (this is I suppose the supply + install of the meter)

My electricity did not get connected for approx 4 months, all the tradies bought their own generators. I have overhead powerpoles, but they actually dug my electricity under the ground, it cost me approx $1500 for 3 phase power for 20 meters. I was not charged anything by origin to install the electricity meter.
Update:
Yes, the tradies always bring their own generators. We called the builder's electrician and they said we need to have the power connected just before they start internal painting. That's the latest when we need to have it all connected and meter installed.

" I was not charged anything by origin to install the electricity meter. " - does this mean that the electricity company is allowed to do this part of work?
Is anyone else allowed to connect your 3-phase (from your new private pole to the street power pole) and to supply & install new meter?
How much would that typically cost in Sydney (we have Integral Energy in our area).
Lex
Update:
Yes, the tradies always bring their own generators. We called the builder's electrician and they said we need to have the power connected just before they start internal painting. That's the latest when we need to have it all connected and meter installed.

" I was not charged anything by origin to install the electricity meter. " - does this mean that the electricity company is allowed to do this part of work?
Is anyone else allowed to connect your 3-phase (from your new private pole to the street power pole) and to supply & install new meter?
How much would that typically cost in Sydney (we have Integral Energy in our area).

My builder organised the electricity to be connected, I thought they were going with AGL, thats the paperwork I signed, but Origin actually connected it. I believe any electricity company you like can connect. I chose who I got to connect my gas, and that including the meter also cost nothing. I also have 3 phase, I dont have a private power pole and that was free. Telstra on the other hand, dont get me started.
buildingwithhamra
... My builder organised the electricity to be connected, I thought they were going with AGL, thats the paperwork I signed, but Origin actually connected it. I believe any electricity company you like can connect. I chose who I got to connect my gas, and that including the meter also cost nothing. I also have 3 phase, I dont have a private power pole and that was free. Telstra on the other hand, dont get me started.

So many differences between builders (and by the looks of it, states - seems like you are not in NSW).
Anyway, we already know that AGL will charge us around $600 to supply new meter and connect gas later on, and we have to org all of that ourselves ... hmmmm, come to think of it, is this done pre or post handover?? How are they going to check if our gas outlets/appliances actually work!?!?
Anyway, we were charged extra for everything, with some things not even in the contract (eg. connect electricity!!).
And finaly, I am actually very interested in any Telstra related stories, as we have some confusion over all of that ---> http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27275. Can you add some tips about phone connection process?
Lex
buildingwithhamra
... My builder organised the electricity to be connected, I thought they were going with AGL, thats the paperwork I signed, but Origin actually connected it. I believe any electricity company you like can connect. I chose who I got to connect my gas, and that including the meter also cost nothing. I also have 3 phase, I dont have a private power pole and that was free. Telstra on the other hand, dont get me started.

So many differences between builders (and by the looks of it, states - seems like you are not in NSW).
Anyway, we already know that AGL will charge us around $600 to supply new meter and connect gas later on, and we have to org all of that ourselves ... hmmmm, come to think of it, is this done pre or post handover?? How are they going to check if our gas outlets/appliances actually work!?!?
Anyway, we were charged extra for everything, with some things not even in the contract (eg. connect electricity!!).
And finaly, I am actually very interested in any Telstra related stories, as we have some confusion over all of that ---> http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27275. Can you add some tips about phone connection process?

My gas meter was installed a few days before handover. I wouldn't stress too much about your appliances working ...I am sure they will. I am in SA, and my first electricity bill was $10, so I dont think I got charged for install. Telstra confuses me, they say the install charge could be up to $300. I thought my builder did everything, and the telstra guy just flicks the switch. I will find out when my first bill comes what the price actually is. In SA, I had to connect with Telstra.
OK, I know that Telstra will definitely charge you to connect, and it's $299. Have a look at this http://www.telstra.com.au/movinghome/newhome.cfm ...
I'm dreading to call them jsut because I always had to call them numerous times for simple issues, and each time it takes about 1 week or sometimes more!! I can't help but expect nothing different this time ...
Related
20/11/2023
Brick Elevator truck hit and run

General Discussion

you did, but you didnt identify the smear/logo

23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum