Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NoAnchovy's building the Blackwood @ Oyster Harbour Estate

Page 1 of 2
Hi all

Thought I would start up one of these to keep track of everything that is going on with our very new building plans. Me and my husband got our acceptance on our land yesterday and we had our initial meeting with the builder. Today I have all these colour charts and selection book strewn across my floor and I have to admit I am scratching my head a bit. For us everything needs to move quickly as we want our final contracts signed by Dec 31 (for first home buyers) ...

So far keystart have been a total PITA but our builder is being great

Our block is 567m2 in the new Oyster Harbour Estate in Albany and we are building with WA Country Builders - a pre-design called The Blackwood. The beauty of the estate is that the average site fees are between 3 and 4k. Retaining walls are already done and we get free colour bond fencing and $5k for front landscaping and retic. Its a telstra velocity estate so we are researching as much as we can on that because the developer who introduced us to the block told us approx what we *should* pay and what has actually been charged for conduits.

Hiccups so far have been:

If we make ANY alterations to plans it is a $1500 redraft fee (apparently we dont have drafters down here and they are sent to Perth) and it will take 4 weeks for the plans to be re-drawn and returned. Time we can't really afford.

We are going through the Aboriginal Home Loans part of keystart, we paid our $175 for valuation and yesterday they hit us up for another $195 because we didn't buy a house and land package (???) we are fighting this because people going through regular keystart have not had to pay this. Their reason being the valuers will have to go out to site three times.

And finally we have to have a pre- pre-start because EVERYTHING we want including extras and upgrades has to be in our preliminary contract because once we send that to Keystart we are locked in. We weren't able to allocate a pre-start allowance either so our builder has very graciously bent over backwards organising meetings with electricians and plumbers and getting us all the information pronto so that we can have our contract signed sealed and delivered to keystart ASAP

What a mouth full LOL

So far its been very exciting but a huge headache all at once. I look forward to getting to know everybody

Cheers
Tanya
Have fun with colours today and good luck with your build
Hi there you made it here. Welcome to the forum.

I think I learnt all I know from here. Not that I know much

I will be eagerly following your build!!!

So excited for you. Even though I know its a head stress.

Kat
Deposit paid to builder, signing forms tonight so the site survey can start YAY ..

still can't decide on colours for the life of me
Yah one step closer...

Least you have a bit of time with colour selections. It is a headache though lol

Kat
Ok have some pictures of the block and plans

Went to find tiles yesterday and it was nightmare. I think the experience would have been much more positive had the service been worth a pinch. Hopefully the next place will be better, mind you I think they could stand at the door and fling rotten fruit at us and it would be a more positive experience than the last place.

up side we are having all the costings done on our preferred flooring

and

I think we have our bench tops and laminate picked. just double checking the choices on the bricks, roof tiles, panel lift door etc this morning but I think we can cross them off. Its hard choosing the colours as my husband is colourblind and not much help LOL
Great looking block there

The plan is great.

Good luck for prestart they seem to do things a little bit different the country builders.
Grr at the tile sales people no idea of customer service. That is not good.
Can't wait to see your selections.
Thanks I cant wait to have this part sorted!

Thanks for the welcome Hels I only just spotted it LOL

We pick up the quote on the flooring today - changed my mind on the home theatre colour

So far the carpet choices are:

Living room - toffee

Master Suite - snowy white

Home Theater - Graphite

Demie's - Lilac crystal

Jessie's is a really dark chocolate brown, (he wanted black but they didnt really have any black black) not sure of the exact colour as they didnt have a swatch for us to bring home. Georgia's and Amy's is a light bluish green. Will put pictures up for them when I get them. We went for standard 7ml underlay in the bedrooms but upgraded to an antibac for the living and theatre so its a bit better protected from heavy usage.

Our Bench tops were tricky as we are going for a red wood flooring (not snap lock laminate but the next one up as there is no swell rate if it gets wet - bit more exxy but worth it). Our bench tops ended up being Meteorite in a velour finish with the cupboards being New Antique White. It was hard deciding as we have chosen quite dark flooring there has to be that balance with light colours otherwise it will end up being a den.

The splashback tiles are still up in the air as the only ones in the whole place I liked were a discontinued line and they have to get back to me. Our laundry and toilet tiles are Milan Black - the grey looking ones in the picture

Didn't quite get to bathrooms yet .. maybe this afternoon
Oh I am loving those colours. I really like the carperts. LOL@Dem and her purple carpet. It will look amazing.

Wow that is good on the timber flooring. That will look sooo nice.

It will really look great.

Kat
Nice colour choices so far!! Especially the purple

Gorgeous house plan! I've always liked WA Country Builders (especially their plan for The Carnegie - one of my favs).
Thanks ladies, that helps me feel a bit more confident now!

Went into town this morning and settled on the bricks, roof and pavers for certain. It was so much different seeing them than looking at the skewiff colours of the brochures. We are using Geographe Limestone bricks from Austral, Sambuca Monier Prime roof tiles and Grey Landscape pavers with a golden dune border - I do have pics I just have to upload them

Major spanner in the works today - got my call to fly out for my FIFO mining job - I am gone next Wed so Cal will be doing pre-start on his own
NoAnchovy

Went into town this morning and settled on the bricks, roof and pavers for certain. It was so much different seeing them than looking at the skewiff colours of the brochures. We are using Geographe Limestone bricks from Austral, Sambuca Monier Prime roof tiles and Grey Landscape pavers with a golden dune border - I do have pics I just have to upload them

Major spanner in the works today - got my call to fly out for my FIFO mining job - I am gone next Wed so Cal will be doing pre-start on his own

OMG lucky you have chosen everything. That combo will look great. You will have to give him a detailed list with everything written.

God next Wed how nerve wracking. The day has finally arrived.

Hell I might be there if I am *** ended out of here lol

Kat
I'll pull some strings LOL
NoAnchovy

Is it possible to ring and do Pre-start early?? You do not want to miss it if possible lol

Kat
OH!!! If you can possibly bring prestart forward a bit so you can still go... definately do it... cause you have to make sure you include absolutely everything!!! Cause changes will cost you

But when i did my prestart, after i'd gone back to work she emailed me a list of my changes so i could look over them before signing off on them. Maybe you could do that too?
Jodie80
OH!!! If you can possibly bring prestart forward a bit so you can still go... definately do it... cause you have to make sure you include absolutely everything!!! Cause changes will cost you

But when i did my prestart, after i'd gone back to work she emailed me a list of my changes so i could look over them before signing off on them. Maybe you could do that too?

You were lucky. The minute we signed in the office. Not allowed to take them overnight or anything. Then we couldn't make any changes. I think that's wrong. They are quick to take the money but don't like you to do any changes at all.
We can do our pre-start as soon as the site survey has been done - our sales rep said 7 - 10 days from yesterday. *hopefully* they wont drag their feet. if they do i am in the process of making comprehensive lists before i go so that cal knows everything.

on the other side of life cal got my mobile broadband and ipod yesterday ready for fly-out. just have to go do some shopping for bits and pieces and sit my HR learners this morning and i will be all set

Got pics of bricks and pavers to upload too
NoAnchovy
We can do our pre-start as soon as the site survey has been done - our sales rep said 7 - 10 days from yesterday. *hopefully* they wont drag their feet. if they do i am in the process of making comprehensive lists before i go so that cal knows everything.

on the other side of life cal got my mobile broadband and ipod yesterday ready for fly-out. just have to go do some shopping for bits and pieces and sit my HR learners this morning and i will be all set

Got pics of bricks and pavers to upload too

Well hopefully they get a hurry on and somehow you can make it. Who knows what taps he might choose lol

Oh Yah so you are all set to go.. how exciting. YOu have so much on the go at once. But hey whats new always the way.

Oooh can't wait to see bricks and pavers etc. You have done so well to get this organised in record time. Usually this part takes months. Lets hope they are speedy getting your contract done. Keep on their backs with that.

Kat
Thanks Kat
Everything does seem to happen all at once with us! Cal is also car hunting at the mo too to replace the Daewoo so that we are back to having 2 vehicles. Think we will get a new Suzuki Swift so when we get the prado in January we can let Jess (eldest son turning 16 in a week) use the swiftas his first car. The thought of him driving just does my head in

Any news on your front as to what is happening with the landlord from hell - wait a mo I will go check your build thread.

Gah I am so nervous I feel sick today .. Still have to chose splash back tiles and get second quote on flooring and check out blinds for the windows.
NoAnchovy
Thanks Kat
Everything does seem to happen all at once with us! Cal is also car hunting at the mo too to replace the Daewoo so that we are back to having 2 vehicles. Think we will get a new Suzuki Swift so when we get the prado in January we can let Jess (eldest son turning 16 in a week) use the swiftas his first car. The thought of him driving just does my head in

Any news on your front as to what is happening with the landlord from hell - wait a mo I will go check your build thread.

Gah I am so nervous I feel sick today .. Still have to chose splash back tiles and get second quote on flooring and check out blinds for the windows.

Oooh car hunting as well..You guys have much to do. New car, new house, new job, new life LOL

I know there's an endless list isn't there. Then on top of that you have the fact you are finally going to the mines LOL.. I can't believe it.
Related
26/05/2024
Estate restricting lot owners installing rolling shutter

Renovation + Home Improvement

A lot of those Covenants are put in place at the time the Developers are still involved and marketing a certain look and they get ignored or expire after a time. If the…

15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum