Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Garage to The Boundry Wall

Page 1 of 2
Hello...

I am building a new home in Highlands Estate, Craigieburn, Melbourne. Someone adviced me to not to build garage to the wall....I mean to the boundry as eaves/gutters will fall on neighbours boundry although these will be attached to the roof. I was adviced to built garage wall 20cm from the boundry to avoid any future dispute with the neighbour. I really don't want to loose this 20cm as this will be a waste of space and I will loose 20cm on other side of the boundry.

Will there be any issue on building the garage to the boundry.

Does anyone had a problem with the neighbour on this issue.

Should I build to the boundry or leave a space.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
I don't know where you are or what your local regulations are but I'd be real surprised if you are allowed to build on your neighbours property. It's not "to avoid any future dispute", your gutter just doesn't belong on someone else's property. Yeah, that little strip of ground below might seem a bit silly. Do you have to get approval to build up to the boundary? We had to, and in other houses we didn't go through the rigmarole of delaying building while agreement was sought from all the neighbours (yes all, not just the neighbour on that side, how silly is that) so we've had experience of both and I tell you what, the metre wide strip is more annoying than 20cm.
We are building with only 15cm from the fence line and it seems so is our neighbour so could be interesting when they go to put our gutters up. Neighbours are 2 weeks ahead of us.
Macy
I don't know where you are or what your local regulations are but I'd be real surprised if you are allowed to build on your neighbours property. It's not "to avoid any future dispute", your gutter just doesn't belong on someone else's property. Yeah, that little strip of ground below might seem a bit silly. Do you have to get approval to build up to the boundary? We had to, and in other houses we didn't go through the rigmarole of delaying building while agreement was sought from all the neighbours (yes all, not just the neighbour on that side, how silly is that) so we've had experience of both and I tell you what, the metre wide strip is more annoying than 20cm.

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I live in Melbourne and building house in Highland Estate in Craigieburn. We don't need to get any approval to build to the boundry. We can, we are just worried that in future our neighbours says that your eves/gutters are crossing the boundry although these are fixed to the roof. I was just concerned that this 20cm of space will be a waste. So you rekon I should leave it or make it to the boundry wall.

Thanks
penny77
We are building with only 15cm from the fence line and it seems so is our neighbour so could be interesting when they go to put our gutters up. Neighbours are 2 weeks ahead of us.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. So, with the 15cm space next to your garage wall.....isn't it a waste of space. What are you going to do to cover that space up or utilize it.
I'm also building in Highlands and although I haven't finalised my contracts yet, the initial plans/discussions with my builder are to put my garage right on the boundary - there didn't seem to be any problem with doing this.

I know that the last time I built a house I also put the garage wall right on the boundary and as a result I had to pay a fee (sorry, can't remember how much) to the builder to update the gutters so they didn't go over onto the neighbours property (I can't remember what this is called, but I believe it's not uncommon).

Maybe have a chat to your builder and see what they say?

P.
Well if there's a way of sitting the gutter on the wall instead of hanging beside it then that's a solution.
Piper+1
I'm also building in Highlands and although I haven't finalised my contracts yet, the initial plans/discussions with my builder are to put my garage right on the boundary - there didn't seem to be any problem with doing this.

I know that the last time I built a house I also put the garage wall right on the boundary and as a result I had to pay a fee (sorry, can't remember how much) to the builder to update the gutters so they didn't go over onto the neighbours property (I can't remember what this is called, but I believe it's not uncommon).

Maybe have a chat to your builder and see what they say?

P.

Hi

Thanks for your reply and good luck for your dream house. Its good you haven't chose Simonds.....they are the suckers....they come up with hidden costs after I finalized evthg with them. Just make sure to clear evthg with PD before you sign the contract. They will say we quoted you an estimate but infact the real figures easily take 3-5 grands more.

So how you gonna do...build to the wall or gonna leave a space.
aye im in highlands, we are building our garage on the boundary! no one has a problem with it yet
Hi, I have build on the boundary, the gutter does not hang over your neighbours property. the design is different to the gutter with an eave. i will attach a plan for you. My council will not allow a house to be build 20cm from the boundary as it is a haven for rodents and a fire trap. Yes it is a pain to build on the boundary as the neighbours will complain about everything...well mine did and they are still complaining about two shrubs and missing dirt...and the colour of my house and the air conditioner placement etc etc etc. Maybe you will get good neighbours? I still recommend building on the boundary even with all my issues.
tandyg77

So how you gonna do...build to the wall or gonna leave a space.

I'll be building right on the boundary - my block is pretty small as it is anyway and I don't want 20cm of space that I can't use.

P.
It's really a simple answer, if you are allowed to hang you gutters over his property then obviously he should be able to do the same, so if you construct as per your idea of hanging your gutters over the boundary, I guess when he comes to do it he has the right to demolish part of your house so that he can hang his gutters over the boundary. So the short answer, don't be the first to do it , be second and then you get to demolish!

Dan
Ask your builder for a quote on a box gutter (parapet wall) to get a flush wall right on the boundary. We bought an established house and one neighbour has two single garages on our boundary - hate the look of it, but it was there when we bought it and can't get rid of it now!
tandyg77
They will say we quoted you an estimate but infact the real figures easily take 3-5 grands more.

I don't think there's any such thing as quoting an estimate. I think the way it works is you can have . . .

an estimate which is only an estimate and anything can change

OR

a quote which is binding

BUT

a quote can have wording included in it to allow for something, say something unpredictable, to be varied if necessary.
i can't find a better pic but in Perth a lot of people have garage walls on th boundry. They have to be a fire-proof parapet wall and the gutter is a different shape. The shape of the gutter and the removal of eaves means that the property next to you can also do the same thing without any problems.

It isn't the best pic. But this is my house and my neighbours house - both walls are on the boundry except I did't put my wall on top of the retaining wall (The estate put in the retaining wall so I'm not trusting it with my house like hte neighbour did)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40514856@N06/3751982812/
Quote:
if you are allowed to hang you gutters over his property

You are not allowed to hang your gutter over your neighbours property, are you people serious??????
slknv
Ask your builder for a quote on a box gutter (parapet wall) to get a flush wall right on the boundary.

That is exactly what is required in this situation. I am also going to build my house with the garage on the boundary. It is costing me an extra $766 to have boxed guttering along the garage wall. I was told this was the only option to ensure the guttering didn't go over the boundary line.
TAKE HEED OF WHAT 'BUILDINGWITHHAMARA' STATES.

I recently built and was surprised one day when I went up to have a look after the fascia and gutters were on to find that mine sat under the next door neighbours which was an existing house about 4-5 years old. My setback from the side boundary was 200mm as is the neighbours. Fascia and gutter apparently measures 230mm which means 30mm ends up over the boundary.

When I checked with council (my builder got the building permit thru a private company not council), council very clearly stated that NO PART of your build is to intrude onto the neighbours property. My builder had to redo the guttering so that it sat on top of the brickwork and not off the side of it. Unless there is an issue down the track then the neighbours will stay as is.

Things you need to consider are that insurance companies will look for any way out if they possibly can and having an illegal build is certainly a way out if there are any claims on your house. Another thing is technically you should have to declare the issue of your build being on neighbouring property if you go to sell it. I know I wouldn't consider buying a property if there was an issue like that declared.

Please do not do it, it may end up costing you a lot more down the track.
I'm building with M and they sorted this for me right from the start. The plans include special layout for the gutters on the boundary so they don't go over the boundary, similar to what buildingwithhamra posted.
[Hi, I have build on the boundary, the gutter does not hang over your neighbours property. the design is different to the gutter with an eave. i will attach a plan for you. My council will not allow a house to be build 20cm from the boundary as it is a haven for rodents and a fire trap. Yes it is a pain to build on the boundary as the neighbours will complain about everything...well mine did and they are still complaining about two shrubs and missing dirt...and the colour of my house and the air conditioner placement etc etc etc. Maybe you will get good neighbours? I still recommend building on the boundary even with all my issues.

Hello...

Thanks for the honest advice. I do want to make it to the boundry line but really afraid of doing extra work if my neighbours are not good. I think I will consider your recommendation as after all the troubles you had, you still recommend it.

Thanks
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum