Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Can you tile showers when the house is built on stumps

Page 1 of 1
I am building a new house on stumps and have been told by my builder that he would not recommend laying tiles on the shower base. The builder stated that we would have problems in the future with cracking and movement. Has anyone else had any problems????
Hey Magmyster,

By stumps do you just mean bearers and joist? If so, I don't see that it would be that out of the ordinary. My shower recess is tiled, as is the rest of the bathroom; I don't think the shower recess would be any more prone to cracking from movement than the rest of the tiled bathroom floor.

Good luck with your build
If you lay cement sheet under the tiles then there shouldnt be any problems.
Our old house was on stumps and there was a lot of movement due to unstable soil. We were forever filling gaps between cornices and ceilings/walls.

We had no issues with floor tiles and only some minor grout cracking, but over the years, the acrylic shower bases moved significantly, so that water pooled in one corner. I can't see that a tiled base would be any worse though....

Our tiles were all laid on cement sheet. None of this cementing them directly to the floorboards....thank goodness. It was hard enough ripping the nails out of the sheets when we wanted to replace the tiles.
Related
6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

4/03/2024
Steel stumps, S vs H2, house movement

General Discussion

Are they stumps or screw piles ? How much fill is there, is the site a class "P" ? A "H2" site is not supposed to have stumps it is supposed to have grid beams according…

15/12/2023
Fill & Slab vs. Tall stumps

Building A New House

If you're in a flood zone, not only are you dealing with the importation of fill and laying it down in 150 lifts to achieve compaction, you're going to have to consider…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum