Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

PGH Bricks

Page 1 of 3
Hi

I was just wondering who has used PGH bricks for building their house and what colours they chose?

Our builder uses them, and after going to have a look at the selection centre the other day, hubby and I chose a few colours we liked, but the 3 we liked the most, which were Vino, Expresso and Chocolatto have just had a colour change and are now much darker, so to use them we would be going in a little blind
Choosing colours is HARD!!!!

If anyone could post their PGH pics-that would be great!!
Hi Linda, we're using PGH bricks. We really really wanted to use Sorbetto but their birth home is NSW so the freight charges made them expensive. We ended up choosing Oyster.

Here's a pic of them from a few weeks ago, I'm hoping they'll start putting some up this week sometime.

What colours were you thinking of using? We found it really hard to find a colour we both liked. We're not brown/cream people and we didn't really want red... doesn't leave many options! Good luck - their website is pretty handy with the big, up-close shots of the bricks - though my monitor makes everything look a little pink
Hi LJ, we are using PGH in SA so we don't have quite the range you have access to, however we are using Oyster as well and I have attached an image for you. The Oyster may not be quite as brown as the styles you have been looking at - much more of a grey-brown - anyway but this may help.

alulei
Hi Linda, we're using PGH bricks. We really really wanted to use Sorbetto but their birth home is NSW so the freight charges made them expensive. We ended up choosing Oyster.

Don't tell me this
We are going in for colour selection tommorow and where going to go with Sorbetto
Great now I am going to have to rethink everything
Sorry Netadelle
They were a $8K upgrade. If they're worth that much to you then you should go for it for sure! But we couldn't justify the extra $. Oyster was the only greyish colour that is local to SA from PGH... that I'm aware of, anyway. Austral was our other choice of bricks but they didn't really have any greyish colour ones, either.

Thanks for the pic haze! Nice to see the bricks "up" - I so can't wait! OOOooooOOOOOOooo *does happy dance*
alulei
Thanks for the pic haze! Nice to see the bricks "up" - I so can't wait! OOOooooOOOOOOooo *does happy dance*

Yeah I think they look great up. They lose they brown/redish tinge that is noticeable when they sit on the pallet. Ours in the picture look a bit dark as they were wet, they come up a little lighter but still nice and grey when dry.

What mortar are you using? We just stuck with the grey by choice as we weren't so keen on the light stuff.
my hubby wants to use the almond from Boral, but I think that is to yellow for what I want to achieve. We can't afford any upgrade on the bricks.
What roof/guttering did you go with?
Sorry we've hijacked your thread, lj.

haze: we saw the bricks with natural so we just went with this - at the time we didn't really give it much thought, but it seemed to look ok to us! It looked light-grey colour, is that the other name for it? The brighton light is the yellowy one isn't it?

netadelle: check your messages - i sent you a pic so you can see which other colours we chose. haze's surfmist roof in her blog looks really beautiful with the bricks. I hope we haven't gone too dark with monument fascias and gutters and black roof tiles...
Quote:
I was just wondering who has used PGH bricks for building their house and what colours they chose?

Me! Me! Me!

We have PGH bricks, Harvest Gold, with the Brighton Lite mortar, here is pic of section of the house:

We are using PGH Palazzo "Chiara" with off white flush mortar.
alulei
haze's surfmist roof in her blog looks really beautiful with the bricks. I hope we haven't gone too dark with monument fascias and gutters and black roof tiles...

Hey I'm not a 'her' I'm just a guy with great taste

Alulei, your monument fascias/gutters should look good. We have a monument garage door going on so can't wait to see the nice contrasts. I don't think your tiles will look too dark though, your roof will just have a heavier look than ours. We wanted a light and breezy reflective roof.
Our daughter has built using PGH Sorbetto with Sambucca roof tiles and it looks lovely. The house stands out in her street and she has never wavered on her choices - still loves it! And we've chosen Chocolatto with Wild Rice tiles, so it will be interesting to see the change in colour with them. Hope it's not a drastic change.
Hey there,

I'm using 'sorbetto' and i love it. It goes quite dark when its wet but lovely when its dry
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww247/housetobe/house555001.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww247/housetobe/house555005.jpg
We used PGH Rattan with Barramundi tiles, Ironstone gutter and Dune fascia/garage. We're really happy with these.

I couldn't agree more: chosing colours is the hardest part of the whole building process. It stressed me out right to the end.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0047.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0046.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0275.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/JellyLegs01/100_0260.jpg
Thanx everyone, love your pics

I went today to have a look at some houses built in Cassica, quite like it

Laine
And we've chosen Chocolatto with Wild Rice tiles, so it will be interesting to see the change in colour with them. Hope it's not a drastic change.

Hi Laine, apparentely they have taken the sand out of these bricks and now they are quite a lot darker, as they have also done to the Vino and the expresso. The expresso is now almost black looking so I was told by PGH, and the Vino is now really purple.

Leaht, I really love the look of your Sorbetto bricks and have found out where there are a couple of houses locally that have built with this brick so I am going to go and have a look.
Whoops posted twice
We are using PGH Seaforth Sandstocks.

They were an $8k upgrade on the standard bricks. They are a solid
through brick. They have a very old style look to them. Very rustic.
Can't wait to see them up.

Love all your colour selections, great taste. We are not so daring, I'm afraid and I can't show any pics as we are not building yet.

I think we go for PGH RICE + Off White mortar and Barramundi roof tiles. The Fascia and Gutters are going to be Ocean Blue because hubby was soooo disappointed when he heard that Blue Oyster was going to be discontinued early 2009. A lot of the houses here in the area have blue roofs and we had spent so much petrol, driving around and looking for white brick houses with blue roofs.

Anyway, we think that Burramundi is quite neutral and that Blue Ocean will give the impression that the rest of the roof is rather dark blue than anything else.

Eaves and Downpipes are going to be Surf Mist and the Garage Door either Ocean Blue or Surf Mist. We took a couple of RICE bricks home and they tend to look yellowish so we hope that Surf Mist will underline the white. If it turns out to be too white we might choose Paperbark instead. What do you think?

Another thing I would like to ask you is about the Garage Door. We are going to have a single car garage and the door will be part of 27 meter long wall. The Entry will also be on this side. Would you choose a Surf Mist or Ocean Blue door?
With a light coloured door the wall might appear too long and the blue one will break it up but I don't want it to become too cluttered.
We haven't decided on the front door yet, but probably Surf Mist again.

Please let me know what you think.
ozzroo
We are using PGH Seaforth Sandstocks.

They were an $8k upgrade on the standard bricks. They are a solid
through brick. They have a very old style look to them. Very rustic.
Can't wait to see them up.

Ozzroo, your bricks are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! So much character. They'll be such a nice feature on your house - I hope you're not going to cover too much of them in render? The cleanness of the tiles and gutters/fascias in the pic should give a really nice contrast and make the bricks "pop". I'm going to be watching your build with interest now - can't wait to see some bricking action!
Am feeling a bit upset at the moment - our Chocolatto bricks were delivered yesterday and they are a different batch number to the two pallettes that were delivered earlier. The first batch was for laying the first course, with the termimesh on it. My concern relates to the post that advised of the changes to the colours of some of the range - thanks for that, I may not have thought to look at the batch numbers - and the sand surface of chocolatto is what attracted us to make this choice in the first place. We've called PGH and will see what they come up with, it's hard to see the difference in colour as they are wet and that makes them very dark. They said they'd ordered ours as soon as they got notice of the changes so we'd get the colour we selected, but I fear the worst! Anyone else in this situation? Just hope we don't need to choose another colour as Wild Rice tiles won't go with just anything.
Related
16/10/2023
PGH Expresso or Vino Brick?

Building A New House

Which brick color is good - PGH Expresso or…

27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum