Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Site Costs

Page 1 of 1
A few months ago we were planning to build with Homes Now (NBG). They went and did the soil tests. They came back with Class M and silty clay which I thought was pretty good. Now I understood we have a bit of fall so there was going to be some extra costings. But the extra costs they came up with was $45,000 extra! We nearly feel of our chairs!! So I highly suggest no-one to build with them.
Now we are trying to go through another builder (Simonds Homes). Now they seem really good and reasonable. At the beginning we got them to do a estimate on the soil testing we had already. For a 20.6 sq home they estimated $13,500 which we thought was alright. They called us in to look at the final contract with the soil test they had done, they claimed that now it had fill and was class P so now we are at the other end of the scale.

How could soil tests on the same property be so different?
We have sent them out there again to do a second test through a different company.

Has anybody else had this type of drama?
hmm from what you said, if there's soil type discrepancy, this sounds like a place where builder can make money ??
I know, it didn't seem right to us either. The builder actually looked suprised when we brought out our other soil tests.
We have sent them out to do a second lot of soil testing. But is it actually possible for the tests to change that much?

Its quite annoying.
hey there, I think the site costs can vary greatly. It's no secret that Home Now are a bargain builder, so it doesn't surprise me that they have really charged you a bit on the site costs. But there def is problems with the site if it's P class, whether it's 10-20K worth, perhaps have an independent engineer assist you with a report of his own. I guess you don't mind paying if that is what is needed, you just appear to need some independent advice, I don't blame you!

Annie
We ahve been getting prices to get a indpendant soil test done but the prices aren't cheap. Its just strange that the soil type is totally different. One company said its silty clay Class M and the other says its Fill and class P. A bit odd I think.
Do you have a report form the developer as to whether there is any fill on the block? If so you should also get a compaction report.

You said that Simonds initially estimated 13.5 k but you didn't mention their second cost, just that it was more expensive and they classified P.

Have they classified the soil as P or the site? There is a difference. If you have fill, the site will be P but the soil may not be. Do you need piering because of the fill? This could be the extra cost.

You mentioned you have fall, if you need a considerable cut and fill you may also need piering.

Also when the initial soil test was conducted, was the land settled? Or still being developed?
The second cost was roughly about 20k. They have stated that the soil is class P and that we will need Peirs not for the fall we don't even need retaining walls . But our previous soil test say we are M (which is their standard inclusion) and the soil is Silty Clay not fill. Also the land had settled before they did the soil tests so there could not of been any change. Clay and fill there is a big difference.
Focus06
The second cost was roughly about 20k. They have stated that the soil is class P and that we will need Peirs not for the fall we don't even need retaining walls . But our previous soil test say we are M (which is their standard inclusion) and the soil is Silty Clay not fill. Also the land had settled before they did the soil tests so there could not of been any change. Clay and fill there is a big difference.

How big is your fall?? What will the cut and fill be if any? We need piers but not retaining walls so they don't always go hand in hand.

Speak to your land developer. They should be able to provide something to say there is no fill on the block if there isn't. Then take that documentation to Simonds and ask them to explain how they have come to the conclusion there is fill.

Is there any possibility, that somewhere along the line the wrong block has been tested and that's why there's a discrepency?
The fall is roughly about 1.4m and they will be cutting and using the dirt they cut to fill the rest so no dirt will needed to be brought in. The reason we don't need retaining wall is our block is large enough to spread things out (26.72 x 30.75m) 816sqm. They have told us the whole procedure and we have asked all the questions. The site costs weren't the trigger for us to be unhappy its the fact that the soil test were so different. How can our block go from silty clay to fill dirt cannot change itself.
Focus06
The fall is roughly about 1.4m and they will be cutting and using the dirt they cut to fill the rest so no dirt will needed to be brought in. The reason we don't need retaining wall is our block is large enough to spread things out (26.72 x 30.75m) 816sqm. They have told us the whole procedure and we have asked all the questions. The site costs weren't the trigger for us to be unhappy its the fact that the soil test were so different. How can our block go from silty clay to fill dirt cannot change itself.

Ok, so if you're not worried about the site costs and you are comfortbale with the figure they've come back with what exactly is the problem?
If there is fill, it will be clean fill so there's no problem with that.
I must be missing something because I'm confused about what the actual problem is then because your thread is titled "Site Costs" so that would suggest that the amount is the problem.
Related
26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

17/04/2024
Site costs

Buying Land

Henley should give you some indication of site costs. Too many variable to give you any reasonable accuracy

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum