Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Questions re Henley Frame Specs | Waffle pod slab

Page 1 of 1
Does any one knows re the specs of Henley frames..

The spacing of the studs : ?
The thickness of the timber : ?
Spacing : ? (450 or 600 or 900)
MGP 10 or MGP 12 or F5 ?

Will this information be included in the contract?

Also I understand that Henley does not do Waffle Pod slab? The slab that they do.. is that equally good ?

Lastly.. What is sarking .. and is it recommended to have sarking with Colorbond roof? I read somewhere that it is not mandatory to have sarking.. but happy to have it it it helps in some way..

Cheers
I know the answers to most of your questions, but I'm not prepared to post them as it will most likely be considered an attack on Henley.

But considering the response my post in the Henley thread generated, I'm surprised no-one can answer your questions as many of those posters seemed to have considerable knowledge of the materials used.

If no-one here can help you, email your CSC and they should be able to give you definitive answers.
Posts: 21 Does any one knows re the specs of Henley frames..

The spacing of the studs :
Not sure but i reckon they will be using 600 centres, I would be aiming for 450.

The thickness of the timber : ?
They should be using 90 X 35 for comman studs
Timber will mostly be F5 however MGP10 is what i would be aiming for.

Will this information be included in the contract? Not sure

Also I understand that Henley does not do Waffle Pod slab? The slab that they do.. is that equally good ?

I prefer convential slab - but it is site specific. I think what most builders do (when installing waffle) if the ground isnt level is do a site cut., This takes off the upper layers of natural ground which means they are more likely to hit rock in the building process which off course the owner just pays.

Lastly.. What is sarking .. and is it recommended to have sarking with Colorbond roof? I read somewhere that it is not mandatory to have sarking.. but happy to have it it it helps in some way..

Yes aim for sarking. prevents moisture in your roof, and helps a bit with keeping heat out.
I always thought waffle slabs were better
- I know the soil in our entire council area is extremely unstable, and they prefer that type of base. I've lived in the area a long time and our old place was built on concrete stumps, which allowed LOTS of movement. We had a huge crack across an exterior brick wall, and many of our neighbours had recurring large cracks in plaster. The switch in recent years to floating slabs seems to have reduced that sort of thing a lot. I really don't know what the alternative is, but I have a feeling it's more expensive. Could be wrong, of course, my knowledge of construction technology is pretty limited.

As for the specs, why don't you just ask the H3nley sales people? They must be able to tell you. It'll be in the specifications, which you should get at tender, but there's no reason they shouldn't tell you beforehand.
I just pulled out my contract and the answers are below

DARING2Build
Does any one knows re the specs of Henley frames..

The spacing of the studs : Weight bearing walls 450mm, non weigh beearing walls -600mm
The thickness of the timber : 90 x 35
MGP 10 or MGP 12 or F5: MGP 10 and F5 for studs

Will this information be included in the contract? Yes its all included in Henley's Next Generation Specifications

Also I understand that Henley does not do Waffle Pod slab? The slab that they do.. is that equally good ? I just asked my Dad that question as i had no idea and he said they are both as good as each other!

Sarking is the stuff that goes under roof tiles or colourbond it is mandatory for all new houses in fire prone areas after these bushfires i believe as it prevents embers getting into the roof. It is also good for keeping heat in and cold out or vice versa.

Cheers
joles
I know the answers to most of your questions, but I'm not prepared to post them as it will most likely be considered an attack on Henley.

simple solution.

put the specs in a table and link sources to the specs. that way everyone can see what the real difference. also include the AS. that way people could see if the cost difference between the two overengineering or necessity.
joles
I know the answers to most of your questions,

Jo, do you know what timber PD use for their frames ?
Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

8/05/2024
Slab overhang (by window frame)

General Discussion

This is the best I have, as it is plastered internally now. I should add there is a steel post in the corner of the room between the window and the glass sliding door,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum