Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

I need a help- PD-Brick color

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, I am brand new here as you could see...I am building francis 29 with PD.

I currently under huge pressure, decide which brick color we gonna use . I personally prefer something dark chocki but this sort of style are at least cat 3. So now my choice is : tanami (cat1), jarrah (cat1) and brown terrain (cat2) . facade could be Armadale ($2200 for upgrade )or Lydon (cat1) .

could someone pls tell me how the brown terrain looks like as whole house ? I could not google any pic of this color .

&
Is that really worth to upgrade facade and render ?

Thank you very much

Sofi
We have Jarrah as a Cat 1. I don't think its Cat 2. We are happy with our choice.. but we'll see how it looks once building is finished.

Good luck!
Hi,
We to were having trouble deciding which we liked (still have not picked yet) but we went out to Austral to have a look at them there as they have mini walls made out of them so you can get a better idea. The sales person was good to as they also gave us some address of houses that had built with the brick colour we liked so we could look at what a finished house looked like which i found very helpful. Maybe you could do that?
erinleigh, my finger's fault..
Jarrah + off-white , my choice ,if I go with Jarrah.

willow04, thanks ! PD require all lifestyle have to go with Boral. although I really prefer austral indeed.
Hysterical114 did their house (Cremorne) in brown terrain - it looks really nice
I'd go for the Brown Terrain as it's closest to what you are looking for.
I found the Boral range really limiting actually, I changed from Lifestyle to Prestige just to use Austral.

But out of what you're looking at, I like the Brown Terrain.
I went with Tanami as I'm not a fan of brown/tan bricks. I think it's been done to death by many many people. But each to their own i suppose. If you like brown bricks, then I wouldnt recommend tanami as it's more of a yellowy colour
haywgl
Hysterical114 did their house (Cremorne) in brown terrain - it looks really nice

Here is the URL to the blog where photos are available in brown terrain with off white mortar

http://ourhouse-take2.blogspot.com/

Brown terrain was CAT 1 when we did our selection so no upgrade charge for the bricks, only the off white mortar

Cheers
here is tanami...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f16/shazburger/home.jpg
Sofi, did you know that you can ring Boral and they will give you address of houses bricked in the choices you are looking at using? We had two bricks picked and after looking at some houses decided on Jarrah, I preferred the colours in it over the brown tones. We used natural/standard mortar as I wanted a dark house but I can also give you a link of a house done in Jarrah with off white mortar.
i vote brown terrain. hysterial's house looks fantastic!
sarahq
i vote brown terrain. hysterial's house looks fantastic!

Thank you
We used Jarrah as well. It a popular color without extra cost, and we love it.

If you want to up grade, its better to ask your CSC what the adtional cost before the color appoinment. We had our's color appointmennt last firday, found the girls didn't give us any up grade price. All she said is 'i don't know the price, please ask your CSC. You can always take if off if the cost is too high'

However,brick will affect the whole picture of your house, its will be very hard to change color after you've chosen garage, roof,render.....to match it. We come to the color center 6 times before appoinment, and feel its better to go there a few times and feel confident about the color before appoinment time.

If you up grade render and facade, please DO ASK your CSC - standard render will cover which area of your front home. It is very important!

We do have a lesson that only days before contract signing, we were told either pay extra 800 on render to ensure developer approve it, or alter the render plan at no cost with the risk that developer will reject the design(if that happens, we still need to pay the extra 800). We still haven't get this solved.

Wish you ask your CSC as many questions as you can, get a clear picture of what you want and all the best for your new home!
Cat 2 will be around the $500 mark.
Hey there,

I am actually a colour consultant/designer and let me tell you not to worry so much.

With brick colour, its a matter of overall colour (orange, brown, cream) then tonal value (dark, medium, light) and then texture or pattern (a blend of motley bricks, or rough./smooth textures).

What you need to think about is this. If you have dark window frames on a brick facade that is light (high tone), then you will show up the number, size and shape of your windows more. If you choose a brick that is the same in tone as the window frame, you won't draw attention to the windows in contrast.

You are now really concerned with the brick, but later on 6 months after moving in, you will just see the house, its size and shape more than the brick. That is not saying you shouldn’t choose a brick that you like of course. But don't worry so much.

Just remember that bricks do date! Dark brown bricks were a trend in 1920-25 in the California bungalow style and have made a come back in the last 10 years- but because they are so dark and different, they will date very quickly. Also they will contrast highly with white, cream windows and show up either how small they are or how large.

So too do highly patterned and intricately blended batches of bricks. A light-medium tone or cream, to orange is the safest and least likely to date as quickly. AND don’t forget your landscaping will hide or add to that anyway.

Hope that helps,
Pinkladyloo
Wow great advise!
I've gone for a yellow/orange colour brick, coz i prefer these colours
I'm not going to tell you what brick to use, because everyone has such different opinions where colour is concerned, and because, like everyone else, there are things I like and don't like!!!

I don't know that I agree that bricks necessarily "date" , as much as, say facade and decor styles, do, but, again, that's just my personal opinion.

I think the only thing I would suggest is to have a look around at different bricks on different houses, and go with what you really love - it's your house, you have to live in it, and it's only you that you need to worry about pleasing!

I LOVE my bricks, I don't really care what anyone else thinks, and I'm not in the least bit concerned that they'll date!

Go with your heart!!!
what can I say !- THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS ! LOVE YOU ..

just went to Tile appointment and back to work- our 1st appointment

I will save this post and have a review after work-now I work for my house , not just life,heh heh^_^#

Sofi,
once again, thank you !!!
pinkladyloo
What you need to think about is this. If you have dark window frames on a brick facade that is light (high tone), then you will show up the number, size and shape of your windows more. If you choose a brick that is the same in tone as the window frame, you won't draw attention to the windows in contrast.

And for me this applies in reverse - light window frames on a dark brick (double storey houses more than a single). They stand out like anything. I wanted my windows to fade into the background so to speak.

pinkladyloo
Just remember that bricks do date!

Agree totally! You only have to drive through Estates that are 10years old and see that.
I'm thinking of buying Cat1 bricks and standard mortar, then render the entire house. We might do the front for a start, then we do the entire house later once we move in. Light beige seems to be the most popular colour for render, so yeah

Choices choices choices
Related
4/10/2023
Roof and Garage color

Building A New House

I would probably definitely consider contrasting out garage door (e.g. light ash would look great) and make downpipes and fascia same colour as your walls, not as your…

12/11/2023
Suggestions for acrylic render Color

General Discussion

Suggestions please for acrylic rendering Color to match austral brick urban one pepper. Pic for reference. Thanks

3/02/2024
Color Thoughts | Renovators Delight

Finishing Touch

Were struck with: Colorbond Ironstone Grey roof and cream windows. What color should we render and paint the garage door to tone down the cream windows? Farm House, will…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum