Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

dennis family homes

Page 1 of 4
hi guys just looking round for house plans and builders at the moment was wondering if anyone had built with dennis family homes and what ur thoughts were
Theres been a few threads about DFH, FND is building with them. I think in general I"ve only heard good things about them.
My parents built with executive homes (same company) 5 years ago and had an excellent build. Their only complaint was the build took nearly 12 months.. but I don't know one builder where the building time is the same for every house. There is so many variables and they have to rely on tradies being available at the right times.
Hi Waz09,

Welcome to the forum.

We will be building with DFH the Harvard 27. So far my dealings with the sales consultant has been great. She is really helpful and answers all my questions.

THis is the thread about the Harvard 27 that we are building.

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=13630

You also need to take note though, the time that they will take to prepare the contract ready for signature (from initial consultation) is about 3 months. So if you are first home buyers, you need to make sure that you allow enough time before the FHO BOOST expire in June 09.

Other than that, everything has been good in my opinion. And I do like the Harvard floorplans a lot! It has everything that we need and laid out nicely.

Let me know if you need further info. Hope this helps.

Stephen
Hi Waz09! I am building the Macquarie with DFH and so far things have been great. I'm up to frame stage (have to get around to starting a thread for my build! and update my blog lol) and am happy with the quality of work so far.

My sales consultant was great and was always happy to answer my many questions (even when they were dumb questions
). The office staff have also been great since I started and the customer service was really important to me since I'm building by myself and it's my first home. All reports I'd heard about DFH were good and I'm very happy I chose to go with them.
Dark Angel
Hi Waz09! I am building the Macquarie with DFH and so far things have been great. I'm up to frame stage (have to get around to starting a thread for my build! and update my blog lol) and am happy with the quality of work so far.

My sales consultant was great and was always happy to answer my many questions (even when they were dumb questions
). The office staff have also been great since I started and the customer service was really important to me since I'm building by myself and it's my first home. All reports I'd heard about DFH were good and I'm very happy I chose to go with them.

What were the inclusions with the macquarie like? The house is in DFH special range yeah?
Quote:
What were the inclusions with the macquarie like? The house is in DFH special range yeah?

Yep, the Macquarie is in the Generation series so had stone benchtops in kitchen, 900mm appliances, glass splashback, upgraded taps and sectional garage door.
Hi Waz09,
I'm buliding the cambridge from the aspirations series, paid deposit in mid November and had signed contracts on 23rd of jan, not bad considering the christmas break. All staff have been really helpful so far, now I'm just waiting for the CBA's formal approval & valuation it's been almost 3 weeks

Cheers & Good luck with your choice.
My husband and I are currently building with DFH, and have found them excellent! We are building the Brookdale 24 at Brimbank Gardens.

Our site start was on the 30th January09 and to date we are at the lock up stage. Our site supervisor is great and keeps us in the loop with everything.

So far our building process has been a breeze.
Just wondering about end to end process times.

From what I've gathered around the forums, and from the friendly DFH staff is that it's approx 12-14weeks from Initial consultation and contract signing.

Then approx. 24 weeks of building time. So to me, that's 9 months (approx).

If anyone could shed more light on the process that would be great. For example, by the time we get to contract stage, are we already in line for a pretty quick site start date? It just seems like 3 months in contract prep is long, and then to wait another month or two would be a killer

Also, what is the process from initial consultation through to contract signing? Is there a specific place we go to pick tiles, colours etc (E.G. The same as PD, M*tricon etc), how many different appointments are there during this?

Sorry for the 20 questions. We are just really interested in building with DFH so would love as much info as possible
We are currently building with Dennis Family. Our site start was last Friday.

In our experience the contract stage took approximately 3 months. We had a month delay due to the Christmas break over January and after two variations we arrived at our site start date last Friday.

From the time of initial consultation we had regular contact with the sales consultant to get to a proposal stage at which time I paid the $1000 deposit. From that point it was just waiting for the contract to be produced. About one month into the wait for the contract we received a call from the DFH Colour Consultants to arrange our colour appointment which is held at their colour room at their head office in East Malvern. We are also provided with a colour pack which provides the contact details of their preferred suppliers. We utilised the rest of the contract stage to visit the suppliers to select colours, styles etc which made the colour appointment very straight forward.

Hope this answers the questions you have raised.

Regards

NoviceBuilder
Thanks NoviceBuilder!

That has actually really put my mind at ease.

I love the idea of the appointment being at their office in East Malvern as we drive home that way some nights, so it will be easy to leave work early one day and do that on the way home (it's the little things that make you happy when building I think
)

I also really like the idea of them giving you the supplier details and you do that on your own time. That makes a lot of sense. Another tick to DFH for me I think.

What DFH office are you dealing with? We went up to the one at Laurimar on the weekend, the lady there was a champion
Glad the answers were of assistance. We have been dealing with the Taylors Hill office as we are building in Taylors Hill. Both the sales consultants whilst extremely busy are always very prompt in answering queries and do put in some marathon hours in order to service their clients.

We had a lot of additional items which we wanted to include due to the fact that we had selected all of our kitchen, bathroom, ensuite appliances, taps, sinks etc as we had initially gone through an architect to design our house only to find that we would of exceeded our budget with the build. We then started to look at a series of builders who had a house design which we liked and would suit the block. Our block is at the end of a hammer head court and whilst it is regular in size and proportion we needed a house design which was more in a homestead style so that our facade would face the street frontage. As Dennis Family build in the country they had a series of homes which suited this style of block so we have settled on the Stanthorpe.

We had a lot of non-standard items added to our contract as we wanted to utilise our selections already made in this house with Dennis Family and they were more than accommodating. As already mentioned we are able to modify the design of the house in order to satisfy the developer setbacks.

I have also found the contract administration process to be very smooth and also the colour consultants / interior designers give you a lot of good ideas and help you finaliseyour decisions. They allow 2 hours for the colour appointment.

Regards,

NoviceBuilder
NoviceBuilder
Glad the answers were of assistance. We have been dealing with the Taylors Hill office as we are building in Taylors Hill. Both the sales consultants whilst extremely busy are always very prompt in answering queries and do put in some marathon hours in order to service their clients.

We had a lot of additional items which we wanted to include due to the fact that we had selected all of our kitchen, bathroom, ensuite appliances, taps, sinks etc as we had initially gone through an architect to design our house only to find that we would of exceeded our budget with the build. We then started to look at a series of builders who had a house design which we liked and would suit the block. Our block is at the end of a hammer head court and whilst it is regular in size and proportion we needed a house design which was more in a homestead style so that our facade would face the street frontage. As Dennis Family build in the country they had a series of homes which suited this style of block so we have settled on the Stanthorpe.

We had a lot of non-standard items added to our contract as we wanted to utilise our selections already made in this house with Dennis Family and they were more than accommodating. As already mentioned we are able to modify the design of the house in order to satisfy the developer setbacks.

I have also found the contract administration process to be very smooth and also the colour consultants / interior designers give you a lot of good ideas and help you finaliseyour decisions. They allow 2 hours for the colour appointment.

Regards,

NoviceBuilder

Im been through the same process (taylors hill also) currently waiting for updated drawings to come back. Which house are you building?
We are building the Stanthorpe 33. What about you?
NoviceBuilder
We are currently building with Dennis Family. Our site start was last Friday.

In our experience the contract stage took approximately 3 months. We had a month delay due to the Christmas break over January and after two variations we arrived at our site start date last Friday.

From the time of initial consultation we had regular contact with the sales consultant to get to a proposal stage at which time I paid the $1000 deposit. From that point it was just waiting for the contract to be produced. About one month into the wait for the contract we received a call from the DFH Colour Consultants to arrange our colour appointment which is held at their colour room at their head office in East Malvern. We are also provided with a colour pack which provides the contact details of their preferred suppliers. We utilised the rest of the contract stage to visit the suppliers to select colours, styles etc which made the colour appointment very straight forward.

Hope this answers the questions you have raised.

Regards

NoviceBuilder

Thats a very clear and excellent explanation, Novice Builder. Spot on

Congratulations on your site start!

We have also paid our $1,000 deposit with DFH now, just waiting for the soil report to come thru. hoping that our site costs wont blow up.

We will be having our colour appointment just after the easter break. Cant wait for that! We have been contacting and visiting the suppliers to the available selection, which is great!

Its good to know that people generally have been happy building with DFH. It gives us more confidence. oh by the way, we are building the Harvard from the Aspirations series.

Stephen
thanks for all your replies guys we live on acreage and its hard to find plans that suit our land and dfh have some great plans currently leaning towards the murchison 27 providing bank funds come through ok we will be going with them
First post

My partner and i are currently renting and just starting out building our first home!

We are building with Dennis Family Homes, who have been fantastic. The process itself has been a little stressful at times and there have been some lengthy delays early on as when we paid our deposit our land wasn't titled. A lengthy waiting period was frustrating but at the same time not the fault of anyone and couldn't be helped.

We paid our deposit in Feb 08 and our slab was layed in November! Currently we are at lock up stage, the wet areas were tiled today and our supervisor (who has been awesome!) has given us approx. 4 weeks until handover.

Exciting, i can't wait!

We are starting small as it's our first home and only the two of us (for now) we are building the Barwon from the Generations series. We also delt with the Taylors Hill Office, who were really great. We are building In the Tenterfield Estate in Burnside Heights (close to Taylors Hill).
My mates are chippies and they have nothing but praise for dennis family homes... That said, I just didn't like their plans and chose Simonds.
We are building the Columbia with DFH and they have been terrific - we went through their financial advisors too and Neil has been just wonderful. I am building with my brother. We haven't got our contract yet, our land doesn't settle till early July so we are just waiting at the moment. We had some dramas with the lawyers for the land vendors which were a bit silly, but our sales consultant and finance dude were only too happy to call them and tell them they were being unreasonable!

Can highly recommend so far...we did have dealings with one uninterested sales consultant at a display village, but the other people involved have been far superior to her and made the experience worthwhile!
Related
2/02/2024
Combining Alfresco with the family room

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi everyone, Newbie renovator here, after some advice for combining our family room in the picture and the alfresco and make a larger family room. There is a flush sill…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum