Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Private Builders

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Well, we have decided to ditch Wincrest and if we have to, forgo our deposit. It turns out that our DA (which had been in council since end of Nov) didn't comply anyway! Who knows what Wincrest were doing! So we are meeting with Council tomorrow and plan to pull the DA (or get it rejected - whichever is most cost effective). We will then take our custom designed plans and substantially change them
so to avoid copyright problems.

So the next stage is architect or draftsman? Wincrest did the soil tests and contour surveys etc so i intend to get those documents out of them so they can be used again.

Also, since we have been burnt by the volume builder experience we are going to go with a private builder.

Any thoughts on how long it might take/cost for an architect/draftsman to amend the plans and what should the process be with a private builder ie, fax them the plans, get a tender etc? What should we look out for? What questions do we need to ask?

Thank you!!

L
IMO I think you should fax your original plans to a few builders and get some quotes.

If Wincrest folds there will be nobody to sue you. If they survive I am sure you can negotiate an outcome - it should be very easy.

I know it sounds risky - but I think there are no risks and it makes sense...

Anyway, that's me..

Ed
Hey Loretta

Happy to hear you've made a decision as to what you are going to do. I would think that since you have some detailed plans - that you are obviously happy with since you designed them - that you would only need a draftsperson to redo them with the compliant changes and any other changes necessary.

In regards to an actual builder I'm not sure but I hope you can find someone and make progress.

Good luck.
Hi Loretta, this is not good news for you, having to move on after deposit and probably losing it, however, it could have been worse. As for your plans, perhaps have a chat with someone at Wincrest about moving on and see what they say about you using your original plans. It might lead to a good outcome for you.

Best of luck

Annie
Annietom
Hi Loretta, this is not good news for you, having to move on after deposit and probably losing it, however, it could have been worse. As for your plans, perhaps have a chat with someone at Wincrest about moving on and see what they say about you using your original plans. It might lead to a good outcome for you.

Best of luck

Annie

It's out of Wincrest's hands, unless you can backdate a deal...
Why not rally all those who paid deposits and approach the administrator. You will drop claims for your deposits if he will give you the rights to one house each?

Ed
Ed, that is a very good idea. It might just work. I take your point about no one being around to sue. I will see what council says - we may well have to modify anyway but i would like to keep it as close as possible since i am pretty happy with it as is.

thanks for your advice.
Related
17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

13/07/2023
Private inspector charge by builder

Building A New House

If you already have a contract, is the inspection cost stated in there? If not they would be forced to issue you a variation which you could of course object to.

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum