Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Colour Selection (Black tiles ?)

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We're about to build our first home and we can not figure out what the best colour for our tiles.

I'm shattered between glossy black and beige tiles and my wife wants the black tiles.

The problem with black tiles (regardless of how hard it is to clean) they blend with black leather couches, black TVs and TV stands.

I need to have a warm house. Black and white don't seem to provide what I need.

On the other hand, beige (creamy colour ) tiles means that all of your furniture needs to fall in the beige/brown category, but then your TV and TC stands will look odd in this setup.

Many of you may have come across such a problem. If you have photos of your black tiles or any display home with black tiles, that would be appreciated.
italk are you meaning floor tiles? wall tiles? or roof tiles? I'll assume floor tiles for the moment. What about a deep grey/charcoal colour. There are a number of people who have put in tiles of these colours.
You can still have a warm feel to a room with dark floor tiles. It just depends on what colours/finishes/textures you bring to it. The styles in the examples below may not necessarily be your thing but you can see how the lighter colours can warm up a room :

I agree, simply black & white gives a 'cold' feel to a room, like this :

I agree with kexkez - charcoal tiles are lovely and don't bring as much coldness to a room IMO.

Some lovely soft and textured rugs will also help to lend warmth and 'softness' to a room.
IMHO black tiles are classy, timeless and gorgeous!!
MMMM wont black make it look small
?
i hope you figure it out
Hi,

We were going to have dark grey/black tiles as well but have now decided to go a light grey tile.

I just thought that the black would make the room seem closed in and suffocating but a lighter grey will open the room up to give it a more spacious feel. A light grey tile will still match your black furniture.
and another thing Heat may be a factor as well. it would make it hot in the summer just like heat and black cars. are you having AC?
Just give the wife what she wants or you'll be hearing about it till you move out.
ok180
Just give the wife what she wants or you'll be hearing about it till you move out.

ok180, are you my husband in disguise? .....hmm?

iTalk
.....beige (creamy colour ) tiles means that all of your furniture needs to fall in the beige/brown category, but then your TV and TC stands will look odd in this setup.

Beige tiles don't limit you to brown and beige furniture at all. We had beige tiles in our old house, and had navy couches and navy upholstered dining chairs, with warm timber dining table, buffet, coffee table and TV unit. We added accents in gold and teal and it was lovely.

You could have reds and oranges, cool greens, pretty much whatever you like. The black pieces shouldn't look odd if you tie them in with maybe a few black cushions scattered around and/or a black table lamp or vase.
we have black, charcoal tiles in the laundry and powder room. They look beautiful but a real pain to keep clean. I think the balckness means that dust shows up more easily than beige tiles. You can also see water marks so you have to wipe them up quickly. If it is to go over a large area, you may find that you have to clean more often.
Black is too.. black!

I don't think beige limits what colours you can use
i chose glossy black tiles for the splashback and i can't wait to see the results! beige is too ...plain...and 'normal' for me ...every house you go to has beige or white tiles...contrary to beliefs, black actually makes the room appear larger and the mysteriousness create sexiness!
On the furnishing thing. I am no expert but wouldn't you be more restricted with colours having black floors than beige?
Related
29/04/2024
Black tile grout become a chalky colour.

Flooring & Floor Covering

Have some black tiles in our bathroom on one feature wall laid on top of the waterproofing. What I think is efflorescence or white chalky looking grout has turned the…

26/02/2024
Need help on wall colour selection

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, we have classic cream gutters, fascia’s, roller door and undercover carport. We are are going to paint the roof a terracotta orange colour. After some…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum