Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Mega Homes (Melbourne) anyone???

Page 1 of 1
Dear all,

Just wonder has anyone here built with Mega Homes before, it's a recommendation from my colleague but they don't seem to have display house anywhere ~ except they promise they could draft up the Building Contract in 3 DAYS for my loan application
!

Any feedbacks will be great!

http://www.megahomes.com.au/

Cheers
Wallace
Hi Wallace,

I would be quite sceptical about a promise to get a contract done in 3 days.

To prepare a contract means they have to get a soil report, engineering done for the slab so all your site works can be costed and you have to make all your selectios so they can be costed up.

I doubt if you could choose all your colours and finishes in 3 days, let alone have the contract prepared.

This would apply to any builder - I know nothing about Mega.

Really you need to make an informed choice based on a comparative spreadsheet and research. I think you need to stop trying to get the fastest solution and instead get the best solution for your budget.

I think it is time to face reality that you just won't get a final building contract in time.

Dale.
I think they probably can do a contract in 3 days, but it will have a lot of "subject to" clauses, thereby rendering the contract a little uncertain for future actual costs etc. It may end up being to your disadvantage.

good luck

Annie
I agree. Without seeing their actual work--display homes, how can you tell whether they're good builder or not?!?!? Unless they can give you some references that you can drive around and have a good look at them!
My colleague told me when they build the house for them, there are minor changes and they actually increased the size of their house a bit for the reason "it will look better". And while my colleague is worrying about over budget, they actually told her "don't worry"! Also the builder has reminded her something that is missing in the contract instead of she has to chase them up. And she also said when she went to the site with supervisor to check the progress, the supervisor actually complaint something not done properly and did it from scratch again, which is not even picked up by my colleagues ~ so it sounds like they have pride in what they are doing, and that is the part I find it attractive ~ Afterall, who needs 25 or 50 years warranty if the house is built properly on the first place right?

When I told them the land, they seem to be familiar and told me the next block of land (next to me) will be building house with them, so they could use that soil test as a base.

Regarding the contract, they said they could draft up the building contract in 3 days once we agreed on the inclusion (I passed them quite a detailed list). And as long as I don't choose color from other category, it's not going to affect the price.

It seems so far they are quite flexible, and they are happy to show me the house which is under construction. There is another family own Builder also promised to draft up a building contract in 1 week, so it seems like writing the contract doesn't take that long ~ I am thinking the reason volume builders are taking so long to draft a contract maybe because they have a queue of people or maybe going through a lots of management?? Not sure!
popcorn-chicken
I agree. Without seeing their actual work--display homes, how can you tell whether they're good builder or not?!?!? Unless they can give you some references that you can drive around and have a good look at them!

I agree to see the house work-in-progress, but display house is a different story. As most of the time what you see in the display house might not be what you get, especially after the buider put in maybe $100K worth of extra in the display house (not just furniture)

To these smaller builders, I think they will rely mostly on reference from ex-customers, so display house is not necessarily a must for them ~ right?
Our builder also provides a "fast contract" service if you have a good idea of what you want (less than a week). I have no idea why it takes the large building companies (and all their profits) months to go to contract either. I think they just don't see it as a priority once you've put down a deposit??? maybe???
Hmm, make sure you have your compaction report ready, and make sure you check the builder's list clearly that they don't charge you for soil ompaction again! and, yes, even you're builing right next to the one they're going to build on, but your part of the soil can be with lot more fill than your neighbour, or somwhow different. Always check the sub-division graph. If the two blocks look the same, no dash lines or dark shades, then they're ok to compare as same.

Yes, i do think the big builders taking lot longer to process because they simply have too many clients! Imagine if you're dealing the one building 1000s homes to maybe 100 homes?
They've built quite a lot of homes on my estate. All I can tell you is that the houses look OK, and that the build always seems to progress quickly.

I'm pretty sure that all the houses they've done here have been spec homes, no custom builds, and those do tend to move along quickly so the builder can get his money. It may be different for a custom build with progress payments. Or not.
kek
They've built quite a lot of homes on my estate. All I can tell you is that the houses look OK, and that the build always seems to progress quickly.

I'm pretty sure that all the houses they've done here have been spec homes, no custom builds, and those do tend to move along quickly so the builder can get his money. It may be different for a custom build with progress payments. Or not.

Hi, how can I tell if a house is spec home or not? By OK, does it mean the rendering or the front of the house is NOT exciting? Actually, as I have limited budget, I just plan to use the traditional facade or whatever that's the basic one with no rendering
you can tell if it's spec only by asking the builder direct - they all have so many variations, but if you want basic (not too many upgrades) then you're pretty much looking for spec...

A
I'm in Melbourne and I don't know anything about this builder. Do you know how long they have been around, or what sort of reputation do they have?

Personally, I would be very cautious about using a builder who doesn't have a good reliable reputation (not that I'm saying this is the case). However, due to the current global economic situation I would be inclined to go with a bigger builder with a good reliable reputation and that offers more security, rather than a smaller or newer one who is more likely to go bust. My advice is to do your research thoroughly before deciding.

~ Hels ~
When I say they look OK, I just mean they're nothing out of the ordinary - but they certainly look decent, and you can easily add some pretty touches later.

As for spec homes, those are just house and land deals where the builder buys the land and builds a house, "on spec", assuming that he'll sell it prior to completion or immediately after. Our first home was one of those - we bought before construction started, but only had to pay the standard 10% deposit and the balance at settlement (after the building was completed) under the REIV contract. Spec homes are usually sold through a real estate agent, so you'll find them listed on the agent's website - and there may be a board at the front of the property.

There are three or four speccies in the next street from me up for sale at the moment - can't recall whether any of them are that particular builder though.
There are builders who can contracts within 2 days. A builder I deal with delivers a fixed price contract within 3 days. These are for packages we have priced and put together already.
Hi,

This is a very old post but if you're still active on this forum can you advise if you went ahead with Mega Homes? I am talking to them regarding building my first home but wanted to know if anyone has had prior experience with this builder from Williamstown.

Regards,
MP
Mega Homes built my brothers house. Finish seems to be OK though getting them to repair anything after hand-over is a bit of a challenge.. (as it is with most builders i assume!)
My wife and I built with Mega in 2015. We had a contract agreed to and signed by all parties.
At the end, they requested final stage payment - which was all good...

We went to the office to sign off on everything and collect the keys, etc, then they hit us with "you owe us $20,000 for overages we incurred during construction..."

They were unable to advise me exactly what for or why we should be paying $20K over the quoted & contracted amount.

To this day, they still feel we owe them money, and are trying to get money back, but we keep fighting them.

I spoke to someone today at Consumer Affairs, and they are not surprised - they are hearing a lot of complaints lately about Mega Homes...

All in all, the build is fine, can't complain with that - Graeme, our contractor builder assigned to our project was great to work with - just the office cannot get paperwork right, don't understand technology, aren't too flexible, and their finance broker to established the NAB home loan was a joke - glad we only had to work with him for a week and nothing longer!

This is the short version!!

My advice to anyone looking now in 2019 - STAY AWAY!!! BEWARE!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
https://insolvencynotices.asic.gov.au/b ... estate=VIC
Anyone knows good builders in NT
Related
23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

11/12/2023
GJ Gardner Homes North East Melbourne

Building A New House

May I ask why you chose not to use GJ Gardiner? I'm actually meeting with one of the sales guys tomorrow for an appointment. Definitely not signing anything yet…

9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum