Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Comments for our new floor plan please

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

We are going to build a house although we are still waiting for our land to be ready. Hopefully everything will be on schedule. We would like to have some comments about our floor plan and colour selection.

Main colours throughout Internals

Ceiling / Cornice - White

Walls - Bone

Skirting / Architrave - White

Windows / Reveals / Frames - Paperbark

Front Doors - Vintage Plum

Carpet - Impression Lockwood Canvas

Flooring / Tiles - See Pic Below

Externals

Roof - Gunmetal

Gutters - Paperbark

Fascia - Paperbark

Downpipes - Paperbark

Portico - Jasper

Brick - Boral Sandy Beach

Morter - Off White

We had done our tiles, colour and tender appointments but we didn't get many samples from the builder..... Not sure if we can request a sample for our carpet, brick and roof tiles.....we will probably try next week when their office is open in the new year......

See our floor plan below:
We have added a walk-in pantry to the original floor plan

And we are still waiting on the developer about whether they can change the proposed crossover so that we can have our garage on the left hand side of the house. As we want to have our bathroom and laundry facing west and our alfresco facing east. Finger crossed that this can be done......
woo hoo!!! Another Dromana!!!

I'm biased, so I love ur plans!! Hahaha...good thinking re the wip, I wish I had thought about that!

Can't wait to c ur house being built...give a shout out if u have any questions!
I am building with PD (the Hayman 29) it is a very similar design to the Dromana

We have not had our tender of any selection appointments yet but how many of those items pictured were upgrades?
I like the design I moved the internal garage access door so the lounge does not look straight into the garage. Also made B3 have the same size window as B4. I would like a door on the w.c in the ens so when Im keeping the seat warm the wife can still have a shower
but that would mean losing w.i.r space

Onebuild, I think where you've put the internal access door is where the fridge goes.

Kikin, the WIP addirion is fantastic. I'd put doors on the rumpus room, otherwise you'll have three living areas that cannot be close off from each other.

Also, if you can't change your crossover, I'd pay to have another one put in or do a drive that winds across the block so you can keep the house the way you want it. It will be far, far, far better to have the living areas on the east that west.
I'd do whatever needed to be done to ensure that could happen.

Very nice plan.

Jo
joles
Onebuild, I think where you've put the internal access door is where the fridge goes.

hehehhe yepp..thats the fridge space...but kikin, looking back at our house now, i wish we had switched the pantry space and fridge space, cos we didnt think about having one side of the fridge against the wall...which i think will make it more difficult to open a side by side fridge...

We also had to change our ensuite around for estate rules, which meant we lost a bit of WIR space (
) but we got a double rail and extended the shelving to 2 m high. We also had to add another long window to the other side of our m/bedroom wall, but it turned out good cos we got a bulkhead and extended the bedroom a little.

We extended the back 2 bedrooms by a metre (cos we thought the bedrooms were too small) and added a long window to bed 3. We put a door on our ensuite and extended the alfresco, and added the internal door... i think these were the biggest things we did...hehe

If i could change anything, i would *try* and find some more storage space somewhere, cos the linen cupboard is TINY!!!! hehehe
(jo would agree with me
)

btw, where are u building?
Which way is your North facing?
Yes Newbies! More cupboards. I'd steal 69cm
from the family room. (90mm for the wall, 600mm for the depth of the cupboard) and put a bank of cupboards along the hallway opening towards the laundry/toilet etc.

It would still leave flush walls in the family room, and it wouldn't look weird cos it would be level with the nib wall in hte kitchen for the benches.

You'd fit about four doors along there I reckon.

Mek, I'd guess North is to the rear.
I would delete the WC "nook" so that I don't need to squeeze into the WC in order to close the door. Move bathroom door so that it's on the mini hallway side.
Chris
Nice plan. I love that when standing in the entry area you can no longer see right into your main living areas now because of that walk in pantry. Great idea!

Joles has already mentioned a door for the rumpus, I would also consider putting a slider on the passageway door down to the minor bedrooms. It's nice to be able to limit the sound traveling to minor bedrooms/. It's also a way of helping to zone your house for heating and cooling.

I would consider making sure that bed 2,3,4 all have the same size windows if possible. That way it is easier for what ever window furnishing you have to be switched around if you want to do so at a later date. Having them all the same size will sometimes also get you a discount for furnishing them from some companies.

Can i ask. where is your linen cupboard?
You really do need one somewhere.
Are you planning on having a cupboard in the laundry perhaps or is that a bench next to the sink?
Could you have the garage door open into the entry way and put a linen cupboard where the garage door is?
Not ideal but a possibility. you could move the doorway where the entry moves into the main living area over right against the wir wall . so the garage door opening doesn't block the opening to the main living area.

I do want to say I like your colour choices. I think they go really well together.
mek
Which way is your North facing?

If laundary is on the west.. that would make the rear the north.

I would put doors on your theatre room to block out noise. Apart from that I think it is a great design.
ChrisL
I would delete the WC "nook" so that I don't need to squeeze into the WC in order to close the door. Move bathroom door so that it's on the mini hallway side.
Chris

thats a good idea! we havent got our toilet in yet, so not sure how much we have to squeezee hehehe

also, maybe consider putting another window in ur dining room to match the lounge room, cos we've found that corner to be a bit dark so far...
joles
Jo

Doh
fridges are overrated anyway ha-ha.
I forgot one thing can you move the eastern window in the rumpus to the rear northern wall for summer breezes.?
I'd want to have easy access to my backyard, so I'd install sliding doors on the northern wall of the Rumpus.
If you want to close off your ensuite toilet, I'd reduce the size of the adjacent WIR & just install a wall of robes on the western wall of your bedroom retreat, to compensate. Sure you'd lose your retreat, but you've still got 3 living areas.
Southies
I'd want to have easy access to my backyard, so I'd install sliding doors on the northern wall of the Rumpus.

outside doors on the theatre!!! well I assume it will be your theatre room...
We are having normal doors for bedroom robes. I'm not really fond of the sliding ones, especially if they are mirror.

Are yours mirror sliding? Maybe you could consider changing the door type - but thats only my opinion..

Have you got a picture of the facade you have chosen?

Regards
Quote:
woo hoo!!! Another Dromana!!!

I'm biased, so I love ur plans!! Hahaha...good thinking re the wip, I wish I had thought about that!

Can't wait to c ur house being built...give a shout out if u have any questions!

Hi Newbies,

In your colour appointment, have you got the samples for your selected carpet, benchtop, brick and roof? For example for the brick, we chose "Sandy Beach" but I am not able to find out this colour from Boral. Do you know if we can ask for a sample for our chosen brick?

By the way, it is really great to be in Homeone to share opinions with everyone of you!!!
:)

That's so impressed to see lots of responses here
Quote:
I am building with PD (the Hayman 29) it is a very similar design to the Dromana Smile

We have not had our tender of any selection appointments yet but how many of those items pictured were upgrades?

Hi Zerosignal,

For our selection, all tiles except for the laundry one are upgrades. It would cost about $2000 for the whole house flooring.

However, you could certainly choose the cat 1 tiles and it would save much about $1000...it all depends on your preference.

Good luck!!
Quote:
Onebuild, I think where you've put the internal access door is where the fridge goes. Smile

Kikin, the WIP addirion is fantastic. I'd put doors on the rumpus room, otherwise you'll have three living areas that cannot be close off from each other.

Also, if you can't change your crossover, I'd pay to have another one put in or do a drive that winds across the block so you can keep the house the way you want it. It will be far, far, far better to have the living areas on the east that west.
I'd do whatever needed to be done to ensure that could happen. Wink
Very nice plan. Very Happy

Jo Very Happy

Hi Jo,

Exactly!!
We would have a sliding door for the rumpus room shown like below

Your suggestion about the crossover is fantastic but as our house is just setback by 5m from our master room, we are not sure if it would be possible to have a long driveway across the block..
PringlesMk2
We are having normal doors for bedroom robes. I'm not really fond of the sliding ones, especially if they are mirror.

Are yours mirror sliding? Maybe you could consider changing the door type - but thats only my opinion..

Have you got a picture of the facade you have chosen?

Regards

Hi Pringles

Sorry for being a bit of a bogan. But the display home we modelled ours on had opaque glass in the sliding robe doors in the dressing room. When we asked about mirrors we were told "that would be much cheaper". I guess we were pleased, but the aura of disdain in the voice of the selection person led me to suspect we were "missing something".

Anyway, we went with the mirrors....very practical. I'd be happy to be "set straight" about the superiority of materials such as opaque glass over mirrors. If we've chosen something inferior, that's fine. It's just nice to know ......like they say "even your best friends won't tell you"

Cheers
zeke
Related
20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum