Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Slab thickness

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Just wondering how thick an H class slab is. I've googled and can't seem to find the info.

The reason I ask is that our builder has 'found rock in all 3 bore holes' at 700mm depth (even though where we're building there are very few rocks according to many people!?!?)

Does anyone know whether they would have to dig this deep to lay our H Class Slab?

Many Thanks

TC
No, just because they have done a bore to 700mm the slab will not go down that far into the ground, although im not sure how thick the slab should be. I know my house is a class H, however our builder used wofflepods (not sure on spelling) which is more or so a foam box.

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you more information,

Cheers
Jamie.
newhomebuilder
No, just because they have done a bore to 700mm the slab will not go down that far into the ground, although im not sure how thick the slab should be. I know my house is a class H, however our builder used wofflepods (not sure on spelling) which is more or so a foam box.

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you more information,

Cheers
Jamie.

Great thanks for the prompt reply Jamie.

I'm hoping that our 21m*15m slab will sit on the ground and not have to be dug so deep.
We'll find out our slab costs in a couple of weeks.

All the best with your build
The minimum depth of the beams in a class H slab varies depending on the the construction type.
clad frame - 400mm
articulated masonry - 500mm
masonry veneer - 700mm
articulated full masonry - 1000mm

The depth of the beams is dependant on reaching a bearing pressure of 50 kPa.
If your builder uses waffle pods, it will actually sit ontop of the ground, therefore the rock shouldn't be a problem for the slab. Other things like drainage could be a possible be a problem but 700mm is quite deep for this.

Good Luck
ausdesign
The minimum depth of the beams in a class H slab varies depending on the the construction type.
clad frame - 400mm
articulated masonry - 500mm
masonry veneer - 700mm
articulated full masonry - 1000mm

The depth of the beams is dependant on reaching a bearing pressure of 50 kPa.

Thanks for the replies.

Would a regular project home (PD,Henley,Clarendon etc) be Masonry Veneer from the above list?

Thanks
TC
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

24/06/2023
Slab design

Building A New House

Although I am a big opponent of using waffle pod slabs over H2/P soils under any circumstances, in your case I would certainly opt in to keep piers under central…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum