Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Near Train Track - Additional Cost for Acoustics

Page 1 of 1
We’re thinking of buying a vacant plot of land near a train track. There are minimum sound insulation requirements mandated for building.

1) Has anyone built near a train track and had to comply? If yes, has the additional insulation helped to reduce noise from passing trains?

2) To build a double-storey 45 sq house, how much more should I expect to pay?

TIA
Insulation is not the only thing to consider when accounting for noise attenuation and budget.
Vibration is as big an issues as sound.
You must isolate the house or at least the adjoins walls from the vibrations.
Sound attenuation typically requires greater than single glazing, usually fixed or awning windows, if fixed then mechanical ventilation is required, possible increased stud sizes to account for increased acoustic batts thickness, roof and ceiling insulation, possible increased ceiling joist size and centers to accommodate acoustic insulation, and possibly resilient mount plasterboard and acoustic plasterboard.
Cost is dependent on the size of house. But ball park, add 30k
I built on a main road (Highway) which also was near a rail line (Sydney Metro Electric). Yes you will need an acoustic assesment condcuted for noise and vibration. The outcome of the assesement will dictate what measures you need to include in the build. Bimbob has covered pretty much everything that may be required.

For my build, all windows facing the road needed to be 6.38mm laminated glazing and specific seals around the glass. The side windows needed to be 6.38 single glazing. I also needed to use thicker gyprock in the front of the house. I built in 2009 so glass prices weren't as crazy as they are now.

If the rail line is electric and your property backs onto the rail line you will most likely need an Electrolysis Report as well to ensure the design of the Development foundations are such that the foundations are protected from corrosion hazards from stray traction current.

My build was on the other side of the highway to the rail line so I didnt need to do this, so I'm not sure what would be invloved or costs etc.

Hope this info helps.

anselmpaul
We’re thinking of buying a vacant plot of land near a train track. There are minimum sound insulation requirements mandated for building.

1) Has anyone built near a train track and had to comply? If yes, has the additional insulation helped to reduce noise from passing trains?

2) To build a double-storey 45 sq house, how much more should I expect to pay?

TIA

Our standard double-glazed window is tested to achieve, Rw 34, and can be glazed to suit Rw 39. The price is good too...
Related
12/10/2023
Building cost and builder in Melbourne

Building A New House

custom probably not. Volume, most defiantly, but spec would vary. If youre doing a knock down, there additional costs associated with that that will eat into your budget…

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum