Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Every Day is a school day - Dilapidation reports

Page 1 of 1
Something happened to us this week that I thought might be interesting to share and also a good lesson for all of us.

In NSW for CDC approvals ( and often construction certificates) we are required to get a dilapidation report done of the council assets and if you are building close to a neighbouring building that as well ( can't remember how close exactly but it's close). But for most builds neighbouring properties are optional.

I am pretty sure that the report can be undertaken by anyone for council and generally just needs to be a series of photos of the pavement and roads that are labelled.

For a number of years we have been going the extra step and hiring an engineer to do all neighbouring properties, inside and out including driveways, fences etc. This costs around $1800 or so.

This week that has paid off.

We completed a project last year, and the neighbour, omg let's just say the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor!

She has a home built in the 1920's and her driveway probably built around the same time was severely damaged and cracked before we started building. We didn't even go near her place during construction. Anyway she has been hitting us up for a new driveway for several months

( see attached photo from the Dilap report).

Yesterday we were served with legal papers, and if it wasn't for the independent report we could be in trouble.

So point being, before you start building, invest in an engineer to inspect your neighbours properties so you can't be blamed for any pre existing damage.

Cheers

Simeon

I think somebody should have gone to Specsavers....
sorry couldn't help it!

Some people will try anything, good on you for having the report done.
Allnamesrgone
I think somebody should have gone to Specsavers....
sorry couldn't help it!

Some people will try anything, good on you for having the report done.

Thanks!

Not only specsavers....I think some medication may be needed as well
Sounds like it.
Nice work, $1800 well spent
Related
10/05/2024
New build every wall doing this…

General Discussion

We recently moved into our new build. We have no idea what is happening as every wall has a perfectly straight horizontal line going through it. It stands out terribly.…

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum