Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Crooked wall or cornice?

Page 1 of 1
Anyone know how this could be fixed? Where the cornice is and where the 2.7 ends going into 3m the wall looks crooked against the cornice
put a 2m level to it and measure the gap, Usually something that is visible like that is out of tolerance. Depending on who your builder is they could just fix it, or argue with you. Either way if its out of tolerance it should be redone regardless of what the builder says.

Some things are not worth arguing for (choose your battles), but personally i cant stand anything that's visible. You have to live with it, not the builder. If you go around and find other out of tolerance items that don't bother you, you can play the "reasonable guy" card where you wont settle for some items, but will on others.
As above, pick your battles. It is out of tolerance, I would probably suggest going back to the builder and say that you would be fine if he skim coats the bulkhead to feather out the wall to make it less obvious.

good luck
Cornice guy says he’ll try something to make it less obvious so will see what he does.
Frame def was out by .5-6 i.e gradually got worse the higher I measured
He will probably need to start feathering out from roughly between the 2x power points on the wall.
Before he does, you might want to measure the other two returns, ( i am assuming the section shown is where the ceiling pops up?)
you should check what the other lengths are? so you're not moving the problem to a different wall.
Whydidibuildagaib
Cornice guy says he’ll try something to make it less obvious so will see what he does.

hence why the tolerances on plumb, straightness etc. are over 2M. It getting gradually worse over the length is not ok. Should have been checked before plaster then packed or straightened to ensure plaster went on properly. That was framers job, not the plasterers. Not an excuse for the plasterers poor job, but just so you're aware of what the genesis of the issue is.
ponzutwo
Whydidibuildagaib

hence why the tolerances on plumb, straightness etc. are over 2M. It getting gradually worse over the length is not ok. Should have been checked before plaster then packed or straightened to ensure plaster went on properly. That was framers job, not the plasterers. Not an excuse for the plasterers poor job, but just so you're aware of what the genesis of the issue is.

Funny enough the builder makes their own frames so it’s the builders fabrication issue (steel framing)
Whydidibuildagaib
ponzutwo
Whydidibuildagaib

Funny enough the builder makes their own frames so it’s the builders fabrication issue (steel framing)

same thing. Not the plasterers job to fix the plumbness of the frame is what i was getting at
The photo is not really clear but to me it looks like twist in the cornice.
Slight anticlockwise rotation at the top of the cornice and slightly clockwise at bottom should fix it back within tolerance.
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum