Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there, I'm new to all of this and planning to build a place with one of those volume home builders (e.g. Carter Grange, Glenvill Homes, Thomas Archer). Currently nearly finishing the design phase so will get estimations & contract soon, etc.

I understand that it will be a HIA contract (I'm guessing that's pretty normal) - but I'm wondering what is 'normal' or recommended in terms of:

Some more specific questions (depending on the above):

Thanks
If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required.
However the builder will have a contractual possession of the building site, and the responsibility for site safety, therefore the inspections should be with arrangement with the builder. However the builder cannot prevent you.

HIA and MBAV standard house building contract are most common but lack some protection for the owner (remember they are formulated by the builders, for the benefit of the builders).

There are Elephants in the room.

One of the Elephants in the room are special conditions where the builder and the owner can "customise" the standard contract for their benefit. The correct interpretation of builders special conditions is essential as is the opportunity to put in your own.

Another is common disparity between skill set of the builder and the owner. Remember, the builder is experienced contract manager, are you?, or is it simply "Lamb to the slaughter" as I have seen so many times.

Yet another is overview of your building design and documentation by an expert before you sign, looking for errors, omissions, inconsistencies and "builder's risk" transferred to the owner.

Yes you can have your contract documentation reviewed by a lawyer but that may not necessarily cover you for the building matters.
Lawyers are not builders.

Experienced building consultant will know building matters "hot spots" should prepare you for the journey ahead, and be "in the cloud" for you.

You should absolutely have your own inspections

1 Pre contract review
2 Pre slab
3 Frame
4 Pre plaster
5 Waterproofing
6 Pre final
7 Building contract reconciliation ( if there are variations, adjustments, extensions of time)

Forget conveyancers, they don't have the skill set.
Related
24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

6/02/2024
Property Boundaries in New Estates

General Discussion

The setback from the kerb is 4m. It is council land to provide an area for services like sewer main, gas mains, water mains, underground power or poles for overhead power,…

4/04/2024
New Home Build - Boundary Retaining Wall replacement advice

Building A New House

Can anyone recommend a good/affordable retaining wall and fence builder that I can get a quote from located in Sydney?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum