Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor Plan Questions

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

In the process of a new build for a family home. In forming our floor plan, planning for the study has been somewhat left until the end and then sandwiched in to a space. I've attached a floor plan.

https://imgur.com/a/VU5bF4w

We are currently wrestling with the following choices;

I am interested to hear anyones thoughts on the above or anything else on the floorplan. For context, north is aligned to the top of the page, and we are situated on a farm with a very nice view to the north-east.

Thanks,
Gus
You can upload the image directly here, that url you sent is full of spam ADs
I tried that multiple times, couldn't get it to work
GusM

If you are using a phone the easiest way to post a photo I'd to press the reply button and it gives you the option to post a photo straight from your phone
chippy
GusM

If you are using a phone the easiest way to post a photo I'd to press the reply button and it gives you the option to post a photo straight from your phone

See if this works
I've had a look at your plans and I can offer some suggestions working within the footprint of what you already have drawn.

1) I personally prefer the study door off the hallway, with the desk on the south side. You can use a full height cavity slider to make it look better from the hallway.

2) Having the wet areas off a separate hallway works really well. There's no need for your bathroom to be 4.2m long though. I have attached a proposed reconfiguration which uses the extra space for a toys cupboard, a walk in linen and a better bathroom layout

3) The door to Bed 1 is open to the living area, and the long hallway isn't great. The ensuite configuration is awkward as well. In my sketch I have lined up the walls and created a walk-through dressing room leading to the ensuite.

NativeZen
I've had a look at your plans and I can offer some suggestions working within the footprint of what you already have drawn.

1) I personally prefer the study door off the hallway, with the desk on the south side. You can use a full height cavity slider to make it look better from the hallway.

2) Having the wet areas off a separate hallway works really well. There's no need for your bathroom to be 4.2m long though. I have attached a proposed reconfiguration which uses the extra space for a toys cupboard, a walk in linen and a better bathroom layout

3) The door to Bed 1 is open to the living area, and the long hallway isn't great. The ensuite configuration is awkward as well. In my sketch I have lined up the walls and created a walk-through dressing room leading to the ensuite.

Thanks heaps for the reply and detailed markup. You've put a fair bit of effort into that!
1. I agree and I think we will change it to this

2. We hadn't considered anything like this and it looks really good. I think what led us to our current configuration is a friends kitchen/WIP layout that we really liked, which we've sort of modelled this one on. Which has then led to the wet area configuration. But you've certainly given us some food for thought.

3. A couple of reasons for the current layout - to take advantage of the easterly view, and also avoid having too many doors visible from the bed. I know these are strange and probably not that common, but it's what we want and happy to accept an inefficient layout to get that. Thanks for the suggestion though.
GusM
Hi all,

In the process of a new build for a family home. In forming our floor plan, planning for the study has been somewhat left until the end and then sandwiched in to a space. I've attached a floor plan.

• Doorway from the study is via the loungeroom - not ideal for noise etc. The reason behind this at the moment is to avoid having a door at the end of the passage for visual reasons. But functionally that may work better.
  • Also thinking we need to allow for storage in the lounge (kids toys etc.). The logical place to put this would probably be on the north side abutting the study. Which is another reason to shift the door
  • I am aware the study is very small. We don't need much from it - a place we can leave a laptop set up on a desk with a printer. It is not somewhere we will be spending all day.
  • Our designer and builder have also mentioned that the walk in pantry is quite small. We are still considering shifting the west wall of the house further west, and distributing the extra width through the bedrooms on the north side and the lounge and WIP on the south side.
  • Another thing we are deciding on is whether to have the bathroom door going into the main passage, or into the small landing room on it's east side (as currently shown). We wanted to reduce doors into the passage but our designer has made a good suggestion that the west side of the landing area could be used for storage if the bathroom is accessed directly from the hallway.

I am interested to hear anyones thoughts on the above or anything else on the floorplan. For context, north is aligned to the top of the page, and we are situated on a farm with a very nice view to the north-east.

Thanks,
Gus

i would like to offer some ideas but need to understand your site better...can you describe your local climate, do you plan for a separate garage, where will that be located, do you plan to have a sheltered connection between house and garage, where will water tanks, waste water, clotheslines, driveway and guest parking be located?
oklouise
GusM
Hi all,

• Doorway from the study is via the loungeroom - not ideal for noise etc. The reason behind this at the moment is to avoid having a door at the end of the passage for visual reasons. But functionally that may work better.
  • Also thinking we need to allow for storage in the lounge (kids toys etc.). The logical place to put this would probably be on the north side abutting the study. Which is another reason to shift the door
  • I am aware the study is very small. We don't need much from it - a place we can leave a laptop set up on a desk with a printer. It is not somewhere we will be spending all day.
  • Our designer and builder have also mentioned that the walk in pantry is quite small. We are still considering shifting the west wall of the house further west, and distributing the extra width through the bedrooms on the north side and the lounge and WIP on the south side.
  • Another thing we are deciding on is whether to have the bathroom door going into the main passage, or into the small landing room on it's east side (as currently shown). We wanted to reduce doors into the passage but our designer has made a good suggestion that the west side of the landing area could be used for storage if the bathroom is accessed directly from the hallway.

Thanks,
Gus

i would like to offer some ideas but need to understand your site better...can you describe your local climate, do you plan for a separate garage, where will that be located, do you plan to have a sheltered connection between house and garage, where will water tanks, waste water, clotheslines, driveway and guest parking be located?

Located in northern victoria. Semi Arid/Mediterranean. Similar to Adelaide, maybe a touch warmer.

Separate garage will be located south of the house, approx 10-15m from door. We won't have a sheltered connection, not a huge issue in our climate. Driveway approaches from south west and exits to south east. Ancillary services listed above will be south East of house
GusM
oklouise
GusM
Hi all,

Thanks,
Gus

Located in northern victoria. Semi Arid/Mediterranean. Similar to Adelaide, maybe a touch warmer.

Separate garage will be located south of the house, approx 10-15m from door. We won't have a sheltered connection, not a huge issue in our climate. Driveway approaches from south west and exits to south east. Ancillary services listed above will be south East of house

having built in different rural locations may i suggest that the house should suit the location and needs to be different from homes in town..eg if you will be working and playing outdoors it's great to be able to access a toilet without having to walk through the whole house, do you need/want a separate entry foyer when the front porch will act as a mudroom and there are restrictions to the location of water pipes so you need to check with your builders /plumber/engineer to make sure that location of all underground water pipes is confirmed before deciding any parking or driveway and it's also very time and cost effective to install driveways and parking areas before the house so that deliveries, builders and you have easy access during the build ...my suggestions include several alternate locations for the study and laundry. a more generous family bathroom for several to share at once with optional two way access to the toilet and a master suite with better views ... adding furniture helps better understand the available space and consider the fireplace/tv wall on the north so that you can enjoy the views, the fire and TV from the same direction and this allows for a wall of storage for dinnerware, bookshelves, toys, games, alternate study nook etc...dimensions are approximate and happy to test alternate ideas
Related
4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum